UAS Strikes Again - Argh!

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Help! I'm in the throws of UAS again. I have a National Reso-Phonic in a flame figured Maple and a Fender T-Bucket in sunburst finish, both coming today. The wife knows about the National, but I'm going to have to think of some explanation for the Fender.

But the real problem is this: In my experience, UAS strikes in groups of three. That means I'm going to be ordering another Ukulele. Argh! I don't even know what it will be. Maybe I should order some stands, or tuners, or method books. Would that count toward UAS? Or, am I doomed by the fates to ordering another Uke? Please help!

Dodged the bullet, at least for now. The FedEx truck pulled up just when I was outside with the garage door open. So, no doorbell delivery, etc. I got the boxes open in the garage, and carried the Ukes inside. I made a fuss about the National, and I don't think the wife even noticed the Fender. She just isn't that tuned in to my Ukes, no pun intended. But that still leaves me in a quandary about the third one. I feel the UAS creeping up the back of my neck even now!

Been working on San Francisco Bay Blues on my new National. Haven't really done anything on the Fender yet other than tune it and making sure the electronics work.

Last edited:
Well, congrats George! I know the feeling, lack of cash flow, the need for a new roof and a car and some broken/missing teeth (okay, I won't get drunk and start anymore bar fights) has stopped my UAS hard and fast, so fast it left skidmarks on my heart. I'll just have to settle for SAS....(song acquisition syndrome)....if I bring home another uke, I might wind up divorced! TAmmy does NOT understand, although she admits to having too many (4) guitars. She has 3 ukes, I gave her 2 of them. She's happy with that.

Glad to hear that other people carry on like this too!!
I've ordered ukes in some sort of elated fit, then had the horrible come down - realising that there will be the dreaded knock on the door or card in the mail box that will reveal the embarrassing truth to my wife, my kids, my community.... that I have no self-control!!!!
If only they knew how many beautiful ukes I have fallen in love with - and let go....
I guess you guys are the only ones that really understand .....(sniff, sniff - wiping away tears...)
Good luck to you Mr Vegas - there are many people throwing much more money at much less worthy passions.

Oh dear, looks like another case for Doctor Eugene...

Brother George,

having read your correspondence I believe we need to book you in for an intensive treatment program.

Thankfully there are many of these that run in Sin City. As I run them myself, I would be happy to accompany you to and from the premises wherein these are held, taking a route that avoids passing the several instrument retail outlets between your home and the clinic.

The fact that you have already excused a future third ukulele purchase by default, whilst already lamenting the first two does ring alarm bells from a psychological and psychiatric standpoint and thus, prompt action is required.

Payment for your treatment may be substituted for the instruments you have purchased and these may be sent to me in my rooms directly.

I look forward to working with you in remedying your affliction and remain,

your (friendly) doctor,

Eugene.

LOL thanks for the laugh! But remember, the only reson its funny is because it's true, and I've been there too at (more than) one point or another! Never had it in 3's, but I had 7 over 6 months once. Didn't keep a single one more than a couple weeks, but that's not the point is it. :eek: I won't tell you how this "ends"...

....the first two does ring alarm bells from a psychological and psychiatric standpoint and thus, prompt action is required. ....

Oh dear! Psychological alarm bells reminds me of the time I escaped from the hospital, only to get my gown caught on those sharp pointy things on the top of the fence! Don't say scary things like that to me. And, how did you know, anyway?

My UAS / MAS / LBA are held in check by... a computer. My wife's computer. The one she uses to handle the household finances. The one that tracks all monetary transactions. Doesn't matter if I hide a new instrument -- if it was bought with a card, she knows. And she has hinted that enough is enough.

There's a solution. I just need to get off my lazy butt and sell stuff on eBay again. Whatever money goes into my PayPal account is mine to blow, er I mean invest in fine instruments. And of course I'm piling up some pin money, a little cash-stash for use at garage sales and flea markets. When she and her sister are off in Ireland in a few weeks, UAS may have its way. Heh heh.

Sometimes I think it's a shopping addiction more than UAS when it comes to "groups of" shopping and ukes happen to be the target most of the time, but not always.

I don't think the wife even noticed the Fender. .

Reminds me of the guy who buys all his motorbikes the same colour. As long it's the same colour there's a good chance his wife won't notice the new bike.

Last edited:
I've been told that I must sell a uke if I am to buy any more. :(

My prediction has been realized. I just bought a John Morton Tenor Resonator. That's the third one, and the UAS relief is palpable! I don't know why UAS strikes me in sets of three like that. It borders on an OCD type thing. The Morton will be much appreciated as I've been missing a tenor sized resonator in my collection. And, it won't take up space in my humidified cabinet which is starting to look pretty full.

I've resolved to forgo any further acquisitions until Kamaka has their 2016 anniversary models available. Then, I'm going to try to limit it to just one really nice one! But, I'm so weak, ..... pray for me!

Last edited:
Really......I can stop whenever I want to. Bartender another round of ukes for the house :cheers:

VG, I am with you on the Kamaka anniversary models. I do not own a single Kamaka but I will when those are released......maybe more than one. Maybe three :biglaugh:

"Abandon all hope yea who enter here" should be a compulsory warning on every music store or the market place section of Uke websites.

I know it still wouldn't work.

I just transferred the deposit for my new Barron River 8 string today. Now to be patient but not as patient as I have to be for my Beau Hannam Tassie Blackwood hand rubbed sun burst tenor. The Barron River should be here before this Xmas (Allen has become very popular lately have started 4 ukes this week and has a class to squeeze in before he can start on mine. Whereas the Hannam probably won't arrive much before Xmas 2016. All of us cognoscetti have created the waitlist monster on our own. Th logical outcome to UAS of epidemic proportion.

My prediction has been realized. I just bought a John Morton Tenor Resonator. That's the third one, and the UAS relief is palpable! I don't know why UAS strikes me in sets of three like that. It borders on an OCD type thing. The Morton will be much appreciated as I've been missing a tenor sized resonator in my collection. And, it won't take up space in my humidified cabinet which is starting to look pretty full.

I've resolved to forgo any further acquisitions until Kamaka has their 2016 anniversary models available. Then, I'm going to try to limit it to just one really nice one! But, I'm so weak, ..... pray for me!

Wow, Geo, where'd you find the Morton? Buy it new? Any pix or review...?

So, how do you like the Morton? I just bought a used one from Lil' Rev. I'm not sure what strings he has on it, they might be an Aquila set with a high g. I think I'll put on a set of Worth Clears with low G.

Help! I'm in the throws of UAS again. I have a National Reso-Phonic in a flame figured Maple and a Fender T-Bucket in sunburst finish, both coming today. The wife knows about the National, but I'm going to have to think of some explanation for the Fender.

But the real problem is this: In my experience, UAS strikes in groups of three. That means I'm going to be ordering another Ukulele. Argh! I don't even know what it will be. Maybe I should order some stands, or tuners, or method books. Would that count toward UAS? Or, am I doomed by the fates to ordering another Uke? Please help!

I know how it feels when you really want a uke but you're not sure if it's a good idea. I so wanted to take up the uke and that started me with UAS. I had a pretty bad case but I couldn't do anything to get rid of it. Luckily, My cousin has cured me with a little Kala. I had a gig with it yesterday. I had a blast. I'm verry happy with this little Kala.

Top Bottom