Not a typical student- where should I start?

whistleman123

Reaction score
I used to be a professional trombonist out in Lost Wages Nevada but due to a facial injury had to give that up in the early 1970's. Now that I'm retired I want to make music again. I have never attempted a stringed instrument.
So I know music, just not stringed instruments. Short term goal would be comping jazz changes. Long term goal is chord soloing.
Should I start taking lesson at my local music store or teach myself off of the internet? Do I need a foundation before I download the Jazzy Uke book? Are there a lot of pitfalls in self-instruction? Bad habits not to learn. Etc...

PS I already picked up a Vox Ekelectric concert size uke. Needed something quiet for AM practicing while my wife is asleep!

A set of headphones will make that Vox stone cold silent except for string noise. Save the extra money for your next serious uke. Not sure where you are located. Perhaps a uke club would be helpful. Lots of great instructions, tutorials, and videos online. Questionable if you can get a "music shop" guitar teacher that will teach a high level of uke skills, but stranger things have happened. At any rate, you have come to the right place. Those music skills will serve you well.

Last edited:
I'm a complete beginner one week in, with one official 30 minute lesson with a professional guitarist/ukuleleist. I've found once you have the instrument in tune (you can use an electronic tuner on the phone app or a cheapo shop brought one), you can pretty much learn from online with You Tube etc. I do practice twice a day, yes you get sore fingers but that will go in time. It is a very quick instrument to learn - like you I started with a wind instrument - flute.

I suppose in the long run it totally depends on what type of learner you are. For me I am a visual learner, so You Tube is my quickest way. Do be aware, unlike some wind instruments there are numerous ways to play the same note/chord on a Ukulele, so some charts will totally differ depending who drew them up.

I'm a complete beginner one week in, with one official 30 minute lesson with a professional guitarist/ukuleleist. I've found once you have the instrument in tune (you can use an electronic tuner on the phone app or a cheapo shop brought one), you can pretty much learn from online with You Tube etc. I do practice twice a day, yes you get sore fingers but that will go in time. It is a very quick instrument to learn - like you I started with a wind instrument - flute.

I suppose in the long run it totally depends on what type of learner you are. For me I am a visual learner, so You Tube is my quickest way. Do be aware, unlike some wind instruments there are numerous ways to play the same note/chord on a Ukulele, so some charts will totally differ depending who drew them up.
I think that most ukulele players are self taught. I would say that you have a huge advantage over a lot of us, who dropped out of band in eighth grade, and never touched a musical instrument until taking up the ukulele decades later. Uncle Rod's boot camp is a good place to start, and considering your background, you will breeze through that and never look back. Go for it.

I was going to suggest Glens book. I have a few of his. They'll give you the chord shapes for jazz. Along with it you may want to down load a chord chart to learn the chords. Your main challenge will be finger dexterity and perhaps strum rhythm. With your background, the rhythm will fall right in.

The uke will definitely bring music and harmony back into your life. It won't take long before you start doing the old sax rifts on the uke.

Top Bottom