Kala KA-ATP-CTG-CE

terrgy

Reaction score
Took delivery this morning on a Kala tenor cutaway cedar, $369.00, from MIMs Ukes.

This is a huge step up for me, as my two others cost around $100.00 each. While I can't compare it to $500.00 and above ukes, this uke is absolutely beautiful. It seems to be perfectly made, no flaws, and sounds even better. Easy to chord, low action, and the built in tuner and pickup work perfectly.

This is one purchase I am extremely pleased after the sale. I don't know if I can even stop playing it. Gotta take a break sometime. Well, I guess I already have, as I as posting this thread.

One of the most important and injoyable thing about this purchase was purchasing this instrument was my experience with MIMS Ukes. Oh my my my, what a wonderful lady to to business. She does service the old fashioned way, treat your customer right and you will be rewarded. It is very doubtful I will ever purchase another uke from anyone but Mims.

If you would like to see specs, and ads and photos for this uke, just type in the title, or Kala Tenor Cutaway cedar with build in pickup. There you go.
MIMS doesn't have this one advertised on her site yet, she just got her shipment in, and send me mine the day she received her order. At this point you would have to call her, and the number is on her web site.

Anyways, it's all wonderfully good. It's been a very happy day.

Terry

Congrats! Glad you love it. Yes, MIMS is a very special lady in many ways.

That's the same uke Mim recommended to me, it's the best sounding and playing uke I have, including a custom for $780. Mim's setup is one of the main things that makes it play so well.

Hey, all good news from you guys. Thanks a lot. Mike, I believe you are correct, it looks just like one your uke.

I set down to play for 30 min. this afternoon, and ended up playing it an hour and a half. It sure has a beautiful had stock.

It is starting to stay in tune a little more each time I play it. I figure in a week or so it'll stay in tune most always.

Yeah, I have the same Kala model as well, and it still gets almost as much playing time as my Breedlove Masterclass. Have never once regretted that purchase (neither, jaja)!

I have the acoustic tenor version of this uke and I love it. I chose it based on all the great reviews here. I can see myself getting the cutaway tenor at some point.

Kala makes some very good ukes at a reasonable price point. My similar cedar/koa Kala tenor gets a lot of play and sounds great.

What has amazed me about this Kala tenor cutaway is how much volume it produces, when not connected to an amp. I guess one would call it acoustic volume.

Prior to purchasing, I read a few reviewers wrote of the "low volume". So I expected low volume. Not the case. It's plenty loud enough.

I own a lower cost Kala tenor KAA15-T, a Cordoba UP100 Concert, and a Lanikai LU-21B Baritone. The only one that comes close to the volume is the Baritone.

Very pleased and extremely happy.

Congratulations to all others who own one of these ukes. In my humble beginners estimation, I believe we all made a wise decision.

Best Regards

Last edited:
Congrats! My Kala from Mim is still my favorite uke. I've had it a lot longer than any other uke. It will probably be cremated with my remains when I kick the bucket.

Congrats! My Kala from Mim is still my favorite uke. I've had it a lot longer than any other uke. It will probably be cremated with my remains when I kick the bucket.

Thank you Nickie. I am enjoying it very much.
One thing that I am having to adjust, is the thicker fret board. A little harder to chord, than what I am used to.
But I won't be sending it back, I promise you.
Very happy.

I've got a similar one, but appreciate the more normal sized neck. I ran across another two of these at a music store recently, and they toppled everything but the K-brand uke costing 1200.

Funny thing happening with this Kala uke. Up to this point I've always played with a felt pick. I am a strummer.
But this uke sounds so good I've leaving my pick in my pocket and strumming with fingers. My ears are telling me the sound is purer.
Not trying to open up a cache of worms, just a new revelation, with this latest purchase.

Funny thing happening with this Kala uke. Up to this point I've always played with a felt pick. I am a strummer.
But this uke sounds so good I've leaving my pick in my pocket and strumming with fingers. My ears are telling me the sound is purer.
Not trying to open up a cache of worms, just a new revelation, with this latest purchase.

Yeah, this is happeninhg to me, which has broadened by uking quite a bit. I think folks should buy one of these before they get discontinued.

Tergy, I did find my Kala's neck to be too thick, so I hustled it on down to my favorite luthier, showed him a neck I like, and asked him to make it nice. He did, and I don't regret it at all.

Tergy, I did find my Kala's neck to be too thick, so I hustled it on down to my favorite luthier, showed him a neck I like, and asked him to make it nice. He did, and I don't regret it at all.

Hi Nickie
That is interesting. I don't know a lithier, but I imagine someone at a local music store could help me find one.

If you don't mind, please tell me what I could expect to pay.

Thanks
Terry

Hi Nickie
That is interesting. I don't know a lithier, but I imagine someone at a local music store could help me find one.

If you don't mind, please tell me what I could expect to pay.

Thanks
Terry

Update: After playing it for an hour or so yesterday,okay with everything.

Congrats on the new uke! Glad you love it. Agreed that Mim does an awesome job.

Glad you got used to each other! (I paid $40 to have the neck redone, it was money well spent)

I was at my local music shop today considering the purchase of a Martin ukulele. The acoustic room where the ukuleles are kept was relatively quiet so I Had some extra time to play several ukuleles. I make it no secret that I have favored Kala since buying my ASAC-T model, and today I the chance to play the model that is the subject of this thread, the KA-ATP-CTG-CE. This one was a well played floor model that had a few dings and scratches, but it succeeded in keeping me from buy the Martin ukulele That I was there to check out to possibly purchase. The store didn't have any other Kala KA-ATP-CTG-CE models in stock, so I left empty handed. After reading this thread after a quick search and the praise posted for both the uke and Mim's, I checked out Mim's website and found she had a KA-ATP-CTG-CE in stock. I never ordered anything from Mim's before, but after reading through this thread I am looking forward to a great purchase experience. I'l be sure to update the thread with some pics and a sound link when it arrives... Next up, I'll be looking for a small portable amp to use.

Top Bottom