PDA

View Full Version : Low D String

Down Up Dick
08-02-2015, 08:28 AM
I'd like to try a Low D string on my tenor Gold Tone Banjolele. Aquila doesn't seem to have a Low D string. I think I'd prefer metal wound. Any other brands have a Low D wound ukulele string? :old:

Nickie
08-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Thomastick seems to have about every wound string I can imagine, and more....

SteveZ
08-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Aquila's 31U concert/tenor CGDA set uses a wound low-C which should be okay to uptune to D.

Down Up Dick
08-02-2015, 11:52 AM
You can get single wound low D's for baris, tenors and (I imagine) concerts. Does your banjolele have a different scale?

Sorry, I don't understand "scale". Mine's a tenor. :old:

DownUpDave
08-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Sorry, I don't understand "scale". Mine's a tenor. :old:

Scale is short for Scale Length. That is the distance between the nut and saddle. Tenor is usually 17", concert 15" and soprano 13-1/2".

Down Up Dick
08-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Scale is short for Scale Length. That is the distance between the nut and saddle. Tenor is usually 17", concert 15" and soprano 13-1/2".

Well, thanks, DUD1, that's what I get for not changing strings and Ukes every five minutes. If he'd said scale length, I'd a known what he meant. Well, live and learn. :old:

Down Up Dick
08-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Well, ubulele, what you're talking about is just what I didn't want to do. I don't wanna experiment. It's got a high D fourth string on it now, so I think I'll wait 'til it's time to change and put a low G set on and drop it to Bb tuning. I'm trying to make a sorta "Chicago" tuned four string mini tenor banjo(lele) out of it. Know what I mean?

I wanted it for Clawhammer before, but now I have a mini banjo for that. Thanks for the help though. :old: