PDA

View Full Version : Li'l Rev's family could use our help.

ScooterD35
07-29-2015, 05:16 AM
Li'l Rev's wife is facing a difficult and costly diagnosis, and their family could use some help. These are some of the kindest souls in the Ukulele world, and we can make a real difference in their battle.

http://www.gofundme.com/7fb33uw83w

Thanks,

Scooter

wayfarer75
07-29-2015, 07:00 AM
Thank you for posting this! I hope Lil Rev's wife gets well. Cancer sucks.

Ukulele Eddie
07-29-2015, 04:11 PM
Thanks for letting us know. I hadn't heard and my stepdad is taking a few uke lessons with Lil' Rev. It's difficult news to hear and hopefully people will continue to step up.

ksiegel
07-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Thanks for passing this on. I only wish I could give more.

-Kurt

hollisdwyer
07-29-2015, 06:45 PM
I realise what a financially crippling exercise health care is in the USA. Wish I could have sent more but have shared the story on my Facebook page requesting friends and family to decide for themselves if they are in a position to contribute.
For me this is just a pay back to the UU community who have been so generous and helpful.

katysax
07-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Thank you for letting us know.

Cornfield
07-30-2015, 01:42 AM
The most important thing I've read here in months.

paullchter
07-30-2015, 05:02 AM
Let's do it!!!!!

Paul

hollisdwyer
07-30-2015, 06:30 AM
Since I sent my contribution yesterday I noticed that the total jumped almost 20%, but there is still a way to go before they reach their required target. This is achievable! Tell all your uke friends about this story and give them the opportunity to pay it forward.

PhilUSAFRet
07-30-2015, 07:59 AM
"So let it be written, so let it be done." Posted it on all my Facebook uke related pages.

rappsy
07-30-2015, 10:55 AM
It feels good to give back. I've taken two classes with Lil Rev and he gives 100%. Best wishes to the family.

bonesigh
07-30-2015, 12:39 PM
I look into this because I'm a suspicious kind of person and it's oh, so terribly true!!! I have a fellow uker I know who talked to him just recently. Sad. So please, yes, tell all your friends to help out!

hoosierhiver
07-30-2015, 12:53 PM
They are great people, Rev has spent countless hours playing for old folks in nursing homes.

Here's a suggestion for getting some early Christmas shopping done. http://www.lilrev.com/storefront

ScooterD35
07-30-2015, 01:21 PM
They are great people, Rev has spent countless hours playing for old folks in nursing homes.

Here's a suggestion for getting some early Christmas shopping done. http://www.lilrev.com/storefrontl

Fantastic idea, Mike!

Scooter

hollisdwyer
07-30-2015, 02:18 PM
The current total is very close to the requested target. Great work everyone for their generousity. Please continue to spread the word so Rev's wife can get the proper medical care.
We can do it!

Nickie
07-30-2015, 02:39 PM
Just gave my part. Lil' Rev is one of the most awesome people I've ever met. I have a pic taken with him I'll always treasure. I met Carol and she is an absolute sweetie.

timmit65
07-30-2015, 04:48 PM
Very sad! I'll contribute.

kohanmike
07-30-2015, 05:01 PM
I survived two bouts with cancer, 1973 and 2002. I'm in.

ksiegel
07-30-2015, 05:50 PM
The current total is very close to the requested target. Great work everyone for their generousity. Please continue to spread the word so Rev's wife can get the proper medical care.
We can do it!

Just got the "Thank You" email - they have - in less than a day - exceeded the goal. That's no reason to stop giving, though. Cancer is insidious, their goal was a minimal amount.

I am so lucky to have retired with great health benefits - without them, my one hospitalization with a diagnosis of "Rule Out MI" would have bankrupted me. (And the MI was ruled out; I was having an allergic reaction to something I didn't eat, but was present on the cooking surface at a Five Guys)

So yeah, if anyone is thinking of contributing, don't let it stop you that they have reached their goal. Be generous.

- Kurt

coolkayaker1
07-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Just got the "Thank You" email - they have - in less than a day - exceeded the goal. That's no reason to stop giving, though. Cancer is insidious, their goal was a minimal amount.

I am so lucky to have retired with great health benefits - without them, my one hospitalization with a diagnosis of "Rule Out MI" would have bankrupted me. (And the MI was ruled out; I was having an allergic reaction to something I didn't eat, but was present on the cooking surface at a Five Guys)

So yeah, if anyone is thinking of contributing, don't let it stop you that they have reached their goal. Be generous.

- Kurt

I wonder if your health coverage includes alternative therapies, which is what Lil Rev's wife is seeking with the fund-raiser.

"While i now have direction with regards to my treatment, i need to supplement and support this with
the kind of whole body wellness therapies that will complement the conventional drug/chemo based protocols my doctor and I have put in place."

I share everyones' sentiments: deepest powers of prayer to this lovely lady.

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
07-30-2015, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the link Scooter.
Of course, as usual, i'm a day late but NOT (for once) a dollar short. :cool:

hollisdwyer
07-30-2015, 09:32 PM
Wow! The power of community. How great is this! I am proud to be a part of the UU community.

wayfarer75
07-31-2015, 02:04 AM
I wonder if your health coverage includes alternative therapies, which is what Lil Rev's wife is seeking with the fund-raiser.

"While i now have direction with regards to my treatment, i need to supplement and support this with
the kind of whole body wellness therapies that will complement the conventional drug/chemo based protocols my doctor and I have put in place."

I share everyones' sentiments: deepest powers of prayer to this lovely lady.

Conventional medicine all by itself isn't cheap, which I think was ksiegel's point about their goal being a minimal amount. I quite agree with him and I hope people continue to contribute past their goal. Cancer treatment can be very expensive, not to mention the loss of work she and Rev will continue to experience.

The chemo she plans to take may make her very sick, and she is wise to seek complementary therapies that aren't part of conventional medicine to help boost her body's overall health and her mental state. Hopefully some will be covered by insurance.

ksiegel
08-01-2015, 02:06 AM
Conventional medicine all by itself isn't cheap, which I think was ksiegel's point about their goal being a minimal amount. I quite agree with him and I hope people continue to contribute past their goal. Cancer treatment can be very expensive, not to mention the loss of work she and Rev will continue to experience.

The chemo she plans to take may make her very sick, and she is wise to seek complementary therapies that aren't part of conventional medicine to help boost her body's overall health and her mental state. Hopefully some will be covered by insurance.

I have a friend in San Mateo, CA who underwent radical bilateral mastectomies a few years ago. Along with the conventional chemotherapy and radiation therapy regimens, she started going to acupuncture sessions, and reported that she never had any of the expected nausea/illness during conventional treatment. So yes, complimentary therapies are a good thing, and while not inexpensive, are often worth every penny.

-Kurt

coolkayaker1
08-01-2015, 02:30 AM
The

I merely wondered if the insurance that Kurt felt lucky to have covered alternative therapies.

There has been no insinuation by anyone that alternative therapies are not worthwhile.

We all realize that medical care is expensive, and that chemo makes one ill. #commonknowledge

DownUpDave
08-01-2015, 03:33 AM
It is a testement to Li-I Rev, Carol and the ukulele community that the goal was exceeded. Now lets see how far past this goal we can get.

Nickie
08-02-2015, 01:15 PM
We took up a collection in our jam session yesterday, raised another $103, and some of our newbies don't even know Rev yet. We're passing the hat again next Saturday.

wayfarer75
12-16-2015, 03:49 AM
Unfortunately, I am bumping this thread because Lil Rev's wife died this morning. I saw the post on Facebook. $@*$%# cancer. My mother died 22 years ago yesterday; I really feel for their daughter. :( Just makes me sad.

hollisdwyer
12-16-2015, 03:57 AM
That is very sad to hear Laura.

Ukulele Eddie
12-16-2015, 05:07 AM
This is so sad to learn. I hope that Rev and his daughter find solace in each other and the strength to soon remember his wife with a smile.

buddhuu
12-16-2015, 05:22 AM
Very sorry to read that sad news. :(

My sympathies to family and friends.

PhilUSAFRet
12-16-2015, 05:24 AM
Awwwww S..t! Much love to Lil'Rev and daughter

PeteyHoudini
12-16-2015, 06:25 AM
very sad news

Ukejenny
12-16-2015, 06:56 AM
I sure do hate to hear that. I found this video of the Milwaukee uke club doing one of her songs, Love Is The Highest Vibration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEekLZEcrQc

ukuleleden
12-16-2015, 11:30 AM
So sad. My condolences to Lil' Rev, his daughter, and all their family.

Camsuke
12-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Terribly sad news. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

ksiegel
12-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Quick and terrible, but at least her pain is gone. Virtual hugs to the family, and heartfelt condolences.

I know what it is like to lose loved ones too soon to illness and injury, and I wish it on no one - but having a community of support, as Carol had, makes it a tiny bit easier to deal with.

-Kurt

NatalieS
12-16-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this. My heart breaks for any family's loss, but at this time of year... it's very sad. My heart goes out to Lil' Rev and his family.

Kayak Jim
12-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Yes, exceptionally difficult at this time of the year.

Condolences to the family.

ScooterD35
12-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Li'l Rev posted this Wednesday morning...

R.I.P. Carol Alvarez 12-16-15 6:39am

May you abide in God's loving hand.
May you rest, for you deserve it.
May your daughter be strong and filled with the 7 years of love you gave her
May your light always shine inside those of us whom you touched
May we all be wise enough to fulfill the blessings you bestowed
May my heart ache itself clean until it beats again once more.
May we feel your presence guiding us on.
May i be the best single dad a man can ever be
May i be grateful every day for you my dear....you are inside my very essence
May Love be the highest vibration.

Amen

-The Broken Heart

Praying for strength and comfort to Marc, Mariela, and all who knew and loved Carol.

Scooter

Osprey
12-17-2015, 03:29 AM
I lost my first wife to cancer 16 years ago. Even when you know it's coming it's a big blow. My thoughts are with Li'l Rev and his family.

Nickie
12-17-2015, 05:49 AM
We'll all miss Carol. Rev put up a wonderful post about all this on FB.
I remember meeting Carol and Mariela at one of Rev's many workshops. The two of them danced while Rev played and sang.
I can't wait to see his wonderful smile and hear him play and sing again. He's a tough cookie, and Mariela inspires him.
I see so many people die of CA. What a horrible disease. We are going to have to stop polluting our planet so we can stop CA.

rappsy
12-17-2015, 06:04 AM
We'll all miss Carol. Rev put up a wonderful post about all this on FB.
I remember meeting Carol and Mariela at one of Rev's many workshops. The two of them danced while Rev played and sang.
I can't wait to see his wonderful smile and hear him play and sing again. He's a tough cookie, and Mariela inspires him.
I see so many people die of CA. What a horrible disease. We are going to have to stop polluting our planet so we can stop CA.

Beautifully put. I never met the two, but have had the pleasure of seeing Lil' Rev twice and his smile and love of music is infectious. Here's hoping that continues and he can carry his message forward.

My best friend from the time I was a child lost her battle a few years ago. It's a horrible disease.

DownUpDave
12-17-2015, 06:54 AM
I read that message from Rev on the Go Fund Me page, brought tears to my eyes. A truely wonderful family

bonesigh
12-17-2015, 03:02 PM
My heart goes out to Marc and his family.♥

joekulele
12-17-2015, 03:24 PM
My heart is broken with this news. I will be playing some tunes in Carols honor for Rev and his precious daughter.
joe

coolkayaker1
12-17-2015, 06:51 PM
very sad news :( God, life is short. I am sorry for Carol and Rev and their daughter.

I found this on Lil Rev's GoFundMe page for Carol and, since it has been mentioned below in this thread, I'll cut and paste as Rev has it written. Man, powerful words, Rev. My condolences to a great musician and teacher, and to his family and that of Carol.

Dearest Go Fund Me Supporters,

On Wednesday December 16th, at 6:39am, my sweet Carol took her last breath.

After 10 months of fighting lung cancer, her body was tired and no longer willing to press onwards

She put up one heck of fight and true to the end....as her mother said, "She died on her own terms."

Carol was the kind of gal who could go to the dentist and not need novacaine when getting a tooth filled, and likewise, she resisted the hard drugs that where there to ease her transition...her comfort, she only allowed the bare minimum. She was a tough little cookie. Much tougher than i.

Carol had non-small cell carcinoma and the percentage of women who beat this every year is frighteningly low.

We tried everything they could throw at us approved and not approved and still the cancer marched onward.

We prayed 10,000 prayers with an army of worshippers, and still God was determined to call his yoga queen home....for she was an angel right here on earth.

Mariela is the living gift Carol left us, a little tender hearted soul who knows only that her mom is done suffering and is now singing with the angel band.

She knows she was loved (like her daddy) incredibly well for 7 years. She will always know this. She knows she has a ring of friends, classmates, and family who are going to help raise her. She knows she can look to her daddy for comfort and understanding as she struggles in her own little way to make sense of what it really means when a small girl looses her mom.

She'll learn to keep her mom in her heart,
She'll learn she can always talk to her mom whenever she wants.
She'll learn that the memory is long and life can sometimes be short.
She'll learn that her momma served others with grace, heart and intention.
She'll learn.

As for her daddy, he too will learn.

That his morning coffee tastes different when one drinks alone

That his morning meditation, while it's very much a personal experience, will not feel the same as he opens his eyes and realizes that his wife is not there physically anymore.

He'll learn that perhaps, none of this matters, for he can't change what is done and fortunately for him, he can say that at least once in his life, he was loved well. really well, extremely well.

My friends, this is our last Go Fund Me message.

Our intention is to put closure on this campaign and thank all of you for your help.

You lifted my wife's spirit and gave her hope.

She did the best she could.

Thank you for helping us out when we needed you most.
I will never forget as long as i shall live, how y'all were there for us. It was beautiful and touching, and we are externally grateful.

Lil Rev & Mariela

Ele
12-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Very sincere sympathy to Lil Rev and Mariela.
What a beautifully written tribute for Carol.
So sad.