Low G wound string for soprano uke

UkeJordi

Reaction score
Hello

I would like to do an experiment, namely to put a guitar wound D string to my soprano uke and tune it low G, see if I get brighter sound than with myWorth low G brown. I have a spare D'Addario D .029" normal tension siverwound from my classical guitar in the toolbox...

Has someone tried this before and with what result? any sound samples?
Would it damage the uke? Would the bridge snap?

I will wait for some feedback before trying this...

Thanks

Jordi

That's pretty close to the regular wound low G string that many use for their tenor, so on the soprano it should be fine, albeit on the loose side.

I would like to do an experiment, namely to put a guitar wound D string to my soprano uke and tune it low G, see if I get brighter sound than with myWorth low G brown. I have a spare D'Addario D .029" normal tension siverwound from my classical guitar in the toolbox...
I've not done this directly, but I did restring a cheap-o with an Aquila 30U Soprano Fifths set (GDAE); the low G string is 0.028" wound, almost the same as your D'Addario D. Some online tools are handy. I use https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_guitar_string.htm to find the current tension and http://stringtensionpro.com/ to calculate string sets. Good luck!

I would say having gone through a couple of Bach preludes that the low G unwound sounds a bit dull but well balanced, whereas the wound guitar string sounds bright and well sustained but not so well balanced compared with the other strings. The discrepancy in tone is not big but it is there if yu listen for it. I think that I will keep this setup for a while for this Mainland cedar soprano uke that I use for travel - my use is to play arrangements of Baroque music - mainly Bach - when I cannot have my big tenor at hand. Here, having a clearer bass line is an advantage for my practice, even if it causes a slight unevenness of tone. Next step is to add Worth clears and maybe change the tunīng to ADF#B and see what happens...

Last edited:
Glad it worked for you. I've tried similar (the same string on a concert) and agree that the wound string is clear, bright, sustains well, but unfortunately is unbalanced.

You may be able to bring back some balance with different treble strings. I prefer fluorocarbons myself, but would actually try nylon strings for this. If you like Aquilas, they may add some brightness and volume. I like La Bella strings, but haven't used the soprano set. Might also try some of the Ko'olau 'Alohi strings, since they're said to be bright. The reason I'd try nylon strings is that they're thicker and generally have more tension than fluorocarbons. Let us know if you try some others, I'm always interested in a balanced low G set.

Thank ypu very much! And so the experiment continues...I will keep you well informed and will try to make a demo movie when I get the chance.

Hello friends!

I think I am close to success with the low G setup for the Mainland cedar soprano. The winning configuration with the aforesaid low G from a D guitar string is using Worth brown fluprocarbon strings BUT with the whole set-up tuned to D rather than C, that is, (low)A, D, F# and B. The top strings gain īn brightness and the bottom one gets a bit of extra tension making the blend more effective. I hope the bridge holds up to the stress because it sounds really lovely with the Bach arrangements. I didn't like the switch to the nylons. The last thing to try is to add a Freemont wound low G, currently on mail order.

Last edited:
I use a fremont low-g on one of my sopranos and I really like it. It is unwound. It's a little flabby feeling (i.e., not as taught as the other strings) but I don't mind that a bit. Nice mellow sound.

how well do oasis work with the wound low-g? I have an unused pack at home, although I'm saving it for whenever I get a tenor and decide to low-g it (which is unlikely at this time).

I'm curious -- has anyone here tried low-G and high-C (GcEa) stringing? I've read of this but haven't tried it yet. I wonder about its comparative quality on soprano, concert, and tenor. Any experience here? (Damn, I need more 'ukes!)

I just tried low G Freemont soloist wound string on my Martin OXK. I like it. Good feel. Fits nicely in the slot without filing (big plus). Actually I have it tuned up to a Low A, for ADF#B tuning - less floppy that way. Not sure I care for the Low A/ Low G though on a soprano. I've read the Dirk/Southcoast resonance and can definitely see it / hear it here as being too low. But the string itself is quite nice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom