Recording with an iPad

Piecomics

Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting interested in playing around with looping, using my iPad. From what I can tell I need a microphone, and someway to connect the microphone jack to the iPad air. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this, and can make any recommendations. Ideally nothing that is going to break the bank.

Thanks!

Really depends on your goals. To get started you can even use the built-in mic . From there, you can get things like the Blue Mikey Digital that plugs right into the 30-pin jack (or whatever the equivalent is on the newer ones - I still have an "ancient" iPad 2 :) ). These are generally $100 or less. And from there, the sky is the limit with mics and interfaces.

For apps, there's lot of loopers out there but hard to fault Loopy HD for features and ease of use.

If you are going to spend that amount of money on a USB mic, then I would look towards spending a little more and look at getting a Zoom H2n digital recorder.
Works both as a USB mic and digital recorder. Has excellent mics and various recording options.
h

I do a lot of recording through my iPad. It's a great tool for an on the go recording set up. Garageband is a decent program too.

I highly recommend the Apogee MiC. It's got an incredible sound and I use it for nearly all of my videos. It connects through the lightening port or you can hook it up to your computer.

I second the apogee MiC for great sound. The built in preamp and gain control really helps you dial in the perfect sound and it has connectors for any kind of iDevice you may have. It is mono however... FYI. i think Booli would third this microphone as well.

I do a lot of recording through my iPad. It's a great tool for an on the go recording set up. Garageband is a decent program too.

I highly recommend the Apogee MiC. It's got an incredible sound and I use it for nearly all of my videos. It connects through the lightening port or you can hook it up to your computer.

I second the apogee MiC for great sound. The built in preamp and gain control really helps you dial in the perfect sound and it has connectors for any kind of iDevice you may have. It is mono however... FYI. i think Booli would third this microphone as well.

Ha Ha! YES.

The Apogee MIC is the simplest solution, while ALSO the best SOUNDING, and MOST versatile, that I've tried in the past 20+ yrs or so of trying to record on a computer in a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) environment.

Back in Nov'14, as per a very kind and helpful recommendation from fellow UU brother Librainian, I took advantage of the Apogee Black Friday sale and bought both an Apogee MIC, and an Apogee JAM at a great discount.

They have replaced RACKS full of gear, and a 1/4 mile of cables that I had accumulated over the past 20+ yrs. My pro condenser mics have not been taken out once since then. Also for doing stereo mic setups (aka X/Y) there are several free software plugins that you can use to take your mono track and 'simulate' pretty accurately a stereo X/Y mic sound, which for a close-mic'd instrument is really just to give a bit of depth via Haas comb filtering and impulse response curves to simulate how the human ear perceives sound - ALL via a single cable - MUCH better for me than the 30 mins to setup all the gear otherwise before owning the Apogee...

My setup now takes like 3 mins:

1) take items out of carry case
2) clip mic holder to desk
3) attach Apogee MIC or Apogee JAM to holder
4) plug in cable
5) open software, check levels
6) hit record

Also, adding to what was said by our fellow UU member thejumpingflea:

IMHO, Garageband is both very powerful while simple to use.

You can start a project on iOS, and then later, via iTunes, bring that project over to your Mac, and then open it on Garageband on the Mac and continue to work on it and add polish, but sadly, I do not think that you can go from Mac OSX Garageband back to iOS Garageband after that...

Also, I can confirm that the Apogee products work with the older 30-pin iOS connector as well as the Lightning connector (new since the iPhone 4), and with the USB cable, I can confirm that both products work with Ardour, Jokosher, oCenaudio, and Audacity on Xubuntu Linux, and all programs that I've tried on Mac OSX and iOS (way to many to list), but I don't know first-hand if they work in Windows, since I'll never touch Windows again, but I read that some folks have tried them on Windows.

This wide compatibility is due to the hardware being USB-Audio 'Class-Compliant' which means it needs no drivers, and should work on basically any hardware/operating-system without issues.

I love the sound quality and ease of use of both the Apogee MIC and JAM. You cannot go wrong with an Apogee product. They are considered high-quality and high-end devices by many pros.

Every time I use mine, I am thankful :bowdown: to Librainian for sharing the info about the Black Friday sale.

I've noticed that on their site, Apogee sometimes has refurb models for sale at a discount, and the units I have were in fact refurbs, and they both have worked flawlessly for me.

Sweetwater Sound typically has a demo or 'open box' model for sale, with free shipping, and I've also had good luck buying gear from B & H Photo in NYC, which also has free shipping for MANY items and no tax if you are outside of NY.

TLDR; get an Apogee product!

Piecomics, simple and won't break the bank idea, an idea that I love and that works phenomenally.

If you already own a uke with a pickup and an amp, it records wonderfully directly to your iPad Air. It's the simplest solution that I have found--pretty much a thirty-second set-up.

1) plug in uke to amp
2) turn on IPad
3) start recording.

Just a little experimentation with volume of amplifier and location of the Air relative to the speaker and you'll get nice, crisp recordings (once you know where to put the Air relative to the amp, and what amp volume, you just do the same thing every time).

JimHanks is right, the iPad Air mic (dual mics, I think) are truly fabulous; Apple has put a lot of thought into those tiny buggers. They just need a little zing for recording volume.

Won't break the bank, either (if you have the Uke w pickup and amp already, as many do; if not, a great excuse to buy more gear...lol).

Related: New iPads being announced Sept 9 by Apple.

Last edited:
I agree. The Apogee Mic is great. I use it with Focustire's Tape app for mobile recording.

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but I thought it might help for your recording setup query...

I have just posted a video tutorial for how to simulate a live stereo sound from a mono recording, that uses my aforementioned Apogee MIC, and thought that you might like to hear the sound sample, as well as possibly see the software tutorial.

While this recording was not made on an iPad, but WAS MADE with the Apogee MIC attached to a desktop computer, running Linux, and then recorded into the free audio program Audacity, the sound quality is still excellent, however YouTube has mangled it a little, but this should give you an idea.

It is here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-EASY-simulated-stereo-from-a-mono-audio-file

[...]
Also, I can confirm that the Apogee products work with the older 30-pin iOS connector as well as the Lightning connector (new since the iPhone 4), and with the USB cable, I can confirm that both products work with Ardour, Jokosher, oCenaudio, and Audacity on Xubuntu Linux, and all programs that I've tried on Mac OSX and iOS (way to many to list), but I don't know first-hand if they work in Windows, since I'll never touch Windows again, but I read that some folks have tried them on Windows.

This wide compatibility is due to the hardware being USB-Audio 'Class-Compliant' which means it needs no drivers, and should work on basically any hardware/operating-system without issues.[...]

Booli, thanks for the info regarding the Apogee Jam and Linux. I'm a Linux user who also uses an iPad and iPhone. It's nice to have some confirmation that these Apogee devices will work well with both operating systems (Linux and iOS).

I've got several ukes now with nice pickups and it would be more convenient to record into a smaller device like the iPad or iPhone rather than the USB recording interface attached to my desktop computer.

For those of you recording with ukes that have pickups, are you playing from your amp into an external mic, or is there a way to plug directly from pickup into an iPad or desktop?

For those of you recording with ukes that have pickups, are you playing from your amp into an external mic, or is there a way to plug directly from pickup into an iPad or desktop?

As Booli mentioned, Apogee makes an excellent direct interface called the Jam (or Jam96k) which allows you to directly connect your instrument pickup to whatever software you choose. There are other similar interfaces for iPad, but I consider the Jam to be superior for sound quality and value. it has the same wide compatibility as the Apogee MiC we mentioned earlier.

I have tried it with Garage Band, LoopyHd, Jamup Pro, and other apps via Audiobus and it works great. I believe it offers the best value and widest compatibility compared to other similar interfaces.

Booli, thanks for the info regarding the Apogee Jam and Linux. I'm a Linux user who also uses an iPad and iPhone. It's nice to have some confirmation that these Apogee devices will work well with both operating systems (Linux and iOS).

I've got several ukes now with nice pickups and it would be more convenient to record into a smaller device like the iPad or iPhone rather than the USB recording interface attached to my desktop computer.

No problem. :)

I have found via hands-on experience, and seen other folks confirm online that most USB audio devices that work with a Mac OSX will ALSO work with Linux, out of the box with no drivers, due to a USB standard called 'Class-Compliant'.

This might be a bit of a tangent to the original topic, but please indulge me this moment to geek-out...and provide a deeper explanation within my own experience...

'Class-Compliant' USB devices are part of the reference specification from the USB Foundation Standards Committee, for which I cant find the web site at the moment to provide a link.

I was a Windows (and DOS) user (since 1985) but switched to Mac OSX in 2005. (I have also worked in Microsoft-focused corporate IT environment since 1989 as a certified systems and network engineer, and since 2002 been implementing Linux and since 2005 implementing Mac OSX solutions where necessary/possible).

I have kept OSX for some music apps that I run on a Mac Mini, but am now using Xubuntu Linux on my main computer because Apple did not offer hardware that made sense to me at a reasonable price - (back in Dec'14, I built my own 8-core 3.5 ghz AMD-powered mid-tower system with 32GB of RAM and 4x 2TB hard drives for less than $900 [courtesy to newegg.com for some crazy sales]). Before anyone suggests it, not going back to Windows again. Microsoft is too evil for me.

The earliest versions of MAC OSX (circa 2000/1) , and Linux since (circa 2005) Class-Compliant USB drivers have been the default as various 'kernel extensions', that are included with the operating system.

This means that the hardware manufacturer can make a device that conforms to the spec and it will work as a generic device of the given type, and then they can offer their own regular software program to act as a 'controller' for any specific configurations to the device. The installation of said program is optional for the end user, but not required for basic functionality of said device.

BTW: This is in fact quite different from hardware 'drivers' and their control-interface within the driver itself (Mostly for Windows devices), but please keep in mind that the subtlety of this distinction is not readily apparent to the average computer user.

I switched my main desktop to Ubuntu (Xubuntu) Linux in Dec'14 and have been pleasantly surprised with how many devices still work on it that I used to use with Mac OSX.

Almost all 'Mac' USB devices work on Xubuntu, and only about half of the Firewire audio devices work due to the device having both hardware and software implementations being proprietary, the most disappointing is my Tascam 1804 interface, but I can still use it on OSX, so it's not a total loss. FYI- Firewire hard drives work fine though - 'Mass Storage' seems to be the most compatible common denominator across Mac, Windows and Linux systems.

Also to mention, the reason that many devices can work on both Mac OSX and your iOS device (i.e. iPhone/iPod/iPad) is because iOS also implements the USB 'Class-Compliant' reference spec in both the hardware and software implementation, which is great because you can use many devices that are USB with iOS, even if they are not listed as iOS-compatible, provided they are connected with either the 'Camera Connection Kit' (30-pin dock connector to female USB host adapter) or the Lightning to USB adapter, and your peripheral does not ask for more than 500mA of power from the iOS device, (then you need to use a powered USB hub, which can provide the juice for your peripheral - one such use-case is for the Blue Microphones YETI USB condenser mic, which WILL work with iOS only IF you use a USB hub to provide the power it requires).

Feel free to chastise me via PM if I've driven this thread off the rails, and for which I apologize in advance. :shaka:

As Booli mentioned, Apogee makes an excellent direct interface called the Jam (or Jam96k) which allows you to directly connect your instrument pickup to whatever software you choose. There are other similar interfaces for iPad, but I consider the Jam to be superior for sound quality and value. it has the same wide compatibility as the Apogee MiC we mentioned earlier.

Yes, the 'original' Apogee Jam and newer Jam96k (which replaced it) both allow you to use a regular guitar cable to plug in your instrument, whether it be pickup-equipped ukulele, guitar, keyboard, or even a Theremin if you want...

I have tried it with Garage Band, LoopyHd, Jamup Pro, and other apps via Audiobus and it works great. I believe it offers the best value and widest compatibility compared to other similar interfaces.

as an aside:

I like LoopyHD a lot, but not sure how to use it effectively, but it's cool to play with...

If you like JamUP Pro, their app Final Touch is great for adding that extra polish when you are done with your project in GarageBand...and also there is an app called ToneStack that is similar and sounds great while being easy to use that I got on sale last month when they included all of the in-app purchases as a promo for only $10 for the whole shebang...(tried Amplitube and others but did not like them as much and removed them afterward)

Also, I've messing with JAMORIGIN's MIDI Guitar app ($19 iOS, $99 for OSX)) which works great with the Apogee JAM, and the app lets you control soft-synths via MIDI by whatever instrument you want, without requiring a special MIDI pickup ON that instrument. E.g., PLAY your ukulele, and have the SOUND of a violin or whatever you want - I only tested it with Garageband, but it outputs Core-MIDI so should work with other apps. I plan to test it with the Korg iM1, which is a software implementation of their legendary 1990's M1 synth.

For me, directly from amplifier, through the air, into my iPad microphone.

The only problem with doing this is that if you have background noise such as a fan or A/C unit in the summer when it's 95 degrees and 55% humidity (yes, in NJ), that these sounds can interfere with getting a clean recording. Otherwise, the mics that are built-in to current and even previous iOS devices actually do a very nice job of recording your music with good fidelity to the original 'acoustic' sound.

If you don’t have to contend with background noise, you might be able to get by, or otherwise shut everything off and deal with the unpleasant heat and moisture. But keep in mind that mitigating background noise while recording is still a major issue, regardless of what kind of microphone you might use...

Also, I've even recorded a few live performances (yes, bootlegged, for my own personal use, shhh, don't tell anyone :)) with my 4th-gen iPod touch (and no add-on hardware) and was quite impressed with the results. Apple has definitely put some good engineering into these products.

I really have no interest in becoming a recording engineer, but I would like to be able to record myself playing and singing, just for fun. So, based on the recommendations in this thread, I bought an Apogee mic. It's still in the box, but I'm hoping to get to it today. I'll be using it with my iPad Air 2. Since I'm an absolute beginner insofar as recording goes, I should be an interesting test case. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to just use the built-in mic for now, because I don't have the money for the Apogee and I don't like getting the wrong stuff. I have a godin amped, so as it goes through the air and it should be pretty good, other than my terrible playing :) I guess my next question is, once I have something in Loopy that I'm interested in, it sounds like I should be going with GarageBand to continue to work with the recording?

The apogee jam seems like a pretty decent deal to record from pickup directly into iPad, and you won't have to deal with background noise.

Top Bottom