FS: Ko’olau T1 Hawaiian Ash tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTurner

Reaction score
It’s hard to find a Ko’olau Hawaiian ash tenor. I believe Noa Bonk did only a limited run of these.
I’ve had this uke for two years, but I'm making room for a custom.

Top, back and sides are made of Hawaiian ash, a surprisingly beautiful tone wood.
Rosewood fingerboard and tie bridge. Bone nut and saddle. Nut is standard 1 7/16”
Mother of pearl fret markers and headstock logo.
The neck is very comfortable and the action is low. Currently strung with Southcoast Mediums.
This simple design is beautifully executed, with a satin finish that is smooth to the touch.
It projects a full and rich sound with good volume when strumming, but it also rings clearly with quieter picking.
It’s in excellent condition, with no dings or scratches.
(NOTE: There are some strum marks on the treble side of the upper bout. You can see them if you hold it at exactly the right angle, but you can't see them from 2 feet away.)

SOUND: It sounds much deeper and fuller than other light-colored woods (like spruce and maple).
Here's a soundfile:https://app.box.com/s/zd10htbrwdcskqtqvqmahg3wifqicbrb
And here’s Corey playing it on the HMS site:https://vimeo.com/33332796

$895 includes Uke Crazy tweed hard case and insured ConUS shipping. Payment by Paypal.
(If you know me from my UU posts/videos, I’d be happy for a friends/gift transfer.)

View attachment 82170View attachment 82171View attachment 82172View attachment 82173View attachment 82174

Last edited:
Seems like a nice deal on an all-business, nice sounding uke. Good luck with the sale!

Sweet looking and sounding Ko'olau Craig. Grab it folks. Hawaiian Ash Ko'olau tenors are rarely seen for sale.

This is a great deal! I have played one Hawaiian Ash ko'olau and it sounded wonderful. Reminded me a bit of myrtle.

Koolau Ash wood is my dream uke.! If I've budget , It gonna be mine :)

I also have another ukulele that made from ash , It's beautiful sound .

Ash, the preferred wood for ukuleles and baseball bats. Lol.

That sure is a sweet uke, Craig. I could have sworn someone was on UU asking about an ash Koolau about a month ago. Hopefully, they'll see your ad. Koolaus are the very best of the Ks. 😍

Koolau Ash wood is my dream uke.! If I've budget , It gonna be mine :)
I also have another ukulele that made from ash , It's beautiful sound .

I agree with you about the sound of Hawaiian ash. The light color makes you think it will have a bright sound, but instead it's warm and mellow.

Earlier this year, I heard this uke at Craig & Cindy's home.

Their Ko'olau in ash is a marvelous uke -- looks and tone to die for. (I own a T-1 that sounds like its brother.)

If you're on the fence, make the leap. You will not be sorry!

I agree with you about the sound of Hawaiian ash. The light color makes you think it will have a bright sound, but instead it's warm and mellow.

It truly is a beautiful sounding uke and it's another good example that "light colored woods = bright" is misinformation. In custom ukes, it's the luthier's build that matters most. Plenty of warm sounding maple ukes, mango ukes, etc. End of mini-rant. Yours truly, Future President of Light-colored Tonewoods Unite ;-)

I really appreciate all the kind comments about the instrument. It's been a wonderful player for me, such a different sound and feel.

Bump for the weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom