A Lesson from the strings

CTurner

Reaction score
String brands and recommendations are everywhere on this forum, but I wanted to add just one more example of how much difference they can make.

My Kiwaya KS-5 has never quite filled my expectations. I heard others talk about how loud theirs was, but I never got that. I also had slight intonation problems, tuning problems, and there was something about fingering that never felt right.

I'm not sure what strings were originally on, maybe Fremont clears. I re-strung, in sequence over a few months time, with Aquilas, Fremont black, Martin and Daddario. Just never sounded or felt right to me and I began to think that soprano was not something I could manage.

But I just put on some Worth soprano/concert clear mediums (CM) and the difference was immediately heard, even as the strings are stretching into shape. This little baby is loud and has the bright soprano sound I was looking for. A real pleasure to touch and fret, they feel accurate and intonation and chord pitch problems seem gone. I may sometime try the Hards, but for now I am very happy.

Strings aren't that expensive: so don't give up if you don't like what you have!:)

Best,
Craig Turner

again goes to show that different strings sound different and you need to experiment yourself No one ukulele responds exactly the same to every string type so when I see post on what are the best strings ...it really seems like a ridicoulous question to me. yes there are favorites that usually sound good but what your particular ear and sound you have in your mind is all yours and none can decide that for you.

A friend bought a second hand luthier made soprano. It looked fabulous, but he was very disappointed with the sound. It had intonation problems, sounded dull, and had more than one buzz going on. He was convinced something was structurally wrong with it - a loose brace, a hidden crack or somesuch. I checked it over very thoroughly, inside and out (dental mirror and flashlight). I tapped it judiciously. I attempted to make it flex (very gently!), but could find nothing wrong with it. It was immaculately made, and in perfect condition.

I had to do something, so I took off the Aquilas that were on it when my friend bought it, and fitted some Worth clear medium strings. It was transformed! Perfect intonation, lovely clear sound, plenty of volume, no buzzes. I was amazed - its owner was delighted.

Aquilas are great strings, as are Worths, but it does pay to find the strings that your uke prefers.

Ukantor.

Top Bottom