geared egghead experiences?

steel rider

Reaction score
I have no issues with the friction tuners on my Fluke but not a fan of the ones on the Sonny D. What are your experiences swapping with Gotoh or Peghead? Seems like there are lots of sizes where you can make a mistake. Looks like Pohaku is local to me. Anyone know if they install?

Thanks

Like my typo in the title? :)

Last edited:
I don't know about Pohaku but I have changed out several friction tuners with Gotoh UPT planetary tuners. If you're going to use the Gotoh UPTs, you'll need to measure the thickness of your headstock to make sure you get the correct length tuners. Gotohs come in regular (UPT) and long (UPTL). Their website gives the measurements of each.

The only mod I have had to do on all of the conversions I made was to slightly ream out the underside of the headstock to allow for the installation of the UPTs. Hawaii Music Supply has a video showing the installation of UPTs on a ukulele. Here is the link:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/acces...gotoh-upt-tuners/gotoh-upt-tuner-upgrade.html

All in all, it is an easy installation but you do need a reamer to do the work.

I have no issues with the friction tuners on my Fluke but not a fan of the ones on the Sonny D. What are your experiences swapping with Gotoh or Peghead? Seems like there are lots of sizes where you can make a mistake. Looks like Pohaku is local to me. Anyone know if they install?

Thanks

Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto may be a better bet. Pohaku is a builder. I don't know if they do repair/install work. Besides, if you go to Gryphon you can also check out quite a few really nice ukes! (Not affiliated with them; it's just happens to be one of the top repair shops in the country and they're local)

I swapped out the friction tuners on my Fluke Tenor a month after I got it. I could not live with the friction tuner on stock model. For $69.00 from MFC , I got a set specific for the ukulele. You do need a reamer and most IMPORTANT thing is to rear only a small amount out of head stock at a time. You don't need to take too much out. I would imagine same applies for your ukulele. Go slow... practise first. Take a small piece of throw away wood. duplicate the hole you ukulele has and then do some practice reaming. I spend $25.00 at tool shop for a reamer. Very easy. For Redheads a dab of white glue or super glue once you screw them into the wood is all you need. Fit first, then do the glue. FYI......

I have two different lengths of PEGHEDS for sale; 27mm shaft or 19mm. You can measure the thickness of your headstock and see what hangs out the back. If it is thicker than 15 mm, you need the longer one. Pohaku has the best instructions that are out there. It is wise to have a piece of wood the same thickness and hardness as your headstock. The same kind of wood is even better. practice on that before you try it on a ukulele. It is easy enough to do, that I can do it. Many yet too smalls are better than one too big!

Last edited:
I have two different lengths of PEGEHEDS for sale 27mm shaft or 19mm. You can measure the thickness of your headstock and see what hangs out the back. If it is thicker than 15 mm, you need the longer one. Pohaku has the best instructions that are out there. It is wise to have a piece of wood the same thickness and hardness as your headstock. The same kind of wood is even better. practice on that before you try it on a ukulele. It is easy enough to do that I can do it. Many yet too smalls are better than one too big!

How much are you asking? I'm traveling for the next week and a half so this isn't a focus right now. But probably when I come back.

Top Bottom