Any tip on tuning Double Neck Ukulele?

cebukenieduke

Reaction score
Just putting some final set up on my DIY double neck ukulele. It's a Baritone tandem with a tenor. I find having DGBE and GCEA as an odd twin tuning. What then is the best tuning for a double neck ukulele. Have to admit my limited knowledge on chords but what I'm looking at is having to let Neck 1 be the "first voice" while Neck 2 as the "second voice". Will fully appreciate any assistance please.

I cooked-up various schemes and dreams about twin- and triple-neck 'ukes but they never reached bari+tenor level. (I thought of two sopranos, one tuned standard, the other in fifths.) An 8-string tenor in GCEA backed by the bari in DGBE would have consistent, very guitar-like handling. A tenor in gCEa with the bari strung GceA (or Adf#B, Venezuelan cuatro tuning, the D'Addario J98 string set) would have two very different re-entrant voices. How you string and tune depends on the music you want to make with it, eh?

I've thought about different tunings for a double neck too. A simple high and low g setup wouldn't be too bad.

Do you have any pictures of your project?

Thanks guys for possible tuning. Find it hard to upload thru this CP will try desktop. Actually I'm on my second Double Neck Uke this time its a combi between Ubass and Baritone. It's more of trying to hit two birds (B1B2) with one sling. I guess have to try circle of 5th transposing for the Baritone and Tenor.

Again thanking you all for replies.

Thanks guys for possible tuning. Find it hard to upload thru this CP will try desktop. Actually I'm on my second Double Neck Uke this time its a combi between Ubass and Baritone. It's more of trying to hit two birds (B1B2) with one sling. I guess have to try circle of 5th transposing for the Baritone and Tenor.

Again thanking you all for replies.

Find it hard to upload here try Google - Malate Ukulele Banjo Clinic Facebook

An odd DIY Double Neck Uke

How about some pictures of this double neck uke? Sorry, but I'm a visual type person. Thanks.

This is my version of an odd DIY double neck Ukulele. I don't consider myself as a legit luthier but more of a gut feel make believe guthier.

Why odd? Maybe you can enjoy your laugh cause the baritone d/w tenor adopted the principle of trampoline, thus, the side holes.

Also, it has three inlet for pick-ups. Each has its own while the third links the two. In essence I can have two separate amp for each. But if you have a single amp each pick up inlet has its own unique loudness.

Passive piezo transducer were used and maybe you'll drop from your seat if I tell you that I retrieved such piezo from old dusty smoke alarm stuck on my ceiling for years.

Another unique feature are the eight strings that I used. Again enjoy your laugh cause instead of having varied diameter size strings it has the same single size for DGBE and GCEA.

This is where my post is coming from cause such tune combination does not seat well for 1st voice and 2nd voice tandem double neck Uke. Got some list of songs for doubles but the tuning needs to harmoniously blend together.

The second double neck is another story, but then, before giving it that negative smirk look, I'll post sample youtube.... Hehehe .... common guys ... be kind to Dr. FrUKEinstein please.

Attachments

• 20150517_172518.jpg
    20150517_172518.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20150801_070636.jpg
    20150801_070636.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 31
How about reinforcing the neck somehow, and fitting very heavy gauge strings to be played either open or on the harmonics as drone strings? Not sure how you'd tune it though.

My take on a double neck. Six string guitarlele top tuned ADGCEA and tenor below GCEA.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom