PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a ukulele tuner ?

wawakelvin
07-30-2015, 07:43 PM
I have a Korg chromatic tuner that I have set to 440hz. It seems OK to tune my Flea. The pitch reading wobbles a lot as the string continues to sound out the note. Do I need a tuner specific to ukuleles?

(I was using another tuner before, and thought my ukulele sounded off. It turned out the tuner was set to another key, which made me tune a couple steps higher by accident.)

kypfer
07-30-2015, 09:14 PM
It could be that your Korg is picking up some harmonics or vibrations from strings other than the one you've plucked. My "cheap no-name" tuner does this, I simply ignore it and pluck the string again. For test purposes it might be worth while temporarily muting the other strings, wrap some cloth around them for example, just to see if the problem disappears.

Good luck :)

fynger
07-30-2015, 10:16 PM
I just mute the other strings when tuning

wawakelvin
07-30-2015, 10:55 PM
So a vibrational tuner might solve the problem? I 'll try muting the other strings too, --didn't consider that.

Side note, but I'm very happy with the flea I recently got. It's the third ukulele I bought it two months (returned the others). Someone told me you should buy the most expensive instrument you can afford when starting out, and while I'm glad I tried the other ukes, that axiom seem true for me.

Nickie
07-31-2015, 02:37 AM
Congrats on your new Flea. When I'm home, I use the online ukulele tuner at http://www.get-tuned.com/old_online_ukulele_tuner.php (http://http://www.get-tuned.com/old_online_ukulele_tuner.php)
because it helps train my ear and it's incredibly accurate. I also go to my piano, that's accurate too. I use a portable tuner when I am out and about. Good luck!

PhilUSAFRet
07-31-2015, 05:10 AM
Clip tuners have an advantage when playing in groups as the mic tuners pick up the ambient noise in the room.

Lori
07-31-2015, 06:20 AM
Chromatic tuners should work for any instrument. If you are using one that clips onto the headstock, and you are getting shaky readings, try re-positioning it to another spot nearer the string you are tuning. Also, check the battery.
–Lori

kohanmike
07-31-2015, 07:36 AM
I've never seen a specific ukulele tuner. I always mute the other strings, for me it's the only way to get accurate tuning.

Tootler
07-31-2015, 12:46 PM
You should be able to get a clip on mic for your Korg pretty cheaply. It plugs into the tuner and clips on to the headstock. That will cut out the external interference. Otherwise buy a clip on tuner - even the cheap ones are pretty accurate these days. Get a chromatic one as you may want to try alternative tunings in the future.

Rllink
07-31-2015, 01:02 PM
I've never seen a specific ukulele tuner. I always mute the other strings, for me it's the only way to get accurate tuning.
I use an ENO ET-33 and it has a specific ukulele setting. It has a chromatic setting, guitar, banjo, violin, and ukulele. It costs five bucks or so on e-bay. I don't know how it compares with others, because it is the only one that I've owned. But I am with Nickie, unless I'm in a hurry, I often tune one string to another instead of using the tuner for all of them, for the same reason she said, to get my ear in tune as well as my strings. It just depends on how I feel.