PDA

View Full Version : friction pegs

chuck in ny
08-13-2015, 06:49 AM
anyone have good experience with a brand of inexpensive pegs, otherwise i'll use gotoh UPTs.

edit. grover 4Bs at flea market music.

Fleacia
08-13-2015, 10:41 AM
I had the 4Bs on some Fleas and always liked them. I had PegHeds on a Flea as well, didn't like them because they didn't turn easily - they would kind of stick, the way low quality friction pegs do even though the PegHeds are geared... I didn't understand that and couldn't find a solution. So I removed the PegHeds, not an easy task, and reinstalled the original friction pegs. What we think is an upgrade, isn't always an upgrade. :o

chuck in ny
08-13-2015, 11:10 AM
thanks for that fleacia. for that kind of money the pegs should work like silk.

RichM
08-13-2015, 12:36 PM
thanks for that fleacia. for that kind of money the pegs should work like silk.

I have had Pegheds on several ukes, including one currently, and never had an experience like Fleacia's. I would be curious as to whether others have. Neither advocating for or against them, just saying in my experience, they don't stick.

Tootler
08-13-2015, 12:57 PM
The standard pegs on my Flea and Fluke work just fine as do those on my Bruko ukuleles. I think as long as you get a reputable brand, you should be fine.

strumsilly
08-13-2015, 01:47 PM
I have had Pegheds on several ukes, including one currently, and never had an experience like Fleacia's. I would be curious as to whether others have. Neither advocating for or against them, just saying in my experience, they don't stick.
just got a uke with them installed. smoother than MOST friction[except Koaloha's] , not as smooth as good geared. pretty long, some PEGS turn easier than others.
IS THERE ANY ADJUSTMENT IN THEM?
I could take them or leave them. IMO they are OK. wouldn't keep me from buying a uke with them installed, wouldn't sell me on it either, and they ain't cheap.

Ukulele Eddie
08-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Plenty of very good builders use them extensively (e.g., Collings, Kinnard, Mya-Moe, etc.).

YES, Pegheds are adjustable. Gordon explains it here, so I'll save myself the writing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94q3vk_F1dI

Xtradust
08-14-2015, 06:31 AM
I've never tried pegheds or planitary friction tuners. But I find that my best friction tuners I own have more pieces than the others. I think more little pieces create more opportunities for tiny squeeks and smaller adjustments. That said, I don't have very good luck with the really big Schaller friction tuners that you find on some old Kamakas. The internal spring system seems to create a lot of play before they actually start pulling the string.

I've had very good luck with the $1 a set chinese friction tuners from ebay. The ones with the little piece that fits flat against the back of the head and cups the knob work very well.