Cheat Finger for Chords

Not "cheating", just alternative fingerings. Many folks here use them and many more on the Islands that grew up learning to play without ever seeing a "fingering chart."

My late bro-in-law was a talented painter -- and police chief of a good-sized city. He said there's no cheating in art. Yes, SIR! (It's the law.) ;)

And there's no cheating in fingering and chording string instruments, not unless you're playing under some imposed restrictions. We use various fingerings for various reasons: because there's no other way to physically handle a passage, or to achieve a certain voicing, or as a comfortable transition, or we've just gotten into the habit, whatever. The goal is to produce a sound we want. How we get there is up to us. We can use that peripatetic pinky for good or evil. Just don't lip-sync, hey?

Good ways of playing feel so effortless that it feels like cheating. So looking for the easiest way is a path to being good! Sometimes we block ourselves because of resistance to how easy it feels.

Yes it did, and thanks for everyones replies. Some of the chord fingering was a bit mind boggling with the player expected to contort the fingers into some very strange positions (ie cover 2 strings, miss the next and yet cover the last), so I am very very glad there can be other ways to play them.

I found this video on YT that explains some cheat versions on chords that you can use, instead of the usual fingering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xubdDsgZL2E

I'd love to hear any other ones you may know.

I like his two minute tips video series. He has an easy demeanor, good voice, and an understanding of what students' might be thinking. Lots of people have talent to play, but not everyone has the gift of teaching. He appears to posses the gift of teaching and I am going to look into his video lessons.

Thank you for the link.

Wow. Thanks for posting this video, beneficial to me right off. I'll be watching this video more than a few times, even after writing the fingerings down on an index card.

Add me to the club. I love your vids and subscribe to your channel. Thanks so much for making it all available.

+1
Just saw this video yesterday, glad for this post cuz it reminded me that I want to subscribe. I've been playing for several years but still found his info super helpful.

Top Bottom