Recent experience at my uke shop

Mxyzptik

Reaction score
I recently bought a used kala baritone that was hanging in a thrift shop, it had a knot of the old string pulled up inside the bridge and I couldn't get it out so I took it to the shop I frequent for help.

I thought, well I better take my Collings tenor back to the shop for a visit at the same time. Some might remember that my Collings was a retirement gift from the company that I worked at for 37 years. When I got it, the fellows in the shop were sad to see it go as they all loved to take it down and play it.

So after fixing my baritone I opened up the Collings case and suddenly was very ashamed, I'd forgotten that we had just returned from a camping trip and my uke was filthy and it has several scratch marks from over enthusiastic strumming. It even had a small bit of spruce gum stuck on the back. I immediately apologized for the condition and must say was flattered by their reaction. He explained how he hates to see instruments he has sold come back looking virtually unplayed instead he said, "you've been playing the s** out of this thing , play us something " . So I played my latest offering and without hesitation one grabbed a banjo and joined in. After some remarks about my progress so far and a couple of pointers, they said " please bring it back for a regular visit.
This shop is owned by a family of very talented people who can play anything with strings and I left feeling very encouraged.

Looks like my weekly chores will take a backseat again this week, what a blessing to have found a shop with such encouraging owners.

3021307-inline-fb-thumbsup-printpackaging.jpg

It is cool to have a local music shop that takes an interest in you as a person. I have found such a shop in my hometown and my ukulele journey would not have developed as well without it
Cliff

Love stories like this. The entire retail industry has taken quite a hit with competition from the impersonal internet and it's wonderful to hear that just being in a store with people who care and are giving was such a good experience. Nothing can change that.

You are lucky to have access to such a shop. In my neck of the woods its two big Candian retail chains, each with maybe three cheap ukes and a couple of gnarly entry level mandolins, hanging in the back, behind the electric guitars and amps. Not much to choose from there, nor much understanding or interest in the "quieter side" of things. I too would liek to know the name of the shop, and if I am ever in that part of Alberta, I can check them out.

Please name the shop. They deserve the good PR!

The shop is Myhres Music in Northeast Edmonton, they run very reputable shop and are all extremely talented musicians. They are one of few Collings dealers in the north. They told me a lovely story of Lyle Lovatts most recent stop in Edmonton, I guess because of the Collings connection they get access to backstage or some party and they showed me some pictures and spoke about what a charming man he was, apparently he was extremely kind to the owners Mother. All in all salt of the earth folks !

You are lucky to have access to such a shop. In my neck of the woods its two big Candian retail chains, each with maybe three cheap ukes and a couple of gnarly entry level mandolins, hanging in the back, behind the electric guitars and amps. Not much to choose from there, nor much understanding or interest in the "quieter side" of things. I too would liek to know the name of the shop, and if I am ever in that part of Alberta, I can check them out.

It doesn't seem like they have many high end uses, as I recall my Collings was a one of. The do sell high end guitars, mandolins, violins, upright basses, banjos all that stuff.

Remember when you could walk into a store and be greeted by name. How they remembered previous purchases.
Now its difficult to find a clerk whi is not pretending to be busy. Bristol Music store in Bristol, Ct. is similar to the one mentioned. Will visit next week just to catch up!

Top Bottom