Tonewood Amp - Ampless Amplifier for travelling musicians...

I'm one of the Kickstarter investors of the ToneWoodAmp, waiting for delivery sometime in September, in fact, today I just ordered an extra magnetic holder for it. I'm anxious to ry it on my acoustic bass ukes, as well as my ukes.

I wonder about two things. How much does the extra weight affect the feel of the instrument, and do you feel the extra vibration. Other than those two possible distractions, it seems pretty cool.

Very cool ideal. To be clear, at present, you need one with a pickup but they're working on a inexpensive pickup if you don't have one? Also, does it work with a uke? It only mentions guitars.

I figure I'll be the guinea pig on uke and on bass uke. Part of making the Kickstarter investment is getting one, which they say should be delivered in September.

I figure I'll be the guinea pig on uke and on bass uke. Part of making the Kickstarter investment is getting one, which they say should be delivered in September.

I wish I'd gotten into the Kickstarter - I'm scheduled to get one in October. I also want to try it on a bass uke. The only issue I see with using it on a uke is that the sound hole might not be big enough to easily get your hand in there and place the magnetic device that holds it on the back. The issue on the Bass is that I have no idea how it will respond to the lower frequencies. Also I'm not clear how much it amplifies and how much it just adds effects. The site doesn't really mention making it louder except where it says that you can stand out better when you have a solo.

The pickup they are working on it one of those sound hole pickups for guitar - there are quite a few of them available already. I have used them on guitars in the past.

If it doesn't work on my bass uke it will be interesting to experiment of some ukes or a guitar, but I really want it because I am desperately hoping for a boost to the acoustic bass.

Very cool ideal. To be clear, at present, you need one with a pickup but they're working on a inexpensive pickup if you don't have one? Also, does it work with a uke? It only mentions guitars.

From the FAQ

Q? DOES IT WORK WITH OTHER ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENTS?
The ToneWoodAmp has been tested and developed mostly for acoustic guitars, but we alway have in mind other instruments. In any case, the current version for the ToneWoodAmp is recommended for acoustic guitars only. TWAmps for other instruments will be available in the future.

It does seem cool, but I bet it's pretty big and heavy for a uke.

Cool idea, but I think I would stick to a regular amp.

But hey, it's a really cool concept, hope it trends!

I've never heard an acoustic instrument that didn't sound worse when plugged in. I'd go with a mic and small amp.

It depends entirely on the situation. If you are performing you cannot move around if you are glued to an amp. In some places you cannot plug in. In most live situations subtleties of sound are lost anyway.

It depends entirely on the situation. If you are performing you cannot move around if you are glued to an amp. In some places you cannot plug in. In most live situations subtleties of sound are lost anyway.

Just get a longer cord from your instrument to your amp. A 20ft guitar cable is less than $20 almost everywhere...

This might be useful if you want to add a bit of reverb and are playing an open mic, and don't want to be 'that guy' that has to drag a pedal (or pedal board) on stage and plug everything in, taking 5 mins from your maybe 15 min time allotment...

I'd expect that with this device installed, and if you are standing in front of a mic, that the reverb, however subtle, would be heard, however the acoustics of the venue might work against you and muddy up the sound, but there's no way to know until SOMEONE tries it! :)

I was backer #13 for this unique device. I have plans to use it with my guitars but I bought an extra mag mount for my new Mya Moe baritone too. Who knows it might sound great! I think I have watched every demo video and when you watch the various artists faces light up when they try it, it's a good sign. Fingers crossed!

Top Bottom