Which microphone?

ohmless

Reaction score
Hello all. I love my Risa stick soprano and have been using it plugged into my audio interface while using the guitar rig 5 demo as a virtual amp. I want more distortion available than that offered by the Fishman(though it is a phenomenal product for acoustic sound) and semi-decided to buy a Vox AC4 with the ten inch speaker as it can give a clean tone along with distorted sixties and seventies tones. I am currently saving for this and am thinking about microphones for use with this amp as that will be the following purchase.

Now I don't have a microphone for my audio interface, but only a usb Blue Yeti that won't record loud music like that from an amp as the gain is not adjustable. This puts me in the market for a microphone that I can use with my interface that will work with a loud amp if I turn it up for distortion or overdrive.

I have read great things about both the mics I am interested in, the Shure SM57 dynamic and the Blue Bluebird condenser mic. I know I will be happy with the Bluebird, but it costs triple what the dynamic mic option. I will be getting the Bluebird eventually but still have interest in the SM57. It would get me started much quicker getting the cheaper microphone but will the quality be articulate/full/satisfying?

My main question is: Should I even be bothering to think about the SM57? Does anyone have any videos or experience with this mic when used with an electric uke and this microphone?

thanks in advance for all input.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you are talking about microphones when you have a uke with a pickup, and you're playing into Guitar Rig or an amp, especially if you are wanting overdriven tones. If you really want to play rock/blues, buy a steel string electric uke with a proper pickup, and either play through a combo such as the Vox, or buy an ASIO based audio interface and stick with Guitar Rig, although Peavey Revalver 4 is way ahead of GR5 these days. The main advantage for me with GR5 is the Roland JC120 amp model, which absolutely nails it.

I am using the demo that doesn't let you save settings, costs as much as an amp to buy the full version, and only works for 30 minutes before restarting all over again. Fun to play around with though. I will try to find the roland amp in the settings. I figured for the same price own an amp for cookouts and such. When demoing the Vox amps I was very happy with the tones produced. I don't think I will be missing much using the piezo pickup, but honestly haven't tried it with a tube screamer yet. Another thing about GR5 is that when used in my Ableton Live Lite software it peaks my processor usage too so can't use for recording. No problems with just using it to play with though sans ableton live.

Any recommendations for a steel string uke? I've never seen one.

I assume what you are talking about is using a mic to record from the output of your amp's speaker. If that's what you are doing, you won't go far wrong with a Shure SM57 or SM58.

Obviously you can turn the gain up on your amp to get an overdrive sound, but it might also be worth getting an effects unit, though beware! You lay yourself open to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). Every bit as deadly as UAS :biglaugh:

It's perfectly possible to get the kind of sounds you want with a piezo pickup though the sound may not be quite the same as with steel strings. I put my Risa ukes through effects units and can get a wide variety of sounds no problem. If you do want a steel string uke then Risa make them.

How about this? https://www.ukulele.de/shop4/en/risa-uke-electric-soprano2

or this? https://www.ukulele.de/shop4/en-Tenor-Ukuleles?cat=2&next_page=3

There are some who swear by the Konablaster which are a lot cheaper. I don't know what they are like quality wise but given the quality of the Risa Ukes I have, I suggest the Risa will both be good quality.

Electric ukes are great fun.

I've done a fair bit of ukulele recording, and am always surprised how little frequency response you get from a ukulele. That is, it produces sound in a narrow range, and it's not as high as you'd think. Distortion invariably narrows frequency response. So a distorted ukulele is going to produce a very narrow frequency range, as far as instruments go. An SM57 will be more than adequate to the task. It gives a bit of high mid boost, which might make things sound a bit better or a bit worse, depending on exactly what you're playing.

But as I say, it's a great mic that is more than equal to the job.

I've played my Islander GL6 with MiSi/LR Baggs through Guitar Rig 5 and got some great cranked sounds. I recorded an AC/DC track a while back. The important thing is your interface. Something along the lines of a Behringer UGC102 at the cheap end, or a Focusrite or Presonus audiobox for a few quid more. So long as it had ASIO support, you're laughing. You can't really record via the audio input on a PC without suffering from huge latency.

Obviously you can turn the gain up on your amp to get an overdrive sound, but it might also be worth getting an effects unit, though beware! You lay yourself open to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). Every bit as deadly as UAS :biglaugh:

Yeah I already have the Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Hehe. In the near future getting an amp, a microphone, and decided to get at least three pedals(tube screamer mini, danelectro EQ, and danelectro chorus). This doesn't count the eventual monitor speakers. Also thinking of getting one of these someday maybe! http://www.hayneedle.com/product/schoenhut37keywhiteconcertgrandpiano.cfm

Thanks a ton for the input peeps.

Top Bottom