Summer's half gone....got a project in mind?

Good idea turtle, such a beautiful song and sounds so lovely on the uke. :)

My goal over August - and probably September and beyond, knowing my attention span - is to work out how to get better audio on my ukulele videos. I've been using the same $50 camera for 5 years and the sound just don't cut it. Being a tech dunce this will present more than enough of a challenge to keep me busy! I was blessed to receive a beautiful Rode mic last week as a gift, so I would like to make good use of it.

I'm still trying to come to grips with my Kala KA6 6-string tenor and the old Martin 10-string tiple. They're both killers in similar but opposite ways. Re-entrant 4-string 'ukes are no problem; they play like 'ukes. The 8-string tenor (gG-cC-EE-AA) and 12-string cuatro-menor (GGG-CCC-EEE-AAA) are no problem; like the baritone (DGBE), they can play like guitars, sort of. But the tiple and KA6 aren't balanced that way. Unless strumming, they can only be played like themselves. It's due to stringing. The KA6 is g-cC-E-Aa so the lowest note is on top; and the tiple is gG-cCc-eEe-aa so the top course is weak next to the lower courses. Neither lets me run melodies simple across the top 2 courses.

What's my project for August? Keep adapting fingerpicking techniques for these beasts. Try to master them. Down, you dogs!

And it probably wouldn't hurt to shoot some videos, too. My public awaits.

I have a small studio setup. I have a Tascam 8 channel recording station and M Audio monitors. I have done a fair amount of recording using my digital keyboards. I've never gotten around to recording myself on uke. I don't think I'll get to that this summer. I will be retired starting next July and would probably start recording then. Till then it's practice, practice, practice!!

My project this month is to learn to play fluently the arrangement of Bach's cello suite No. 2 that I made (see thread in 'tabs' section) and to finish the first movement of my uke sonata which is currently half way through.

My harmonica playing friend and I are working on a "Sway" duet. I've been playing u-bass pretty much exclusively the last few months, but this is a way for me to keep up on the uke.

thinking of building a couple of ukes that would be hard to otherwise acquire, a 16" scale like an ohta san and a 19" super tenor, these with thick necks to suit my hand, possibly a 1.5" nut.
my neighbor has a couple of dead half fallen hickory trees on his adjacent lot. while hickory isn't an appearance grade wood it is supposed to have the tonal quality of mahogany, my usual choice.
for august i can cut a couple of 20" rounds off one of the trees, split to square things out, and band saw out some rough lumber quarter sawn. easily enough for my couple of ukes and what the grand kids will ask for.
bit of titebond glue on the ends and the wood may be good to go next spring. they can season in my wood heated house over the winter.

Good idea turtle, such a beautiful song and sounds so lovely on the uke. :)

My goal over August - and probably September and beyond, knowing my attention span - is to work out how to get better audio on my ukulele videos. I've been using the same $50 camera for 5 years and the sound just don't cut it. Being a tech dunce this will present more than enough of a challenge to keep me busy! I was blessed to receive a beautiful Rode mic last week as a gift, so I would like to make good use of it.

I've got that same attention span thing going for me, Hippie. But sure do hope that Mic gets put to good use and that we'll hear it in your video postings.

thinking of building a couple of ukes that would be hard to otherwise acquire, a 16" scale like an ohta san and a 19" super tenor, these with thick necks to suit my hand, possibly a 1.5" nut.
my neighbor has a couple of dead half fallen hickory trees on his adjacent lot. while hickory isn't an appearance grade wood it is supposed to have the tonal quality of mahogany, my usual choice.
for august i can cut a couple of 20" rounds off one of the trees, split to square things out, and band saw out some rough lumber quarter sawn. easily enough for my couple of ukes and what the grand kids will ask for.
bit of titebond glue on the ends and the wood may be good to go next spring. they can season in my wood heated house over the winter.

I lov learning about and seeing/hearing the different woods. Hope we'll see/hear that hickory when you're ready down the line.

I have many projects that I planned to start by now, it's the implementation phase that I seem to have problems with.

I've got a new book of Christmas Carol arrangement I'm going to release soon. Ish. Going through to make sure I like the fingering, and that it all looks right. Then recording/videoing. Should release for September, though I'm not sure about YouTube activity. That will follow. Would be nice to have all the videos up pre-Chrsitmas.

We shall see....

I'm just going to carry on learning the Ukulele every day. For my craft project I want to make a large faux leather tote bag with a pocket on the side for the Ukulele to sit in, and a large space for the sheet music etc. I've got the paper version done, I just need to do the fabric from the paper pattern pieces.

I'm just going to carry on learning the Ukulele every day. For my craft project I want to make a large faux leather tote bag with a pocket on the side for the Ukulele to sit in, and a large space for the sheet music etc. I've got the paper version done, I just need to do the fabric from the paper pattern pieces.

So cool! Hope you'll post a photo!

I've got a new book of Christmas Carol arrangement I'm going to release soon. Ish. Going through to make sure I like the fingering, and that it all looks right. Then recording/videoing. Should release for September, though I'm not sure about YouTube activity. That will follow. Would be nice to have all the videos up pre-Chrsitmas.

We shall see....

How will this be released?

How will this be released?

I always just release on my website. The actual music is sent as a PDF which you can print out yourself. I looked into the whole publishing Jumpin' Jim thing, but I don't mind being small, and it lets me focus on the projects I like, the way I like.

And it probably saves a tree or two, as no one's printing music they're never going to learn.

:)

A new project was thrust upon me today. I have been inducted into the local Sherlockian society, Baker Street West (100 members maximum and I'm #92). Each member must assume the character of someone named in a Sherlock story -- I am a junior officer in Her Majesty's Royal Navy accused of murder in A STUDY IN SCARLET. Each member is to create a fleshed-out backstory and to present a "character study" to the membership.

Of course during naval operations in the Pacific Ocean the young lieutenant managed to acquire a 'ukulele, yes? My rest-of-summer project is thus to become that character and to develop a set-list of songs a gentleman (just barely) might sing while addressing a 'proper' mixed gathering in circa-1900 London. Should be fun!

Though we have no snow, it does get down to a freezing 8 or 9 degrees C here, for about three days every year. .

Be still my bleeding heart. Mate, it's 8 degrees here on a good day. :p Expecting snow on the main streets of Hobart city tomorrow!!! I'd give anything to go on that ride with you.

:eek:ld:

Top Bottom