Best Ukulele pickup for outdoor performance

Mooserman40

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the forum so forgive me for any of my ignorance! I'll cut straight to it. I'm in a unique situation. I'm in highschool and this year in the marching band show I'm going to have a ukulele solo! The problem is, I'm not quite sure what the best way to amplify my uke is. Should I mic it? Or have a pickup installed? I would really like to avoid installing an under the saddle pickup, due to difficulty. So if it's gonna be a pickup I would rather it be a soundboard transducer. Any advice out there? I've read that a passive transducer pickup would require a pre-amp. I would be plugging directly into a sound board, so would a pre-amp be nessecary? Would micing be the best way to go? Also, would the stadium lights interfere with anything? Thanks for the input and please forgive my ignorance!

Hi Mooserman40,

Welcome to UU!

If you don’t want to modify your uke, the simplest way is to have a mic on a stand in front of you, and play into that mic.

Most standard 'vocal' mics will do fine since the frequency range of the ukulele is actually within the same range of the human singing voice. You want to make sure to use a 'cardioid' or similar mic which simply means that it is MOST sensitive right in front of the mic, and less sensitive on the sides and back, as opposed to an OMNI-directional mic which picks up sound in 360 degrees, and will have issues with feedback that need to be dealt with. Popular examples of such cardioid mics are like the Shure SM58, PG48, etc and SM57, PG47 etc.

The main downside of a mic is that you cannot move around otherwise you will be away from the sweet spot of the mic picking you up, and you will not be heard through the PA.

If you don’t mind standing in place when you play, the least expensive and least complicated solution is to have whomever is running the PA sound system for the marching band, provide you with such a mic, on an adjustable stand, and to be able to do a sound-check so that the sound-guy can set your levels properly.

Otherwise, to install MANY under-saddle pickups (UST), passive or active, they require 2 or 3 holes to be drilled for installation and 'that's it'...

If you have a standard passive 'rod' piezo UST with an endpin jack, you can get them at places like http://cbgitty.com for as low as $17, and it requires only 2 holes, and NO SOLDERING.

You can see this item here:

http://www.cbgitty.com/cigar-box-gu...zo-endpin-jack-harness-no-soldering-required/

The installation is similar to the Mi-Si below, but with only 1 hole required in the saddle slot, and you can either have the slot routed deeper (as in the Uke Minute video below) or shave the saddle itself down to accommodate the 2-3mm increase in height from the pickup element, otherwise your action might be too high, and your intonation will change (usually for the worse).

If you have an active 'ribbon' piezo UST such as the Mi-Si Acoustic Trio (which does not require batteries, but has a rechargeable capacitor), or the LR Baggs Five.0 (which uses a CR2032 battery), your installation will in fact require 3 holes for proper installation.

See the video below for an example of the Mi-Si installation process:

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2009/11/uke-minutes-69-how-to-install-an-ukulele-pickup/

The LR Baggs is similar for how to properly install it.

Note that both of these pickups have a preamp. Without a preamp, any piezo pickup, whether surface transducer or under-saddle transducer, is going to sound tinny and 'quacky', and have a lower volume output due to a problem that is called 'impedance mismatch', which is typically corrected when using a proper preamp.

Impedance matching can be a long subject, so I wont go into detail now, but you can search wikipedia for info...

However for a passive piezo, MANY folks here on UU have had great success with an EXTERNAL preamp made by Behringer, in the ADI-21 model (~$30), as seen here:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/ADI21.aspx

There are TONS of videos of the Behringer on YouTube showing how it works, and the advantage of an external preamp is that you can use it on another instrument, for example if you get another uke later on, no need for a preamp to be installed, since you already have the ADI-21...

Also, while a surface transducer is useful too, many folks do not like the fact that they also pickup ALL the surface handling noise of the instrument, NOT just the strings, every tap, knock, scratch, moving against your body is picked up by surface transducers, and even with a preamp, feedback tends to be a problem. There are ways to mitigate feedback, but it adds some complexity to your setup, and there are ways to mitigate the surface handling noise, but this requires a strict discipline in adjusting your playing technique.

While this is a review for a different instrument, an example of the surface noise can be seen in this video by fellow UU brother BazMaz, which I've indexed to start @ 6:34 where he demonstrates how the pickup sounds and shows the surface noise:

https://youtu.be/BFFVtiEAdDg?t=6m34s

Here is another helpful link for a video done by Hawaii Music Supply where they compare 5 different ukulele pickups:

https://vimeo.com/63940107

This might give you an idea of the sound difference (best to listen with headphones).

I might have missed something, but hopefully this will be enough info to get you started in the right direction.

You can alse use the search function here for the words 'pickup', 'preamp', behringer' (without the quotes) and you will find lots of previous discussions on these topics...for which there is no one 'perfect' answer -- Just opinions on what folks like for themselves.

If you need more info, please ask, as many folks here on UU have been down this same path and are typically willing to offer help and advice.

-Booli

Last edited:
I agree with Booli's first idea of a cardioid mic on a stand.

That's AWESOME! Congratulations on the solo! I tried to play ukulele in my high school jazz band, but the teacher didn't think enough of the instrument. (Jokes on him!)

What sort of ukulele do you own? Are you going to be standing on a platform?

That's AWESOME! Congratulations on the solo! I tried to play ukulele in my high school jazz band, but the teacher didn't think enough of the instrument. (Jokes on him!)

What sort of ukulele do you own? Are you going to be standing on a platform?

Well I play guitar for my schools jazz band! But I play a Kala KA-TG and I know there is going to be a platform, I just don't know if I will be on it! (I'm actually playing along to someone else in the band who is gonna be singing)

But back to amplification!! I talked to my band director and he liked the mic idea!!!! Now could anybody recommended an affordable but good mic??

But back to amplification!! I talked to my band director and he liked the mic idea!!!! Now could anybody recommended an affordable but good mic??

Doesn't the school have a PA system, and thus a mic they can setup for you?

If not, are you planning to buy a mic for yourself, or is this info to be used for the school to buy a mic (which becomes their property)?

Well I play guitar for my schools jazz band! But I play a Kala KA-TG and I know there is going to be a platform, I just don't know if I will be on it! (I'm actually playing along to someone else in the band who is gonna be singing)

If she is going to be singing, do they not provide a mic for her?

If so, can they also provide another of the same mic, as an additional mic for you?

Doesn't the school have a PA system, and thus a mic they can setup for you?

If not, are you planning to buy a mic for yourself, or is this info to be used for the school to buy a mic (which becomes their property)?

Yes the school does have a PA system! And I am using this info for the school! They will be purchasing the mic and it will be there property! My band director just left it up to me to find the most appropriate type of mic for my uke! But as of now the only mics the school has are just standard mics like you would sing in. Would I just be better off using one of those?

Yes the school does have a PA system! And I am using this info for the school! They will be purchasing the mic and it will be there property! My band director just left it up to me to find the most appropriate type of mic for my uke! But as of now the only mics the school has are just standard mics like you would sing in. Would I just be better off using one of those?

Maybe you can test the mic and PA that the school already has, and see if that will work for you and if you like the sound.

Otherwise, there are decent mics you can buy starting at around $15 for a no-name off-brand (made in Asia somewhere), to a $19 Behringer 8500, to a $35 Shure PG48, $99 Shure SM58, $89 Blue Microphones Encore 100i (buy one, get one free from Sweetwater below), $129 Electro-Voice N/D-767a, and there is no limit in price after that.

All of these will 'work', but longevity is a factor in the cheaper models as they seem to not be as rugged and well-built as the more expensive models. If you need to buy a mic, get one with an XLR connector as this will let you use XLR 'balanced' cables, which is better for longer cable runs, reduces hum, and can also sometimes sound better than an 'unbalanced' 1/4" cable.

You might want to look at the sections for dynamic cardioid vocal microphones on Sweetwater and B&H:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c375--Dynamic_Microphones/low2high/all

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...40&setNs=p_PRICE_2|0&N=3992462056&srtclk=sort

I got the 2-for-1 on the Blue Encore 100 (vocal mic), and it's a great deal. If the 100i is as good, you could get those two for $90 and be a hero to your band, band director, school financial watchdog, and maybe an attractive math-aware classmate. I have used my 100 to mic a uke, and it sounded good to me, but I usually use a pickup and I know about one-millionth (actually less) about sound and such as Booli (who mentioned the 100i), and I assume that the 100i would be more appropriate for you.

A mic does always sound best, though you'll need to hold still.

I recently installed the K & K aloha pickup in my tenor, and it is without a doubt the best acoustic pickup I've used on anything, possibly ever. You really do need to use the preamp that comes with it for best results. Most pickup preamps want to see about 10K across the input, while the the K & K has only about 6K or so across. Best acoustic sound I've found. I've heard it's a bit tempermental at really high volumes. Being a transducer-style pickup, it essentially turns the whole top of the instrument into an amplified plane, so it makes sense that that would be the case. For any kind of club gig though, this thing is really great.
I'll be getting a myers "clip mic" style pickup for my tahitian uke, banjo, cuatro & charango use, and would be happy to report back after a few gigs if you're interested.

Top Bottom