Do you play a uke that far exceeds what your skill warrants?

mikelz777

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are many people out there who play a uke that far exceeds what their skill/talent warrants? If so, do you think it is likely that you'll ever reach the level that you feel truly justifies having such a nice uke?

I ask because tonight I just pulled the trigger on a new tenor that is far nicer than what my talent/skills require or warrant. I'm treating myself because I had a totally unexpected, large amount of cash come my way. I wouldn't have got it otherwise. I'm very excited about it but at the same time, I still feel a bit squirmy spending so much on such a nice uke considering where I'm at and where I realistically am likely to go.

I was wondering if there are many people out there who play a uke that far exceeds what their skill/talent warrants? If so, do you think it is likely that you'll ever reach the level that you feel truly justifies having such a nice uke?

I ask because tonight I just pulled the trigger on a new tenor that is far nicer than what my talent/skills require or warrant. I'm treating myself because I had a totally unexpected, large amount of cash come my way. I wouldn't have got it otherwise. I'm very excited about it but at the same time, I still feel a bit squirmy spending so much on such a nice uke considering where I'm at and where I realistically am likely to go.

I have a custom that far exceeds my talent level.

With that said, even with my inept playing it sounds better than my other ukes. The action is lower and easier to play thus I play a little better and it is just more enjoyable to hold and play.

Why not?

Will I ever play it to its ability. Nope. But I still love it playing to mine. Isn't that what counts?!

I would wager many, if not most, moderately serious uke enthusiasts' instruments are excessive to the bare minimum quality intonation and playability to make satisfying sounding music. To wit, most professional musicians have pretty ordinary instruments. But many of us ordinary folks like pretty woods, precise craftsmanship and some of us even like bling. It's great you had a nice windfall, so enjoy your splurge. Look forward to finding out what you picked!

I'd say my best ukes are Mainland cedar tenor, a Pono mahogany tenor and my Lehua acacia tenor, none of which were *that* expensive.

I did buy a used classical guitar once used for more than a couple grand. Never regretted it.

You said you came into some unexpected money. What a fun way to spend it on yourself. Better than a high powered/dangerous motorcycle.

I would wager many, if not most, moderately serious uke enthusiasts' instruments are excessive to the bare minimum quality intonation and playability to make satisfying sounding music. To wit, most professional musicians have pretty ordinary instruments. But many of us ordinary folks like pretty woods, precise craftsmanship and some of us even like bling. It's great you had a nice windfall, so enjoy your splurge. Look forward to finding out what you picked!

Off topic, but do you have pics of your Hive? Jake's craftsmanship and knowledge are top rate!

No stooge wrote a rule that says you have to be able to justify owning a certain value instrument by your skill level. If that were the case then almost all ukulele makers would be out of business. There'd be no market.

Buy that which you can afford and makes you happy and motivated to play. It's your money. Heck, hang the thing on a wall and gaze at it with lustful and loving eyes. Then take it off the wall and play the snozzle out of it. Don't feel guilty, apologetic or unworthy; feel darn glad that we live in a world where these things are possible. If you're hung up about your level of playing, use that as motivation to improve. And what better instrument to use than the lovely one you've just bought.

Congrats Mike. Look forward to the big reveal!

About six months after I started playing ukulele, I ordered a custom gypsy jazz style from a builder in Vietnam for $780, less than half of any other builder I contacted, and the most money to this day I've spent on a uke. Even though it's not my loudest uke, it's mellow and is beautiful and I enjoy it.

So enjoy it, play it, relish it, and use it to the best of your ability. The more you play, the better you get. (I'm a member of the Talk Bass forum club titled; "Crappy Bassist w/Expensive Gear, #336" and proud of it.)

Last edited:
Can you imagine if this same logic applied to the weekend golfers (like myself)? The golf industry would go broke :) Enjoy your new addition to the uke family regardless how skilled you are just as long as you're having fun!

What language is this? I seem to understand all the words but arranged like that they make no sense.

Jeff

Actually, I think you need more skill to make an inexpensive instrument sound good.

I struggled with the whole question for a bit when I dropped over a grand on a ukulele, but the doubt went away when I got it. Great playability and perfect intonation benefit someone with limited skill as much, if not more, than an advanced player whose skill may compensate for shortcomings of the instrument.

A high quality instrument may well remove obstacles and annoyances from the learning experience (wrong action, not staying in tune, etc.), which allows a better focus on improving musicianship instead of having to fight with the ukulele.

If there was a correlation between skill level and the price of an instrument, I'd not "deserve" more than a plastic $30 ukulele. But then I'd look for a different hobby, because I'd probably not have nearly as much fun. :)

I have a semi-custom Kamaka HF-3 that clearly exceeds my skill level but I think it's better to start on the best instrument you can (as advised by Jake S I think) - it definitely gives you a goal too so don't worry about it!

Jake plays Kamaka. They also sell their instruments to all of us that are far less skilled and deserving then Jake. The Kamaka family is really glad so many of us don't warrant owning their instuments but buy them anyways.

The golf analogy was already used but my bag is worth over 2K and PGA pros using the same stuff can shoot a 63 to my 83, I enjoy those clubs immensely.

I started out with a $135.00 tenor realized I loved ukulele and quickly purchased ukes of increasingly higher costs. With each better uke I fell deeper in love with the music I was able to make with them. The ukes I own now will always and forever be so much better than I am, thats ok. One strum or plucked note of pure gorgeous tone and it is worth every penny. It brings so much enjoyment

Congratulations on aquiring a fine instrument..........now WHAT is it :drool:

I think buying an expensive instrument is worth it. I enjoy my time playing them so much.

Ha it said THAT I have a few inexpensive Ukes that I love to play as well. I really enjoy them and I appreciate their tone and don't care how much I paid for them.

I think this is an interesting thread & I'm happy to see the replies! :)

I'm hoping to get an ukulele at Christmas time that I hope will see me from a beginner, into intermediate, and maybe even beyond. It will certainly be above my skill level! But I like what upskydowncloud said about goals; I want to be able to step up and be the best I can to match whichever instrument I will welcome into my home! :eek:

Maybe thinking of the "above-skill-level" ukulele as a "teacher" who can take you and your skills to places you dreamed about going might be a nice way to think about it, too, and take some of the pressure off...

It's only an instrument. It's "value" is as subjective as it gets.

One's skill level does not determine whether one "qualifies" to have or play any instrument. The only "qualification" is one's decision to acquire, and the tactors which lead to that are legion.

Simply put, if it feels good, get it!

With so many professional musicians playing K brand ukuleles, I would say yes, the ukes I play definitely exceed my skill level. Do enjoy having beautiful, great sounding ukuleles though.

Last edited:
Either every ukulele will exceed your talent, or none will.

This. Beautifully stated.

To the OP, the idea that an instrument is or is not worthy to be played by someone due to their skill level is silly. The instrument is a tool, and a means of musical expression. Use the one that best helps amplify your individual voice.

Either every ukulele will exceed your talent, or none will.

This puts some nice perspective on the question and I feel more reassured after reading everyone's responses so far. While I'm way past struggling to down-stroke my way through a 2-chord song, HMS won't ever be hiring me to do ukulele sound demos. I suppose it's kind of like driving a car. Not really skill-wise but a cheap car is going to get the job done but a nicer, more expensive car is going to feel more substantial and will make the same trip nicer and more enjoyable.

It's not like I'm breaking the bank with this purchase but for me, it's a lot of money to spend on a uke. After a lot of deliberation, I decided to get a Pono ATD, an all-solid acacia wood with Macassar ebony bridge and fingerboard and a gloss finish. I haven't received it yet of course but this is what Andrew at HMS chose for me. He sent me these pics:

Pono_ATD-1.jpgPono_ATD-2.jpg

I like the color a lot, it leans to the darker side. The grain patterns in the body look nice and when I blow the picture up a bit, I can see kind of a swirling, twisting, contrasting grain pattern in the ebony fretboard. It looks kind of like smoke coming out of the sound hole. You can see it better if you right click and open the picture in a new window. I dig it, Andrew did a great job picking it out for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom