PDA

View Full Version : Injury activities

Pirate Jim
08-12-2015, 10:48 PM
So, I had a ganglion cyst removed from my hand, palm side, last week. (More than happy to post a picture of the sutures but only on request - don't want to break any rules of squeamishness!) It's my fretting hand and I'm looking at around a month before I can play again.

So far, I've been practicing clawhammer strumming with strings muted - does anyone have any other exercises or things to learn that focus solely on the rhythm side of things? I want to make this into a good opportunity to learn/practise rather than a misery of not playing.

VegasGeorge
08-13-2015, 01:21 AM
Sorry to hear about the hand, but it sounds like you've got a good attitude about it. Sure, spend time on various picking patterns. I know I need that kind of practice. It's darn hard to keep the same pattern going for a long time. Good luck with it!

Fleacia
08-13-2015, 05:30 AM
Sorry if this is too elementary - I don't know where your playing level is. But I've found Ralph Shaw's Essential Strums DVD really helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Strums-Ukulele-Ralph-Shaw/dp/B000A2RVUK

If nothing else, it gives lots of possibilities for varying strumming patterns, and some of them really take some right hand coordination - Bo Diddley, anyone?

And I 2nd the picking patterns - Ukulele Mike on Youtube has exercises I like - Travis picking, etc.

Wishing you a quick recovery!

Pirate Jim
08-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Cheers guys, good points - if I could get some different picking patterns down as second nature it would really be a boost.

Ukejenny
08-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Ouch! Hope you have a quick and complete recovery! No right hand advice other than what you've already gotten!

kypfer
08-14-2015, 12:22 PM
You've probably already sussed it, but just in case ... instead of muting the strings for your clawhammer practice, try open tuning (drop the A string one whole tone). You'll get a much better idea of your progress if you can hear the tone of the notes, rather than just the rhythm. It'd be a shame to put in several days/weeks of practice only to find it sounded bad when you unmuted the strings.

Good luck with your recovery :)

Pirate Jim
08-17-2015, 03:17 AM
I hadn't thought to drop the A string at all, had just been muting it! Thanks for that one.

As for thumb independence, that takes me back to my classical guitar days - I'll dig up a few of those exercises and brush up.