friction pegs

chuck in ny

Reaction score
anyone have good experience with a brand of inexpensive pegs, otherwise i'll use gotoh UPTs.

edit. grover 4Bs at flea market music.

Last edited:
I had the 4Bs on some Fleas and always liked them. I had PegHeds on a Flea as well, didn't like them because they didn't turn easily - they would kind of stick, the way low quality friction pegs do even though the PegHeds are geared... I didn't understand that and couldn't find a solution. So I removed the PegHeds, not an easy task, and reinstalled the original friction pegs. What we think is an upgrade, isn't always an upgrade. :eek:

thanks for that fleacia. for that kind of money the pegs should work like silk.

thanks for that fleacia. for that kind of money the pegs should work like silk.

I have had Pegheds on several ukes, including one currently, and never had an experience like Fleacia's. I would be curious as to whether others have. Neither advocating for or against them, just saying in my experience, they don't stick.

The standard pegs on my Flea and Fluke work just fine as do those on my Bruko ukuleles. I think as long as you get a reputable brand, you should be fine.

I have had Pegheds on several ukes, including one currently, and never had an experience like Fleacia's. I would be curious as to whether others have. Neither advocating for or against them, just saying in my experience, they don't stick.
just got a uke with them installed. smoother than MOST friction[except Koaloha's] , not as smooth as good geared. pretty long, some PEGS turn easier than others.
IS THERE ANY ADJUSTMENT IN THEM?
I could take them or leave them. IMO they are OK. wouldn't keep me from buying a uke with them installed, wouldn't sell me on it either, and they ain't cheap.

Plenty of very good builders use them extensively (e.g., Collings, Kinnard, Mya-Moe, etc.).

YES, Pegheds are adjustable. Gordon explains it here, so I'll save myself the writing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94q3vk_F1dI

I've never tried pegheds or planitary friction tuners. But I find that my best friction tuners I own have more pieces than the others. I think more little pieces create more opportunities for tiny squeeks and smaller adjustments. That said, I don't have very good luck with the really big Schaller friction tuners that you find on some old Kamakas. The internal spring system seems to create a lot of play before they actually start pulling the string.

I've had very good luck with the $1 a set chinese friction tuners from ebay. The ones with the little piece that fits flat against the back of the head and cups the knob work very well.

Top Bottom