WAH! Lost a battle with a knife while in the kitchen...

rappsy

Reaction score
While cooking, I sliced into my fretting index finger right where it pushes on the strings.

I have heard that there is a medical "something or another" that you can put on the finger that hardens the area and maybe I can use this while it is healing.

Anyone have any ideas as to what can be done?

Bad luck rappsy. I did exactly the same thing a few years back. It was so frustrating as it took ages to heal. I ended up training my other three pegs to take over the role the index had. And that too was frustrating. Here's to a quick healing mate.

Don't "abuse" it and it will heal more quickly.

Lenny, Lenny, Lenny, what in God's name were you doing in the kitchen anyways. I thought your house staff took care of those matters for you. :p

So sorry to hear about this, bad luck, very bad luck. Maybe you can learn every barr chord known to man and come out of this a more accomplished player.

Lenny, Lenny, Lenny, what in God's name were you doing in the kitchen anyways. I thought your house staff took care of those matters for you. :p

So sorry to hear about this, bad luck, very bad luck. Maybe you can learn every barr chord known to man and come out of this a more accomplished player.

Apparently, while I was down, my staff abandoned me. :p They shouldn't have left a loaded knife nearby.

It happened right after my surgery. I guess my fingers were feeling left out with all the cuts in the other areas.

It has healed somewhat when you look at it, but when you put pressure on it, I can feel it. I wonder if there's a splinter or something in there.

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice from everybody. I have been playing with the other three some more, and actually there are times when doing that makes it easier to transition to other chords, especially barre chords, when the index finger is hanging around waiting for something to do.

If you can't learn from our screw ups...

Not much you can do with a cut on a fretting finger, except a week off. If it is not too bad NewSkin liquid bandage can make it heal faster. Heal fast Lenny.

Sorry to hear about that my friend. Try Doc's suggestion.

Heal fast.

I hope you get well soon. I'm an apprentice Chef, so handling knives is a daily task. The first counter-intuitive thing about knives is that the SHARPER they are the safer they are. Blunt knives encourage people to push on them too hard and then when they slip (also because they are blunt) they can really do some damage. Also look up some video's on safe kitchen knife use. The hand that is holding the food should hold the food with your finger tips curled back, away from the knife while using your knuckles as the knife guide. Definitely NO fingers sticking out.

Anthony

Great advice, Anthony. And rappsy, now is a good time to practice harmonica. ;) Heal quickly, y'hear?

Heal fast rappsy. Don't use the finger. Keep it clean, dry, and apply aloe vera gel to it. If it swells or gets red, go to the clinic right away. If, after it heals, you still feel ouchie when you use it, get it xray'd.
I remember when Kenny Baker (Bill Monroe's fiddle player) dropped a very sharp hunting knife, then tried to catch it, slicing his hand. Buddy Spicher played on Bill's next album, not Kenny. Kenny got lucky, and his healing was complete because he allowed it to rest.

Lenny, you can try "Gorilla tip fingertip protectors" for guitar players. Just came across this last week or so.
Alfred.com/guitargear flyer was in my acoustic guitar magazine. Might help or maube not. Has to be your call. Good luck and get well soon.

Thanks to all the well wishers and advice. I picked up some Liquid bandages tonight and will try it. If not, the Gorilla tips look like an interesting solution as well.

I will also be giving it a rest, so will be cancelling my Carnegie Deli (I mean Carnegie Hall) appearances. <smile>

For minor slices: superglue is cyano-acrylate, used in delicate surgery (ok, especially by veterinarians). You can apply a bit on a sore fingertip, let it dry, and play at your heart's content. I just wouldn't use it on actual stitches. It also makes your fingerprints illegible, in case you need to commit a crime. A thing to know is that it actually sets by contact with moisture (in the air, or in you skin).

Top Bottom