Kamaka Tenor tunners

Reaction score
Good evening all.

I just picked up this baby today. When I got home I noticed one of the tunners is not working, precisely the different color string (G string).

Can anyone say what tunners these are? The uke is a white label.

I'm in Oahu till Thursday. While I'm here, should I replace the tunners? Or ask anyone to fix/install something?

Thank you

PS: my apologies for not putting this thread in the exact place; I just figured more people would browse this section; I'm also here for just a few more days so if I could have a quicker answer would be great. Thx again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 35
They look like Champion Juniors.
If you are not used to friction tuners - research them on the net. They are very simple devices (mechanically), and although they can wear out, I'd be making sure it's not just an adjustment that is needed.
Tighten the screw until there is some resistance, see if it holds the string under tension - if not tighten a bit more until string doesn't slip, but there is enough movement of the tuner for string to be tightened or loosened.
Tuners can be taken off and cleaned etc. too
If - in fact the tuner is "cactus', then it would be easy to get equivalent replacements by post, so you don't have to be too concerned

I was planning on going on the tour on Thursday. Would they sell replacement parts? I was there 4 years ago just visiting. They used to have seconds but I heard they don't have them anymore. Not sure about parts etc.

Do you happen to know? Thx again

While you're there I guess you can check, maybe they'll adjust it for you! Probably just needs adjusted.

Just call them, surely they have all the answers to your questions. I would call even before I went. You may probably may be able to leave it there if need be and they can ship it back to you when work is complete.

Kamaka has replacement tuners, but I'm sure yours may be fine, as previous said, tighten the screw if there is slippage, I don't think they the tuners are original to your kamaka though, more probally for vintage Martins.
If you want factory originals or newer tuners this is the time to get them, it's whether you want your original
Correct or updated newer tuners from them.

Last edited:
get ahold of Andrew or Zach at HMS(The Ukulele Site)...I would replace the tuners with Gotoh UPTL tuners(these are standard on Kamaka ukes nowadays).......but keep the tuners you have now....if you take it to the warehouse in Wahiawa they may be able to change the tuners for you in a few days....

Very good advice ... I like the Gotoh UPTL the best ... smooth and easy to work with.

And they are geared not friction tuners but they have a vintage friction look. So, I agree if you want to play it with hassle free tuning, get the newer Gotoh's like the ones they install on new Kamaka's now.

Agree with getting the Gotoh's. Perfect timing.

Just got the Gotoh UPT installed by Joel. Awesome to deal with. All done. :) thx everyone

Top Bottom