music as healing, dealing with loss

Hochapeafarm

Reaction score
Some years ago on UU, I shared an original song that I wrote about the passing of one of my beloved animals. Although some person gave me a "thumbs down" on the song on my YT channel (which did hurt a lot, I admit, but it goes with the territory), I still found that writing the song and playing it on my ukulele to be very powerful in helping me throughout the grieving process.

More recently, I went through a loss of a different sort: that of losing two very good friendships; both meant a great deal to me. I needed time to go through the stages of loss, but a recent visit with a dear ukulele friend of mine (who is a singer/songwriter) inspired me to put my feelings on paper, in a song, on my ukulele. I had shown her the chords that were speaking to me for some reason...and after her visit, the words for the song just seemed to naturally flow.

It had been almost one year since I had written an original ukulele song. This is mostly because another uke friend of mine commented on my last song that people like to hear stories in a song (or something in that regard). That "last song" I had written/posted didn't tell a story, just how I felt about something in particular. This person's comment gave me pause at the time and I think I felt afraid to write again because of it.

But, what I have learned (again!) in all of this (if you're still reading this now) is that music is healing (along with many other things, of course!). It does something quite powerful that other things cannot. Some people aren't going to like what we write/play/sing...others may. I hope that this new original that I have written, "No Choice," may help someone else out there. Words are very powerful on their own, but when music accompanies them, I feel words are transformed in an entirely different way...and for me, it's healing.

Thanks for listening and here's the video, if you're interested in watching it.

Happy Strummings,
~ Chelle

Last edited:
great song chelle! super sound production too. and for the record, if i got worried about thumbs down, or songs having to tell stories, i'd never do any uke-ing! :eek:

Super song, Chelle and great production.

It's nonsense that songs have to tell stories. I like story songs and I write them myself as do many others but it doesn't mean that all songs have to tell stories. There are many who are better at writing songs about feelings and impressions and I admire those who do it but I find it very difficult myself. Clearly for you it seems to come naturally.

great song chelle! super sound production too. and for the record, if i got worried about thumbs down, or songs having to tell stories, i'd never do any uke-ing! :eek:

Hey, Lynda! Thanks so much for sharing such lovely and supportive comments on UU, too! You totally rock it on your uke playing and vids and -- you know what -- I totally need to adopt more of your outlook on uke'ing that you mention! It's a positive outlook and approach you take in not worrying about the "thumbs down" and adhering to rulezzzzz re: what songs should/shouldn't be! I love it! :)

Wow Chelle, this is fabulous, it's so good to see you recording original work! Please keep them coming. I'll look forward to many more my dear friend.

Hi, Cam! Can't believe that I let an entire year go by (almost!) without trying again with the songwriting efforts...so glad that I gathered up the courage to give it another go! Gotta admit, this is largely in part due to the incredible support you generously bestow upon me -- thank you for always being there for me since the beginning! You are the best! :)

Super song, Chelle and great production.

It's nonsense that songs have to tell stories. I like story songs and I write them myself as do many others but it doesn't mean that all songs have to tell stories. There are many who are better at writing songs about feelings and impressions and I admire those who do it but I find it very difficult myself. Clearly for you it seems to come naturally.

Tootler, I love what you wrote here -- thank you! (And thank you for the comments on the 'Tube, too (and on the other thread where this link is posted under Seasonistas)! I think you're right on about how some of us are storytellers quite naturally with songwriting, and others are better with the feelings/impressions aspect of songwriting. I guess, for me, songwriting is really mostly just an exercise in allowing my creative spirit to express itself (to keep myself balanced and rejuvenated as well!). I have tried both the storytelling songwriting and the feelings/impressions approach...I do feel more comfortable with the feelings/impressions stuff...which is funny because I am a storyteller for my job! (I write short stories!) :) Btw, on another note, did you know that I recently purchased a recorder? My first instrument as a child! I played it in a recent cover of Sheryl Crow's "Strong Enough." :)

Top Bottom