Burning hole in my pocketbook!

bonesigh

Reaction score
This is so frustrating, but in a good way. I sold the MM I wasn't in love with and decided I would get the Clara Blackbird instead. Good sounding all around, don't worry, leave it out kind of uke.

Then all these others are calling to me! I tried hard not to look around but I'm always surfing and looking. Even when I don't have the money! They are like fine art and I love to windowshop :)

I was trying hard to buy that Kinnard that was for sale in the market place but couldn't seem to sell the others I put up. It got sold. So many are calling to me. "How about me? I'm pretty", "What about me? I might be plain but wow can I sing", "Don't forget about the Compase Rose you've always coveted. Here I am!".

This is killing me!!!!

Have you considered a road trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway to see what Mim has?

UAS.......definition of syn·drome......condition, illness, complex, disorder, affliction, sickness

The last one seems to really hit home with me. We understand and feel your pain, but cannot do anything to help you. I want a Kinnard and I have a LfdM on the way, how sick is that.

I feel your UAS pain. ;)

I have wanted to buy several Ukes recently in addition to the two that drifted into my home.

The Universe is swimming with Ukes and when I am ready the right one always shows up, at the right price.

UAS.......definition of syn·drome......condition, illness, complex, disorder, affliction, sickness

The last one seems to really hit home with me. We understand and feel your pain, but cannot do anything to help you. I want a Kinnard and I have a LfdM on the way, how sick is that.

You are a sick, sick man. :agree:

Ah, patience Grasshopper. ;-) That Kinnard concert was nice one. What specific attributes are you looking for? And what's your budget?

There's an Imua Concert on HMS that to my eyes and ears is both nice looking and has a lovely tone. Seems like a very good buy to me.

It's only money.
OR
All you need is money.
OR
WHERE'S THE MONEY?!?!?
OR
Rob banks, 'cause that's where the money is.
OR
You can have whatever you want so long as you don't want too much.

Life is unfair, eh?

Timely thread. I sold my vintage CJ5 Jeep yesterday, so I'm flush. If you just sold one of your toys, would you spend it all on ukes.

Timely thread. I sold my vintage CJ5 Jeep yesterday, so I'm flush. If you just sold one of your toys, would you spend it all on ukes.

I am DuD's enabler.

So yes, spend all of it but only on quality that won't depreciate too much.

LOL, I'm more like a potato bug :) There are several on the HMS that look and sound sweet. I like cut away's but it's not a deal breaker. I like some bling, nice rosette or a little shell up the neck. On sound sometimes you just don't know until you hear it. When I was on vacation in Cali I went to Gryphon and played just about every uke they had. There was only one that sounded "my perfect". Warm, clear, spot on intonation up the neck. It was a Compass Rose. Here it is. View attachment 82008 It was a bit above my budget but I'm selling a couple more ukes (hopefully anyway) No matter for this one for it has been sold to some lucky duck. Right now I've got 1,100 to spend :)

Ah, patience Grasshopper. ;-) That KinnardL concert was nice one. What specific attributes are you looking for? And what's your budget?

There's an Imua Concert on HMS that to my eyes and ears is both nice looking and has a lovely tone. Seems like a very good buy to me.

Other toys

I wish I HAD other toys to sell cuz your darn right I'd spend it on ukes or my new uke studio or other uke related equipment!

LOL, I'm more like a potato bug :) There are several on the HMS that look and sound sweet. I like cut away's but it's not a deal breaker. I like some bling, nice rosette or a little shell up the neck. On sound sometimes you just don't know until you hear it. When I was on vacation in Cali I went to Gryphon and played just about every uke they had. There was only one that sounded "my perfect". Warm, clear, spot on intonation up the neck. It was a Compass Rose. Here it is. View attachment 82008 It was a bit above my budget but I'm selling a couple more ukes (hopefully anyway) No matter for this one for it has been sold to some lucky duck. Right now I've got 1,100 to spend :)

That's why you should hop in the car and visit Mim: See, touch, smell, play, taste(?) a bunch of ukes and find the one you love.

Totally realising what a UAS-aholic I am, I recently decided to put myself on a 12 step program:
Step 1: commission a Beau Hannam tenor
Step 2: commission a Baron River 8 string
Step 3: commission or find a 2nd hand Mya Moe Reso tenor
Step 4: create a pyramid scheme so I can commission a Moore Betta
Steps 5-12: ad lib along the same lines as steps 1-4

The trouble is that every time I read one of those beautiful Terence Tan publications like Ukulele Rhythms or Luthiers Hands, I actually start thinking along these lines. There are so many beautiful instruments being made by such talented luthiers, who doesn't want the opportunity to experience as many as possible. I don't feel that I have to own all these but I'd sure like an opportunity to play fine instruments for a while.

Last edited:
I always think of what to sell next so I can buy another uke. Unfortunately, I have nothing left.

I have wanted to buy several Ukes recently in addition to the two that drifted into my home.

I'm almost afraid to ask how a couple of ukulele "drift" into your home. Did you leave the windows open perhaps?

I want a Kamaka. How much is a trip to Hawaii, and a Kamaka concert?

Can you tell us more about that Compass Rose? What wood was used for the top/sound board? Thanks.

I always think of what to sell next so I can buy another uke. Unfortunately, I have nothing left.
Yes. This my situation too mate.

I just bought another 3 x more than the only two I have left to sell, so now, even if and when I can sell these two, I'm in debt. First time too and it scares me. If I were a horse...

Top Bottom