Sticky Fingers?

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using rosin powder or other substances on their finger tips for picking? I'm thinking that something dry and grabby, like rosin, might create a sharper, more definite and louder pick with the fleshy part of the finger tip. Those of you lucky enough to have usable finger nails needn't bother with the question. But, those of you who, like me, have no nails and are frustrated with plastic picks might be interested in the idea. What do you think?

Personally rosin didn't work for me, too sticky actually. And really hard to get off the strings, even with just a little rosin. I've thought about and tried glue - put some on your fingertips and let it dry. I'm not recommending this, though it worked. I don't know if it would cause any skin damage, especially if used long-term. But it creates a harder fingertip surface, and because it was dry, didn't leave any coating on the strings. Could also try bail polish or gel finish. That may be better for your skin than glue - or maybe not, either way there would be chemicals involved. The only other things I've tried are baby powder and corn starch. But they're not what you're after, as they created a smooth surface, not a grabby one.

Have you tried metal finger picks, like for banjo or dobro? I've never used them on my ukuleles, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. Not sure what sound metal on nylon would make.....

Hi, George, you've been agonizing over your picking for a long time now. Here's what I would do: I would try different picks (including felt ones) until I found one that I liked, or I would learn to enjoy playing with my bare fingers, or, like lots of others do, learn to fingerpick with just my bare thumb. I like (and use sometimes) the bare thumb.

Now, I can't memorize well, so I play and sing the ones that I know and use music for the ones that I don't. Also, I don't do anything very fast, so I don't play "Sabre Danse" or "The Flight of the Bumble Bee" on my ukuleles. In a lot less words, I just do what I can and enjoy what talent and expertise that I have--I JUST DO IT!

So, get on with it, maybe you just can't be like everyone else. Anyway, whatever you do, be grateful! :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Have you tried metal finger picks, like for banjo or dobro? I've never used them on my ukuleles, but there's no reason it wouldn't work. Not sure what sound metal on nylon would make.....

I have! And, let me say that the most comfortable and best sounding are the ProPiks. Using a plastic Dunlop thumb pick, and ProPik finger picks works very nicely. But, I'm constantly worried about scratching the tops of my beautiful instruments with the metal. But your suggestion has me thinking about them again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom