Light tension strings - Hilo strings?

doowopper

Reaction score
Recently I bought a Beltona, tenor resonator ukulele and was told to use Hilo or other light tension strings with it. If you are able to answer any or all of the following questions I would appreciate it.

1) How do you know if a string set is light tension or not?
2) Hilo makes a tenor string set but it is not labeled as being for high G or low G tuning - http://elderly.com/accessories/items/HTUP.htm Do you know if that string set is for high or low G tuning?
3) If I want low G tuning, Hilo makes a set labeled for it but with a wound (metal) fourth (G) string http://elderly.com/accessories/items/HTUG.htm
3a) Can a wound metal string be used on a resonator uke?
3b) Would the Hilo wound metal string or other wound strings be considered light tension strings?
4) Do you know of other sets of light tension strings made by other manufacturers? If so, which specific sets of light tension strings could be used for high G and low G tunings for my resonator uke?
Thanks.
Richard

I have Beltonas and the first one I ever got was one someone had strung with aquilas....Well it sounded like crap distorted overdriven and harmonics conflicting all over the place...then i read the website and stwiched to the plain hils...(They do not make light tension) Beltona uses standard hils and swicthed back to hilos on it made all the difference in the world and ukulele played and sounded wonderful...somehow the hilos have the right tension and tone that drives their resonators correctly

Types of Hilos

MGM,
Thanks for your response.
1) The Hilos not labeled has high or low G tuning on the package - are they high G tuning?
2) Which strings should I use for low G tuning since Hilos come only with a wound metal G string for low G tuning?
3) On the Beltona web site, it is suggested that "Hilos or other light tension strings" be used. From that description, I got the impression Hilos are light tension strings. From what you wrote, Hilos are not light tension. Correct?
Thanks again.
Richard

Last edited:
if you want low g the hilo soprano is high in their standard set they do make a low g but it is wound i suggest just getting a single blackline low g if that is what you are looking for...since they are not wound

Top Bottom