Blind A/B Sound Test -- Two Ukes

robedney

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd really appreciate some feedback. I've linked to a Soundcloud audio file with two tenor ukuleles, identified as A and B. It's a short clip, just individual strings, a thumb roll and some quick strums.

I'll identify the instruments after you all have a chance to voice your thoughts.

https://soundcloud.com/user564337226/sound-test-1

Quick technical details: Recorded through a Samson usb mic straight into an Ipad running Garage Band. "Dry" setting (no effects/delay/etc.). Manual gain control on input, same level for both instruments. Both instruments same distance from mic.

I don't hear much difference, but I'd pick the 1st one.

A - I didn't like the sound of the open strings plucked, notably the high E and A strings sounded a bit abrasive to me. As the tension got higher it seemed to lose volume. I was wondering if the E had a slight buzz even? Had a much nicer tone overall when strummed.

B - The highs were sweeter on this uke and it had better balance across the strings, also a richer and fuller sound overall when both strummed and picked.

I preferred the second one.

Uke No. 2 for me too.
First one sounded kind of brittle - like all the mids had been rolled back.
Second uke had more depth to the sound - warmer, fuller and more cuddly.

First one was more trebly. Almost tinny, though it's hard to know with PC recording. Second had a more traditional ukulele sound. I'd be surprised if the second ukulele didn't have a softer top wood.

Then of course, there's how you're playing them. Playing the second one close to the bridge on some ukuleles could get a tone close to the first. Or playing the first one up the neck could get a tone like the second.

Mind games.

So what were they?

The 2nd one, by a good margin.

To my ears, the first one sounds a little stiff or strident. The second sounds sweeter, but muted. I'd use the first one in a jam, I think it would be heard; and the second for solo playing.

If I had to choose one, I'd pick the second...

Part B, part A. ;-)

I prefer "B" for the initial staccato strums, but for the faster strumming it overdrives the mid-range and overpowers the higher and lower registers (if I had to guess, I'd say it's a mahogany uke). So for the faster strums, I'd choose "A".

I prefer the 2nd one for sure

Top Bottom