Got Jake's entire 3/13 show on video.....OK to post?

ukulelefatman

Reaction score
Just wondering....I had front row center at Jakes show and got it all on video, a great quality DVD which has been edited and polished by my video geek nephew.
I was wondering, does Jake object to that sort of thing being posted on the web?
It's practically the entire new live album....not officially released yet.

I don't want to post it if I'm going to step on any toes.

Maybe Rayan or Aldrine could give their thoughts (by the way, I told Jake you guys said hello!!)

Awesome show.

Eric

Shoot, just realized I got the date wrong in the thread title......could a mod please change the 3/15 to 3/13.....oops

Last edited:
Just wondering....I had front row center at Jakes show and got it all on video, a great quality DVD which has been edited and polished by my video geek nephew.
I was wondering, does Jake object to that sort of thing being posted on the web?
It's practically the entire new live album....not officially released yet.

I don't want to post it if I'm going to step on any toes.

Maybe Rayan or Aldrine could give their thoughts (by the way, I told Jake you guys said hello!!)

Awesome show.

Eric

You could always just send it to me. :shaka:

Well, I don't know if it's Okay to post on Youtube, but if it happens to get posted to rapid share or some other equivalent site by someone...I wouldn't mind if a little birdie PMed me the link. :p

imho, as much as i would like to see it, it's not worth the potential hassle. i believe the performer still holds "broadcasting rights" even if you filmed it.

This usually depends on if he requested noone to film this performance before he began. I know he usually doesn't care but his management can sometimes not like it.

It is kind of a questionable call. Now adays there two types of acts when it comes to this issue. Some will fight to the end to keep their shows out of free viewing/listening. And others perfer sharing the experince thus introducing more people to their music/show and creating more fans. It pertains more to audio recordings, that I know of, but their are portions of live shows on you tube.

Asking Ryan and Aldrine for advice is fine but I think you should direct your question towards Jake and/or any company that has legal rights to his music/talent.

For what it's worth, there are plenty of footage of Jake's live performances on Youtube. So it appears that they are not out to get those removed yet. Also, Jake always credit the Youtube video of Gently Weeps for changing his life, so I'm guessing he has no problems with the concert footages posted on Youtube. I think it's like free advertising. But then again, it seems that many record companies don't seem to understand that so who knows.

I would love to see it, but I don't know about posting on youtube with all the copyrighted videos that get removed daily, no, more like minutely.

If Sony (Hitchhike Records) put a stop to Dom's Tabs on Jake's arrangements and original tunes, they won't like an entire performance being placed online.

There is a difference between placing a video of one tune online and an entire concert.

Think about this: Most recording artists make between 8 and 11 cents per CD for mechanical royalties for their songs. The highest paid artist ever (for mechanical royalties) was Michael Jackson (about 22 cents). Songwriters get higher royalties than performers. The record companies collect far more money than the artists, especially when they charge $18.99 a CD or more. So, today, the artists are trying to make their money by performances.

So... you go and put an entire show online. That takes money straight from Jake's pocket. His ticket sales could suffer and from ticket sales, he has expenses to cover, as well. If he can't sell enough tickets, then he can't travel and you can't see him "live" on stage.

I would not consider posting anything online if you want to keep Jake performing.

While I respect the view Pippin has expressed, and I agree to an extent, I don't think that need always be the way.

One alternative perspective:

Fans can't get enough of their favourite acts. The fact that a concert video existed on Youtube would NEVER deter me from going to see one of my favourite artists or bands. If anything the video would keep the hunger for the next gig alive!

Also, I am a huge respecter of acts that manage to keep just a little bit of their worldview free of the bread-head thing.

Tim O'Brien and Hayseed Dixie encourage fans recording of their live shows.

From the Hayseed Dixie taping policy on their site:

For fans who have access to the technology, Hayseed Dixie encourages taping at our live shows, and the trading and sharing of these recordings afterwards. Our ONLY stipulation is that said recordings absolutely may not be used for commercial gain - just don't sell them, folks.

(bold emphasis mine)

In the UK, HD's gigs are packed to the rafters.

That kind of attitude builds loyalty and respect. People like that deserve my money for their shows, CDs and DVDs. They deserve my support and my efforts in singing their praises.

Edit to add a link to Tim O'Brien's taping policy: http://www.timobrien.net/tapingpolicy.cfm

Edit one more time to applaud the OP's doing the right thing in asking about the issue rather than just going ahead regardless. I hope you get the permission.

Last edited:
Here is the response from Jake's management....

Aloha Eric,
Thank you very much for contacting us.
We are OK videos are on the web as long as it's NOT an entire concert footage.
A couple of songs from the show is fine.

Please keep that in your mind. I haven't seen the footage that you are talking about on the web yet, but hope you didn't put the whole concert on the web.

Thank you very much for your understanding and support!

Best,

Kaz Flanagan

I wrote back to assure him I hadn't posted anything, and to thank him for his quick reply.

Eric

Kind of a shame they're not happy for the whole thing to go up, but their attitude is fair enough.

Better than many.

That's pretty much what I expected...it strikes a balance between supporting fans and protecting the artist.

Last edited:

I wrote back to assure him I hadn't posted anything, and to thank him for his quick reply.

Eric

Kazusa (Kaz) is a super cool lady. Since Jake doesn't deal with the business side of music, she usually steps in and does it but always keeps Jake's best interests in mind. Back then, their policy was no video at all. They would announce before the show started that video taping the show was not allowed. But I guess down the line, change was inevitable and they allowed it. Videos are bound to leak on the interwebs one way or another.

Take what you can get and post only a select few. Give the people a peek of what they missed out on if they didn't go. Or let them relive the moments if they attended. But respect the management at the same time. I'm glad that you went out and asked permission. My hats off to you sir. Give us the link when you have them up, I'm sure people have been waiting for this "forbidden footage" haha

As for Ryan and I, for our shows we encourage filming as long as they don't start selling it. That's how it all started for us. Videos are the main reason why we get to do what we do in the first place. The more people see the video, the better. That's also a big part of how I learned how to play. I have a secret "Ukulele bible" video of performances from ukulele greats back in the day. From the great Peter Moon to Jake S. So if you come out to any of our shows, your camera is welcome! Just make sure you buy it a ticket hahahaha kiddin.

Top Bottom