Florida Sun causes havoc on a High End Tenor Ukulele.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rappsy

Reaction score
<<< THIS UKE IS NOW SOLD. >>>

<<< I mentioned this here expecting a few shaking heads, snickers, and groans, but also to let people know that YES this can happen to you. If I can save one Uke..... >>>

<<< I'm closing the thread as there's not much more to say...>>>

I recently bought a Jason Wolverton Tenor. To bond with it, I took it on holiday with me down to the Florida Keys. On the way home, I packed it in it's case and put it in trunk to keep it out of the direct sunlight and it was in there about 8 hours.

Upon my return last night, I put it in my home. This morning, when I opened up the JW, this is what I found.

As you can see, the bridge is totally ripped off and it took the finish off around it. I have no idea if it created any warping of the neck or the body. The unusual part is that I had it tuned down one whole step to "A#" tuning, so I can only imagine if it had been at the tension of "C" tuning what would have happened.

Before sending it off for repair, I am offering this "as is" to someone who has the vision to see what it could look and sound like when it is repaired.

A little history of Jason Wolverton can be found here.

http://jasonwolverton.com/index.php?/options--info/options-and-information/

He starts his Ukes at $1999.

MAKE AN OFFER. This could be your lucky day at my expense.

DON'T BE SHY.

I am also open to a trade for a Kamaka HF-2L or 2LD (long neck concert), or a Kanile'a long neck concert or a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. Cash can be exchanged.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• JW1.jpg
    JW1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 179
  • JW2.jpg
    JW2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 209
  • JW3.jpg
    JW3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 199
  • JW4.jpg
    JW4.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Now I understand your comment to me re: JW.

So sorry to see this Lenny ... good luck with it ... Kilin Reece would also be a good choice for it, if someone on Hawaii would like to buy it ... he lives near HMS, and does all of their warrantee work, and work for Kanilea as well. He is talented.

Dude....8 hrs in a trunk in Florida sun??? I dont know what the dumbest thing you ever did was but this has gotta be right up there. Damn shame!

Stuff happens. One of the problems with a lot of instruments is that they can be as delicate as orchids. It's also probably the top reason why I don't have any high-end instruments.

Being a Floridian, am used to dealing with the heat and humidity which can be just as damaging as the Northern cold and dry air from artificial heat. Ironicaly, none of the instruments in the stable have suffered any damage despite being left outside in the summer heat (even in the rain!) or in the trunk.(in a foam case). It seems like potential instrument environmental damage versus instrument price is inversely proportional.

Dude....8 hrs in a trunk in Florida sun??? I dont know what the dumbest thing you ever did was but this has gotta be right up there. Damn shame!
It gets awfully hot in the trunk of a car. I won't put mine in there even for a short drive. And on the way home from last Saturday's meetup, I carried it into the supermarket with me when I stopped to pick up a few things. The bagger asked what it was and when I told him it was a uke he gave me a really funny look. I said, "You wouldn't leave a baby or a pet in a hot car even for 5-10 minutes, same goes for wooden instruments."

Sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way.

Hi there my name is Ki I've done a lot of repair work for people here on the forum and would be happy to fix this for you, or trade you something! I have many many Ukes, including a brand new condition long neck soprano Koaloha. Feel free to give me a call at 808-387-4583!

Aloha-Ki

And my wife laughs at me for carrying mine in cafe.

Dude I don't know what the most insensitive thing you have ever said is..........but that has got to be right up there

Rappsy has an expensive instrument explode on him and all you do is state the obvious and rub his nose it in, nice touch.

Last edited:
Dude I don't know what the most insensitive thing you have ever said is..........but that has got to be right up there

Rappsy has an expensive instrument explode on him and all you do is state the obvious and rub his nose it in, nice touch.

I agree with Dave. Kind of classless.

That's awful. Thanks for sharing, though, I probably wouldn't have thought a trunk got quite THAT hot. Best of luck resolving

Sorry to read that. Last night when I got home after playing it was cold and raining so I left everything in the car until this morning. I've done that a couple of times now but even though we don't have temperatures to rival Florida and my ukes are not that expensive, I may have a rethink.

Well...obviously, not to leave an instrument in the trunk of a hot car is not "obvious" to everybody or this fine uke would obviously still be intact. I feel bad for Lenny but he should obviously have known better...he's been around for awhile. What business my comment was is really none of your concern.
And you can obviously kiss my class!

Well...obviously, not to leave an instrument in the trunk of a hot car is not "obvious" to everybody or this fine uke would obviously still be intact. I feel bad for Lenny but he should obviously have known better...he's been around for awhile. What business my comment was is really none of your concern.

Well I guess I should stand up for myself. Yes, it was a bonehead thing to do. Yes, I should have known better. Yes, I will have to pay the price. BUT, these things are obvious. Go ahead and think it, but I see no purpose in mentioning it. I have developed a lot of friends here and it is nice to see them saying something. Thank you to them.

I mentioned this here expecting a few shaking heads, snickers, and groans, but also to let people know that YES it can happen to you.

Last edited:

Lenny is a friend so it is my concern. I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
I live in Texas and it's been 100+ here every day for a couple of weeks with no end in sight. Has anyone had a similar experience like this with USPS or a UPS truck? My buddy left a thermometer in his car just for grins and it read 142 after a few hours. I was wondering about shipping a Uke during the summer months.

I'm sorry to hear about the uke. I hope it can be repaired.

Last edited:
Blackbird tenor or Clara concert.

yep the Blackbirds are great...but they still need to be kept out of high heat...the glues could melt like any other guitar/uke

That really stinks. :-( I am in the Keys right now and it is ungodly-hot here. I didn't bring my uke because I don't see any way to avoid major stress to an instrument here right now.

That really stinks. :-( I am in the Keys right now and it is ungodly-hot here. I didn't bring my uke because I don't see any way to avoid major stress to an instrument here right now.

I just got back yesterday from 5 days there. Had a wonderful time there. Islander in Islamorada. I did bring it and that's what caused all this. (You obviously gave this more thought than I did.)

At least the time I had there was really great. Each time we go to the Keys, we say we will go back more, but it never seems to happen. At least this time we stayed a few extra days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom