Custom uke

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
African Blackwood with a sinker redwood top, rings like a harp it sounds so pretty. Designed it myself including the Kasha Bracing, Koa binding, slotted headstock. Sourced the woods and had them shipped to the Luthier who made it, Ricky Claffey in Scotland. Expensive yes, the $6,000 it would have cost from certain nameless makers here no way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
It's beautiful Rick, congratulations!

What can you tell us about the builder? I've not heard of him/her before I don't think.

It's a him, he's in Scotland just google him. He does incredible work at a fraction of the cost here. A base price tenor is or was $1,600 mine was more because of the African blackwood, the sinker redwood top, the slotted headstock and Koa binding. He builds both guitars and ukes. Great guy to work with he had never done Kasha bracing before and he liked it so much he's thinking of using it on all his ukes.

Beautiful woods. I'm curious how you and the luthier decided where to locate the offset sound hole (GC side vs. EA side).

I also order an African Blackwood with a sinker redwood top uke to another luthier. I believe this configuration will provide warm and long sustain sound. I can't wait to get my own redwood/blackwood uke. Congrats, you get a very nice and beautiful uke. Enjoy!!

The offset sound hole is due to the Kasha bracing, there is bracing where the sound hole would usually go.

Wow, what a fabulous looking uke....congratulations!

Top Bottom