Got my Famous FS-5 today

FinnP

Reaction score
Hi all
After reading this forum I decided to buy an ukulele for my birthday.
Got my Famous FS-5 today shipped from japan to Denmark. and I'm very impressed by the sound and quality of the instrument.
The gloss finish smell brand new, so I guess it just left the factory.
I find the strings a little thin, so I wonder if someone could recommend a heavier set/brand of strings?
I haven't played the ukulele for 20 years now (but I play guitar all the time). When I did, I remember it was tuned A D F# B, but I can see that most of you now use G C E A (The Famous came with that tuning also).
take a look at the beauty :D
View attachment 82041View attachment 82042View attachment 82043

That really is a beautiful ukulele. Kiwaya/Famous make a very high quality instrument, congratulations on starting out "again" with a great instrument.

The strings look to be florocarbon by their clear colour which are thinnest in diameter of all the materials used for strings. D'Addario make nylon strings which will be larger in diameter.

As an example average soprano floro. string diameters .020, .026, .031, .023. Average nylon. 028, .033, .040. 029. it will vary depending on brand.

Welcome to UU and welcome back to the ukulele.

Last edited:
Congrats! Those FS-5s are great ukes.

Welcome!

Looks like you are starting out with a very fine uke!

Welcome and congratulations!

Nice! I have a KS-5 (Kiwaya branded, koa laminate) on its way from HMS.

Thanks!
I ordered a set of Martin M600, Soprano/Concert .0191 .0256 .0340 .0216, but now I'm a little confused because when I took a look at Martin's site the tuning is E B G D (I wan't standard G C E A).
https://www.martinguitar.com/specialty-strings/itemlist/category/289-ukulele.html
Are they OK for my ukulele?

That really is a beautiful ukulele. Kiwaya/Famous make a very high quality instrument, congratulations on starting out "again" with a great instrument.

The strings look to be florocarbon by their clear colour which are thinnest in diameter of all the materials used for strings. D'Addario make nylon strings which will be larger in diameter.

As an example average soprano floro. string diameters .020, .026, .031, .023. Average nylon. 028, .033, .040. 029. it will vary depending on brand.

Welcome to UU and welcome back to the ukulele.

Thanks!
I ordered a set of Martin M600, Soprano/Concert .0191 .0256 .0340 .0216, but now I'm a little confused because when I took a look at Martin's site the tuning is E B G D (I wan't standard G C E A).
https://www.martinguitar.com/specialty-strings/itemlist/category/289-ukulele.html
Are they OK for my ukulele?

I have a set of the M600 on a soprano and they are fantastic tuned, G C E A. They are highly regarded on this site and used by a lot of people.

I just looked at the Martin link you sent. No wonder you are concerned that is an acoustic guitar tuning from treble to bass E B G D A E. Apparently Martin lost their mind on that piece of advertising.u

Last edited:
Top Bottom