PDA

View Full Version : Double Whammy Nuke Day

Hippie Dribble
08-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Two birds with one almighty stone.

Over the weekend a Collings UC2K and a Mya Moe tenor arrived in the hermit cave. Just lovely, beautiful instruments. Both have great feel and the tone is everything and more I was hoping for.

I trust these gorgeous things will keep the wolves at bay and inspire and motivate me to take my playing to a new level; to focus less on buying and more on learning.

Hippie Dribble
08-09-2015, 04:26 PM

Doc_J
08-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Wow. What a great set of concerts. The two should cover warm and bright tones. Congrats.
Beautiful wood. Is that curly maple & mango on the Mya-Moe?

Can't wait to hear you play them

Camsuke
08-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Congratulations Jon, absolutely beautiful instruments mate!

mm stan
08-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Aloha Jon, Congratulations, looking great mate your dynamic duo.. happy strummings

Ukulele Eddie
08-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Fantastic! Now THAT is how to do a double NUD! Enjoy!

caspet
08-09-2015, 05:28 PM
If that Collings is this Collings it sounds very fine indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG44qSatUZE

UkerDanno
08-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Gorgeous Collings!

Hippie Dribble
08-09-2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks a lot fellas.

Hodge, the MM is actually a tenor mate. It's #1830. The top is a straight grained redwood and yeah, curly, spalted maple b & s.

The tenor is surprisingly warm. Incredibly sweet and rich sound. I couldn't help order this because every redwood topped uke I seemed to have heard has sounded wonderful to me so I sorta wanted to experience one for myself. Very pleased I did. As to the Collings, I've played a number of these in the past and I adore everything about their 2 model concerts. This one will be staying the duration.

Ukulele Eddie
08-09-2015, 06:29 PM
...As to the Collings, I've played a number of these in the past and I adore everything about their 2 model concerts. This one will be staying the duration.

High on my list of to-be added ukes, is a Collings concert koa, particularly with the sunburst finish. :drool:

Steedy
08-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Congrats on an absolutely gorgeous pair of new ukes. The Collings sounds amazing and I'm sure the MM does too! :shaka:

Strumdaddy
08-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Wow!!! Great new babies...
...and one is a tenor! I know that you have flirted with the big (ish) fella before. Will be very interested in how that size sits with you now.
I'm sure they are both thrilled to be in your hands.
The Journey continues....

Jeffelele
08-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Probably 50% of all ukulele videos I watch are yours. Always leave a thumbs-up. The only thing I would ask to change is that you provide a little info or just the name of each of the uke's you play. I was glad to see you did it on this.

Liked the shot of you walking in the opening.

Jeff

consitter
08-09-2015, 08:25 PM
They're beautiful Jon!

And for you to be inspired to play any better?? Pffft....you playing is pro level now!

mds725
08-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Congratulations, Jon! They're both beautiful. I've always liked my own Mya-Moe tenor (myrtle), and Mya-Moes do have a unique and rich voice. I'm looking forward to all the videos you're going to make and post with them!

Hippie Dribble
08-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks Eddie, Steedy, Karl, Jeff, Scott and Mark.

Yeah, had some issues trying to play tenors in the past. The hands and heart seem much more receptive to this one so far. Dipped my toe in the water with a quick demo just now.

EDIT TO ADD: I removed this video and recorded a better one this afternoon - inside and less competition - on post #33

TheBathBird
08-09-2015, 10:46 PM
Gorgeous ukes, Jon, that Mya Moe sounds fabulous. And great playing, as always :)

Rakelele
08-09-2015, 11:10 PM
Congratulations on a great pair! Hope that they will keep satisfying you.

DownUpDave
08-10-2015, 12:58 AM
Thanks a lot fellas.

Hodge, the MM is actually a tenor mate. It's #1830. The top is a straight grained redwood and yeah, curly, spalted maple b & s.

The tenor is surprisingly warm. Incredibly sweet and rich sound. I couldn't help order this because every redwood topped uke I seemed to have heard has sounded wonderful to me so I sorta wanted to experience one for myself. Very pleased I did. As to the Collings, I've played a number of these in the past and I adore everything about their 2 model concerts. This one will be staying the duration.

So you are the fella that bought that Mya Moe before me :p I saw the demo video and I was in love with the wood combo and the sound. I seriously comsidered buying it but my LfdM will be ready soon. Still I was sooooo temtped and more than a little sad when I saw it was gone. I am really glad you are the one that bought it, you make it sing, love the video you just put up.

The Collings, as you say is a great instrument and a great stable mate for the MM. Congratulations Jon and a huge double score. They are beautiful to look at and listen to.

mkatz
08-10-2015, 01:20 AM
Congratulations Jon, they are both beautiful!

Mitch

hollisdwyer
08-10-2015, 02:02 AM
A pair of wonderful instruments on the same day. Your cup of joy must be overflowing Jon.

Doc_J
08-10-2015, 02:22 AM
Thanks a lot fellas.

Enjoyed the sound sample. Thanks. Your new MyaMoe tenor sounds just as you described it, sweet, warm, rich. Quite a few of the well experienced builders prefer redwood tops for their ukes. I was told it gives a warm color to a builder's tone. If I was only going to have 2 ukes, one would be all Koa and one would have a redwood top. Congrats again.

Tootler
08-10-2015, 03:39 AM
That MM sounds terrific, Jon.

How have you tuned it? Is it GCEA or have you tuned down. High or low 4th string?

Just curious. I like to tune my tenors down. It brings out their tonal qualities better in my view.

BillM
08-10-2015, 03:52 AM
Wow! And, wow! Very nice, Jon.

Bill

Nickie
08-10-2015, 04:07 AM
Holy cow! Very nice, congratulations! Nice job playing them too....

Hippie Dribble
08-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Y'all are so sweet. Thanks for sharing in the joy with me.

Dave: sorry to whip her out from under your feet, mate. Maybe we can do a trade one day!

Hodge: It's interesting Hodge. You know I've come to feel the same about koa. For years I sort of rebelled against it (for no other reason really than to be different), preferring to try more experimental woods. But nearly 10 years down the track I've come to love it perhaps more than any other - notwithstanding my conversion to the wonders of redwood tops. Of the 7 instruments I have I'm amazed to say that 5 of them have koa bodies. 2 have maple.

Geoff: for the purposes of this demo, and because most folks are familiar with C6 tuning, I had it tuned in standard GCEA. Last night I dialled it back to B which sounded fabulous and then a little further to Bb which also sounded great and breathed even more warmth and oxygen into the sound. This currently has a high G and I'll keep it that way, as I have already found what to me is the perfect low G string configuration (aquila red w/worth browns) and tone in my Ono concert.

Thanks again everybody. Looking forward to the next stage of the journey.

Jim Hanks
08-10-2015, 02:16 PM
I trust these gorgeous things will keep the wolves at bay and inspire and motivate me to take my playing to a new level; to focus less on buying and more on learning
Very nice Jon! Good luck with that last bit. :p

turtledrum
08-10-2015, 02:24 PM
They are stunning! Bet you'll be very pleased with playing those! Best to you, Hippie!

keod
08-10-2015, 02:52 PM
So happy for you Jon. You deserve these beautiful instruments and we get to see some wonderful performances to which we can aspire o..........thanks mate.

Recstar24
08-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Was contemplating changing my current custom build MM from a spruce to redwood top...listening to your video just sealed the deal ;) pleasure as always to listen to you plan, the MM tenors don't feel large or bulky at all and my Myrtle MM was a great way for me to dive into the tenor world from concert. Keep on playing brother.

Hippie Dribble
08-10-2015, 03:36 PM
Very nice Jon! Good luck with that last bit. :p

Brother, dost thou know'st me better than I know mine own self? :p

Hippie Dribble
08-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Was contemplating changing my current custom build MM from a spruce to redwood top...listening to your video just sealed the deal ;) pleasure as always to listen to you plan, the MM tenors don't feel large or bulky at all and my Myrtle MM was a great way for me to dive into the tenor world from concert. Keep on playing brother.
Thanks turtle, keod and Ryan.

Glad to hear Ryan. I think you'll adore it mate. And yeah, I agree brother, the MM tenor bodies aren't too big are they. Very comfortable.

Hippie Dribble
08-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Better sound demo (ie - not outside in front of council workers). :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFbF9kW-xno

DownUpDave
08-11-2015, 12:55 AM
Brother oh brother that was some kick ass playing. I am never going to be able to buy that off of you now, the two of you are already bonding.

You should send that video to Mya Moe. That compilation of music would sell them a pile of ukes. That sounded so good Jon, I am seriously jealous. Well done mate :cool:

Dan Uke
08-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Very clean playing Jon! You are adept in many different genres!