Cedar top, satin finish

Fleacia

Reaction score
I'm looking at lower budget, production ukes first of all. I see Ohana and Mainland both have concerts with solid cedar tops. I'm a huge fan of western red cedar! But can't stand a gloss finish in my hands... :(

Anyone know of a uke, basically the Mainland cedar/rosewood concert, with a satin finish? I know cedar and spruce tops are often gloss, and I'm assuming it is to protect the softer soundboard. But guitars do cedar tops with matte finishes... So is a uke like this somewhere, out there?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Checkout Sailor Brand at Uke Republic

Checkout Sailor Brand at Uke Republic

I heard a Sailor Brand cedar topped mahogany concert neck soprano last November at TBUC. It had a satin finish and was one of the best sounding instruments I heard all weekend.

Thanks! The Sailors are pretty but out of my price range. The Ohanas seem to be glossy but not sure about that. I've considered re-finishing, or rubbing down the gloss, but that's not something I'd want to do myself. I haven't decided whether it would be worth hiring someone to do the job. Any thoughts or other suggestions welcome!

Top Bottom