Looking for comprehensive music theory book

sculptor

Reaction score
I'm looking for a comprehensive music theory book. I've purchased a nooby music theory book but I'd like to get the complete picture because that's the kind of guy I am. Hell, I write genetic algorithms using Monte Carlo simulations to just rebalance my 401 stock portfolio so I really like to go off the deep end. ;)

Glaze away

Beware what you're asking for: most comprehensive books use formal music analysis, including a Roman numeral based system that is different from the relative notation often used by guitarists to note progressions in a key-independent fashion. In particular, formal theory is heavy on detailing inversions and analyzing the consequent voice leading, and the notation assumes you know the default quality of a chord from the mode and scale degree of the chord's root. That sort of theory would glaze anyone's eyes.

A book I've been going through is The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine. If you're interested in the usage of advanced chords, it's a pretty good treatment, and it sticks with the familiar chord notations. But for a number of reasons, I can't recommend it to others with much enthusiasm.

Chord construction is pretty easy to understand, as is how to decipher guitar chord names—you can pick that up from musictheory.net, Wikipedia and other online sources.

If you want to learn to play any chord, given its name, and in any region of the fretboard, I recommend Sokolow and Beloff's Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps. I've developed what I think is a more complete, and in some ways simpler, system by building on their models, but it was their book that made the bulbs light up. Lots of other good stuff in their book as well.

The real difficulty is figuring out how and when to use all the fancy chords, and, of course, training your ear to hear them and to analyze the harmonic structure so you can give a chord its proper name—the same set of pitches can be heard as several different chords, but generally, only one of those chord names will make musical sense in the given passage—and sometimes the root of that chord isn't present in the chord as played. No matter how well you write algorithms, there's no substitute for ear training. Jim D'Ville has online lessons in ear training, though I don't know if they get into complex chords and their usage.

Thanks for the information, all of which is good. So do you know the name of any said eye glazing works or not? :confused:

I'm looking for a comprehensive music theory book. I've purchased a nooby music theory book but I'd like to get the complete picture because that's the kind of guy I am. Hell, I write genetic algorithms using Monte Carlo simulations to just rebalance my 401 stock portfolio so I really like to go off the deep end. ;)

Coo...I draw cartoons on the table cloth using Mansfield Town characters ,get shouted at for it by the missus, then clear off and play long complicated cacophonies on my instrument just to rebalance my equilibrium ....is that similar ? ;)

Coo...I draw cartoons on the table cloth using Mansfield Town characters ,get shouted at for it by the missus, then clear off and play long complicated cacophonies on my instrument just to rebalance my equilibrium ....is that similar ? ;)

Ummm... I'll let you know after I read my comprehensive music theory book... :shaka:

I've herad of Piston's book before I think

Two classics:
Harmony. Walter Piston.
Craft of Musical Composition 1: Theory. Paul Hindemith.

I'm sure more accessible books have been written since my college days.

The Piston book rings a bell and it seems to be reasonable. I looked at the Hindemith book reviews on Amazon and it looks more like it's slanted towards modern atonal music so I have my doubts about its usefulness.

I found this on Amazon: The Complete Musician: An Integrated Approach to Tonal Theory, Analysis, and Listening by Steven G. Laitz. Any thoughts on its content?

If you are not adverse to learning via computer try these FREE resources
- http://www.musictheory.net/lessons
- http://www.daveconservatoire.org
- https://www.coursera.org/course/musictheory
- http://www.socraticmethod.net/music_theory/

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom