Rosewood top?

Walker78

Reaction score
Hi, just looking at the Bruko website and they have a tenor with Rosewood top. Never heard of Rosewood as a soundboard material, any thoughts?
Cheers

I heard a sound clip from HMS a few years back on a Pono tenor all rosewood (top, back and sides) which IMO really sounded nice. I was going to order it but it was a sold out and it appears it was a limited run.

I had an all rosewood laminate ukulele for quite some time. It had a beautiful tone. I would still have it, but I gave it to my niece.

Here's a link to a sound sample of that all Rosewood Pono. Back then, it has been enthusiastically discussed on this forum here.

Generally, I would assume that a hardwood top makes for a rather harsh, percussive sound.

I have one of the all-rosewood Ponos (I believe there were only eight). After three years, it's still one of my favorites - partly the sound and partly the way it feels in my hands.

Last edited:
I have an all Rosewood Bruko concert (top, back and sides). Lovely instrument. It has the characteristic Bruko bright tone which I have mellowed a bit by tuning down to Bb. I have some You Tube clips with it. I'll see if I can find a relatively recent one and post it here.

Generally, I would assume that a hardwood top makes for a rather harsh, percussive sound.[/QUOTE]

In general, not a safe "assumption." Could vary among different instruments based on the specific piece of rosewood....variety, seasoning, grain, thickness, etc,. etc. Some, including one or two I've heard, are nowhere near harsh, and I imagine some are.

Percussive and plonky is what a Brüko does best. Not only that, but I've heard it said that it matters not what a Brüko is made from, they all sound the same. Whilst that's obviously a generalisation, I think individual manufacturers do have distinct tonal qualities. Comes down to the fact that different wood choices make less of a difference to the sound than how it's put together.

As for Brüko, they're fabulous instruments, I'm sure you'd be pleased with it.

Last edited:
Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and really appreciate the video links.
I found pics of a Koolau all Rosewood tenor model from a while back, can't be bad as a top wood if they decided to use it.
I Just heard back from Bruko, their UK website is down so had to ask how to pay. Turns out it's actually a concert size, it is advertised as a tenor for some reason. It's a bit of a mixture of woods really, Rosewood top/back, Zebrawood sides, Maple neck, Ebony bridge/fretboard.
Its either that or a mahogany satin Pono anyway, the Bruko is winning at the moment!

I'm pretty sure there is little or no difference between the body size on a bruko concert and tenor anyway.

Interesting you mention Pono, I'm considering one as my next uke. Bit different to the Brüko though.

I'm guessing the rosewood concert Brueko will sound just like every other Brueko. Bright, loud and punchy!!!! Go for it!

I'm guessing the rosewood concert Brueko will sound just like every other Brueko. Bright, loud and punchy!!!! Go for it!

Done! Should arrive next week, pics and stuff coming soon.
Must have had at least 5 Bruko sopranos in the last few years.
I've sold every one for whatever reason, but something always draws me back in and I keep buyin em!
Here's hopin this ones a keeper :D

Top Bottom