DIY Uke Strap

Purdy Bear

Reaction score
As I'm a total skin flint and good with a needle I made my own Ukulele strap. Here's a picture of it:

The problems you may face, is that any connector needs to pass under the strings at the headstock end, also the ribbon/webbing needs to be narrow enough to fit between the nut and Tuners.

I chose a woven ribbon, all the webbing was in boy colours like browns and blacks. I did buy some a typical webbing clips but they didn't pass under the strings, so chose instead a buckle, and some pretty buttons. I found the ribbon was pretty impossible to cut a button hole in, so used a press stud underneath the button to hold it together.

If anyone wants a tutorial let me know, it's pretty easy as long as you can sew on a press stud/popper. The press stud will fit through the back of the buckle, so I can adjust the loop if need by and take the strap off when in storage.

I've also brought some blue flowered woven ribbon to do another, but I want to try out this prototype first to see if I need to make any adjustments.

The strap is made long as I'm a lady with a big chest, so need the Ukulele further down then the normal held positioning.

Thanks
Purdy

Last edited:
Thanks Purdy! That looks very nice. :)
My DIY uke strap is more simple. The instruction is shown in uke leash site.

attachment.php

Sounds interesting, I'd love a tutorial and/or more description of what you did exactly. I have a Uke Leash and it works great. Also my uke has a strap button, but I don't often like to use it. I weave and knit and have thought about making a strap, something fun and made just for this uke and me. :)

Thanks for your great comments. Here's the tutorial.

You will need.

2 press studs/poppers
2 buttons - these aren't necessary just for it to look pretty.
2 buckles - this allows you to adjust the loops, but they need to be flat ones so they will pass under the head strings.
Cotton thread
Needle
Ribbon or webbing - the above was woven ribbon.
A lighter/match or clear nail varnish.

Firstly measure around the neck of the uke, up around your shoulders and down and around the bum area of the Ukulele. This will give you the basic length you will need for the ribbon/webbing. I would add a bit on so you have room to play with. Then measure with width between the nut and the first tuners, this will give you the maximum width of the ribbon/webbing. I ordered a 25mm x 3 yards weaved ribbon.

If the ribbon has no pattern like mine you can just cut it to size, burn the ends to seal it or paint clear nail varnish to stop it fraying. You then wiggle on the buckles on both ends and push them up a bit. Place the ribbon around nut end pass it through the buckle with an extra tail and mark where the end comes with a pin, This is where the press stud goes. Do the same with the one in front of the saddle/bum area.

Take the ribbon/webbing out, sew on the press stud and make sure it all works. You then simple fix the nice button on the front to hide the press stud fixings. The press stud stops the ribbon pulling itself free of the buckle. A nice broach would work the same way with no need for the buckle or press stud.

All the supplies, except the cotton and thread were from Ebay UK

I hope that explains it a bit better.

Last edited:
If your ukulele is fitted with a strap button, how about making a button hole in one end of your strap. I experimented with a strap under the strings and was unhappy with it though I have seen several people on You Tube with a similar arrangement to the OP and it seems to work for them.

As usual, horses for courses.

Top Bottom