PDA

View Full Version : Where did you play your ukelele this summer?

UkAlele
08-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Hi UU,

I thought it would be interesting to see where people had played their ukulele this summer.

Hope you enjoy the video...

Regards

Uk-Al-lele
Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com
https://youtu.be/JYcG9Cp-Du0

k0k0peli
08-13-2015, 08:55 AM
No vids, sorry. Our 'ukes were played (and many obtained) as we journeyed in a wide swath of Great Basin and SouthWest USA. Think of a trapezoid with corners around Lake Tahoe, CA; Durango, CO; Albuquerque, NM; and San Bernardino, CA. We'll have some heavy 'uke session around Lake Tahoe and San Francisco in the coming weeks (it's still summer here). And I regularly sit on the porch of our remote mountain home and serenade the deer, squirrels, wild turkeys, pumas, and brown bears. The deer listen briefly.

turtledrum
08-13-2015, 09:09 AM
I journeyed to Hawaii in June and at the Koaloha factory purchased a pineapple soprano and a Naupaka soprano, both beautiful in appearance and sound. I played them in Waikiki, the Kaanapali Coast of Maui and Mauna Lani on the Kona coast of the Big Island. It was the trip of a lifetime and as I play these ukes here on Long Island now that I am home, I hear the rush of my Hawaiian memories return once more.

actadh
08-13-2015, 09:13 AM
My ukes were played on Lake Erie in Ohio, near Yatesville Lake in Kentucky, and then back home at my little cabin on the river in West Virginia.

kkarl
08-13-2015, 10:45 AM
This is me with my son, playing a song on top of a ridge in Colorado. We are playing a sad song as part of a memorial for a lost loved one. Yes, he's playing a guitar, but he's also a uke player, and he is the one who got me playing the ukulele. 82359

UkAlele
08-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Awesome scenary and what a place to play a uke... thank you for the contribution.

Wouldn't it be great if more people added to the thread. It's energising reading the stories from people.

Come on everybody.... More stories very welcomed....

Regards

Uk-Al-lele
Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com

rickkes
08-13-2015, 11:53 AM
at home, for many hours, and at my desk at work for about six minutes total.

sad, I know

bobinde
08-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Lots of playing on my front porch. A guitar Jam I regularly attend (I take at least one of my ukes), an Art Gallery open house and next Saturday, I'm leading at my stepdaughter's (A new Uker) Uke Party. I'm going to introduce that wonderful concept - kanikapila to her & her friends. She's supplying the food and her husband is supplying the (Kona) beer:cool::cool: . . .

bobinde

DownUpDave
08-13-2015, 12:11 PM
I really forced myself to play out whenever possible, as in away from the kitchen table.

Played at a Beer Fest on the deck of a local pub
On stage in Midland Ontario at the first uke festival in Central Southern Ontario
At friends cottages, both on the deck and the dock.
Presqu'ile Provincial Park, just got back from a 4 day camping trip with 20 friends.

Up in the great white north we have to pack in as much outdoor playing as we can because the season of snow always seems just around the corner.

Pueo
08-13-2015, 12:13 PM
I played a couple of songs for the family (about 50 folks) for my late father-in-law's ash scattering ceremony in Waikiki. One of my wife's sisters danced hula while I sang and played, it was very nice.
I also got to play a bit on the North Shore of Oahu.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb354/YoungDamon/2015-07-259521.35.091.jpg
Ok, fine, I cheated, each of those places is only a 45 minute drive from my house. :D

Hippie Dribble
08-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Sadly it has been winter where I live. I shall get y'all back in a few months time... :)

UkAlele
08-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Hi. Great News Just Arrived... Any season included...

Tootler
08-13-2015, 12:58 PM
At local folk clubs and open mics.

kohanmike
08-13-2015, 08:15 PM
On my balcony looking at the sunset.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Sunset3.jpg

Phluffy the Destroyer
08-13-2015, 09:07 PM
I take a ukulele with me just about everywhere I go, and I play just about everywhere. I've gotten in the habit of playing whenever anyone who isn't an asshat about it asks me to.

Although, I've decided I need to learn more children's songs after last week. I don't think I had a single request to play a song by anyone pushing puberty. Unfortunately, the only children's songs I know are adult versions that are probably best to reserve for the over 21 crowd. The least offensive children's song I know is a happy little tune about kids who bludgeon, poison, starve, and cook people

UkAlele
08-13-2015, 10:05 PM
Awesome sunset...

We must have more amazing pics, the response is creating a dynamic collection of snapshot stories and this could be extremely useful and motivational to people seeking a new interest and direction.

Can we collectively encourage more people to try the ukelele?

Regards

Uk-Al-lele
Itsybitsyuke@gmail.com

Booli
08-13-2015, 11:15 PM
This summer, I've only played at home so far, 30-120 mins per day, every day. Too hot and humid to take the ukes outside the house out and about (and possibly have to leave in the car, not gonna chance it), plus I can't stand the biting insects. Also, for the entire month of May, severe seasonal allergies basically forced me to be a hermit if I wanted to be able to breathe at all.

I am hoping that over Labor Day weekend if I can get out to the NJ Uke Fest in Morristown and attend a few workshops and embarrass myself at the open mic.

sopher
08-13-2015, 11:53 PM
At home daily, at the local uke club, at work a few times, where I held a 1-hour elevator music concert at lunch the week of Independence day and where I am coaching a couple newbies, and recently at the Big Meadows Lodge in Shenandoah National Park.

Luke El U
08-14-2015, 01:53 AM

At a park in Karlsplatz, Vienna across from this baroque church.

John A
08-14-2015, 02:26 AM

At a park in Karlsplatz, Vienna across from this baroque church.

I know that park... I lived in Wien for 16 years!

John A
08-14-2015, 02:50 AM
As for me... I'm living in Australia at the moment and I mainly play at home, sitting out on the back verandah is a favourite place while watching parrots & magpies frolic in the fruit trees... but here's a picture of me hard at work in front of the computer. I'm actually looking at the computer and thinking about my next book while picking out a few tunes. My wife says I do more picking than thinking... she may be right!

ukeeku
08-14-2015, 03:56 AM
Michigan on a beach, Ukulele World Congress (So all over and on stage), My monthly ukulele Jam in Normal, IL... Ummm going to Ukin' in the woods in MO later this month

sonomajazz
08-14-2015, 06:52 AM
Right this moment (well after I type this note...)I'm playing my newish B stock Koalana on the banks of the mighty Austin Creek just 7 miles south of Cazadero Ca...mastering the first 7-8 bars of Jakes Piano Forte...then we're going to the beach(Goat Rock Beach)...if you're in the area...stop by...

vanflynn
08-14-2015, 07:21 AM
In the local parade. They are desperate for musical floats (we were more of a sink!)

k0k0peli
08-14-2015, 08:19 AM
Right this moment (well after I type this note...)I'm playing my newish B stock Koalana on the banks of the mighty Austin Creek just 7 miles south of Cazadero Ca...mastering the first 7-8 bars of Jakes Piano Forte...then we're going to the beach(Goat Rock Beach)...if you're in the area...stop by... I lived quite a while just upstream from there (Forestville) and biked and hiked all that a lot. A nice smooth run down River Road on my 'bent (BikeE semi-recumbent bicycle, built in Oregon) -- wish I was there now with a taropatch and a flask of Korbel brandy. Have you played under the coast redwoods in Armstrong Reserve yet? Sounds just disappear there.

Ukejenny
08-14-2015, 11:24 AM
Home, church, uke jams, out by the pool, down at the beach, in the car.... I think that's about it.

UkAlele
08-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Hi UU

An amazing response so far. Thanks to everyone.

I've managed to find out who's been playing the very first ItsyBitsyUke I produced. Awesome to see so many people having fun with the small uke.

Want to know more, read all about it...

http://fourstringsfluteanddrum.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/big-fun-with-small-ukulele.html?m=1

Finally... THERE MUST BE LOADS more uke players just itching to tell us all about where they last played their uke. The more the merrier, and oh boy! What a fantastic diverse read this thread makes.

Regards and thanks to all who have and continue to contribute to this thread.

Allan (Uk-Al-lele)
Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com

VegasGeorge
08-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Only at home! Come to think of it, I should learn to play "Don't Get Around Much Anymore." But in my own defense, it has been 105˚ F weather for weeks on end. We got a slight break the last couple of days with the thunderstorms, rain, flash floods, and lightening. But that's not so inviting either. I'm hoping to get out to play in a few more venues once the cooler days of autumn arrive. I just wish there was a nice, other than Starbucks, coffee shop nearby where I could sit and strum. I hate the noisy, hard surface, uncomfortable Starbucks places.

AcousticTones
08-14-2015, 03:39 PM
Just at home, but loving my time with my uke just about every morning before work and every evening before bed.

manfrog
08-14-2015, 05:25 PM
In June I played all over Bavaria, even on the autobahn. :)

http://youtu.be/DJqBsFcaQVs

Nickie
08-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Some of you have had some interesting trips! We rarely get to go anywhere. WE did play at the B&B we stayed at in Mt Dora FL for our honeymoon.
Other than that, I just played in our new jam session at the Haus Coffee Shop near our home. The jam sessions are up to 20 players now, and we're ready for a larger venue!

WCBarnes
08-14-2015, 07:19 PM
In a few weeks I am headed to South Africa on a humanitarian aid project for 3 weeks. I am hoping to find a way to bring a uke with me. But as I am planning on bring my camera bag and computer (and I will not check my uke - even my flea) I am trying to figure out how to swing an additional carry on item. I haven't given up yet!

UkAlele
08-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Hi UU,

At the time of reading 32 responses, lets try and hit the 100 target. There must be so many short responses from all over the world...

The humanitarian trip sounds good. Good luck in the trip.

Regards

Uk-Al-lele
Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com

Ukuleledad
08-14-2015, 09:56 PM
Summer Family Road Trip:

So far we have driven from our home in Somerset to the ferry port at Plymouth. Then 20 hours on the ferry to Northern Spain, then 7 hour drive to Barcelona where we stayed for a week. On this leg I had my Martin 0XK which stood up well to the Spainish heat. I played it on the ferry and at night in our camp outside Barcelona.
We then drove for another 7 hours across to the Limousin area of France where we are staying with my parents. On arrival I counted that Dad had some 7 Ukes with him! For the past 4 days lots of music & laughs!

UkerDanno
08-15-2015, 03:58 AM
3 different ukulele groups in Arizona, also New Mexico and Colorado. In a few weeks, I'll have to make sure and stop in Utah for a tune...

UkAlele
08-15-2015, 04:21 AM
Hi will you post pics and short write up to thread. I've never seen Utah...

bassballz
08-15-2015, 07:25 AM
I did not tote a uke on my summer travels this year (shame on me), but spent the in-between strumming at the loacal shoreline... a couple brews in the backpack and my "beach uke" and I'm good for a few hours.
Cheerios!

LDS714
08-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Nashville TN, Chattanooga TN, Indianapolis IN, Dayton OH, Huntsville AL, Chicago IL and in the van/truck whatever on the road in between them all. :D

And, if a Ubass counts... Gigs at Straight to Ale Brewery in Alabama, a couple of different clubs in Alabama, the Huntsville Cigar Box Guitar Festival, BB King's in Nashville, The Warehouse in Clarksville TN.

SailingUke
08-15-2015, 07:23 PM
We took a road trip in May-June, 18 States and 1 Canadian Province. We played at UWC and Central Park Strawberry Fields in NYC. Six weeks on the road with our Blackbird Ukes.

gyosh
08-15-2015, 07:23 PM
I played a couple of songs for the family (about 50 folks) for my late father-in-law's ash scattering ceremony in Waikiki. One of my wife's sisters danced hula while I sang and played, it was very nice.
I also got to play a bit on the North Shore of Oahu.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb354/YoungDamon/2015-07-259521.35.091.jpg
Ok, fine, I cheated, each of those places is only a 45 minute drive from my house. :D

I played with Damon and about 200 of our closest friends at the Roy Sakuma Festival in Oahu in July. There were definitely some other UU'ers out there!!

consitter
08-15-2015, 07:37 PM
I am ashamed to say that I only picked up my uke twice this summer, that I can think of anyway. :(

Tootler
08-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Just added a local folk festival to my list of venues. I've another I'm visiting next week

Nickie
08-16-2015, 02:45 PM
I played for the friends of a deceased patient yesterday, at her memorial party.

UkAlele
08-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

The responses just keep on rolling in. Another place I played my ItsyBitsyUke was down in the South of England on the Cob at historical Lyme Regis on the Jurassic Coast.

A beautiful day and there were lots of bemused onlookers who could not believe it was possible to hand craft such a beautiful bespoke instrument as the ItsyBitsyUke.

https://youtu.be/J_CM3rViCsg
Keep the story thread alive and tell us all about where you last played your uke.

Regards

Allan

Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com
Follow my work on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1478394789140545

Hippie Dribble
08-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Hi Everyone,

The responses just keep on rolling in. Another place I played my ItsyBitsyUke was down in the South of England on the Cob at historical Lyme Regis on the Jurassic Coast.

A beautiful day and there were lots of bemused onlookers who could not believe it was possible to hand craft such a beautiful bespoke instrument as the ItsyBitsyUke.

https://youtu.be/J_CM3rViCsg
Keep the story thread alive and tell us all about where you last played your uke.

Regards

Allan

Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com
Follow my work on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1478394789140545

Hi Allan, if you wish to insert links to your ItsyBitsy business email and FB profiles, please do so in your signature, thanks!

UkAlele
08-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Found signature in settings and set up. Test run message. Thanks for advice.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-17-2015, 11:43 AM
with gyosh, Greenie, Damon(Pueo), the Roy Sakuma Strummers and our own STRUM group (those who were able to be at the Ukulele Festival Hawaii 2015, then for the rest of my stay, at the Ala Moana Food Court with the Auntys making paper leis :)
I tried to be there everyday to serenade them, then played Japanese Cards (Hanafuda) at the same location later in the afternoon and early evening :)

keep uke'in',

The Duke of Uke
08-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Speaking of Strawberry Fields...

I'm a uke newbie, so I've only played in the house and the back deck. Yesterday I did my laundry and hung it out to dry, and it was such a nice day that I took my uke out and did some pluckin' by the clothesline. Suddenly I had a surreal thought: If you'd asked me a year ago what I'd be doing on the afternoon of August 18, 2015, I probably would NOT have said, "Standing in the shadows of my flapping bedsheets, playing Strawberry Fields Forever on a ukulele." :D

mattydee
08-19-2015, 04:25 PM
I live in Milwaukee, WI so lots and lots here, but also,

Nashville, TN
Needmore, IN (UWC7)
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Lake Charlevoix, MI
Spring Green, WI

And soon,

Seattle, WA
Petaluma, CA

UkAlele
08-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Nothing like strawberry fields...

bman40
08-20-2015, 05:25 PM
we just got back from three days at Port Townsend WA -

we trailer-camped at Fort Worden State park.

Lots of ukin' with my lovely wife on the grassy meadow between the campites and the beach on Hood Canal.

we worked on Ripple by the Dead, Fire and Rain by James Taylor and the Once and Future Carpenter by the Avett Brothers.

Nothing beats a nice uke and a summer day.

photoshooter
08-21-2015, 03:18 AM
This summer I had a lot of paperwork that I needed to tend to in my home office. An $11 investment made sure all went smoothly. I attached a String Swing uke hanger next to my desk. I got to play 30 to 90 minutes or more a day and all of my paperwork was done in short order.

UkAlele
08-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Hi Everyone,

A huge thanks to all who have contributed to or read the thread; what a fabulous read it makes. I absolutely adore the idea of uking in the office.

I reackon I'm going to make a uke hammock in the ItsyBitsyUke Studio so that I don't miss out on essential uke time.

If anyone is interested I'm slowly documenting the build process of the next six ItsyBitsyUkes. Three have been snapped up already and supporting interested individuals are providing me with invaluable opportunities to further develop my building skills... Ukelele heaven.