Where did you play your ukelele this summer?

No vids, sorry. Our 'ukes were played (and many obtained) as we journeyed in a wide swath of Great Basin and SouthWest USA. Think of a trapezoid with corners around Lake Tahoe, CA; Durango, CO; Albuquerque, NM; and San Bernardino, CA. We'll have some heavy 'uke session around Lake Tahoe and San Francisco in the coming weeks (it's still summer here). And I regularly sit on the porch of our remote mountain home and serenade the deer, squirrels, wild turkeys, pumas, and brown bears. The deer listen briefly.

I journeyed to Hawaii in June and at the Koaloha factory purchased a pineapple soprano and a Naupaka soprano, both beautiful in appearance and sound. I played them in Waikiki, the Kaanapali Coast of Maui and Mauna Lani on the Kona coast of the Big Island. It was the trip of a lifetime and as I play these ukes here on Long Island now that I am home, I hear the rush of my Hawaiian memories return once more.

Last edited:
My ukes were played on Lake Erie in Ohio, near Yatesville Lake in Kentucky, and then back home at my little cabin on the river in West Virginia.

This is me with my son, playing a song on top of a ridge in Colorado. We are playing a sad song as part of a memorial for a lost loved one. Yes, he's playing a guitar, but he's also a uke player, and he is the one who got me playing the ukulele. image.jpg

Awesome scenary and what a place to play a uke... thank you for the contribution.

Wouldn't it be great if more people added to the thread. It's energising reading the stories from people.

Come on everybody.... More stories very welcomed....

Regards

Uk-Al-lele
Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com
https://youtu.be/JYcG9Cp-Du0

at home, for many hours, and at my desk at work for about six minutes total.

sad, I know

Lots of playing on my front porch. A guitar Jam I regularly attend (I take at least one of my ukes), an Art Gallery open house and next Saturday, I'm leading at my stepdaughter's (A new Uker) Uke Party. I'm going to introduce that wonderful concept - kanikapila to her & her friends. She's supplying the food and her husband is supplying the (Kona) beer:cool::cool: . . .

bobinde

I really forced myself to play out whenever possible, as in away from the kitchen table.

Played at a Beer Fest on the deck of a local pub
On stage in Midland Ontario at the first uke festival in Central Southern Ontario
At friends cottages, both on the deck and the dock.
Presqu'ile Provincial Park, just got back from a 4 day camping trip with 20 friends.

Up in the great white north we have to pack in as much outdoor playing as we can because the season of snow always seems just around the corner.

I played a couple of songs for the family (about 50 folks) for my late father-in-law's ash scattering ceremony in Waikiki. One of my wife's sisters danced hula while I sang and played, it was very nice.
I also got to play a bit on the North Shore of Oahu.
2015-07-259521.35.091.jpg

Ok, fine, I cheated, each of those places is only a 45 minute drive from my house. :D

Sadly it has been winter where I live. I shall get y'all back in a few months time... :)

Hi. Great News Just Arrived... Any season included...

On my balcony looking at the sunset.

Sunset3.jpg

I take a ukulele with me just about everywhere I go, and I play just about everywhere. I've gotten in the habit of playing whenever anyone who isn't an asshat about it asks me to.

Although, I've decided I need to learn more children's songs after last week. I don't think I had a single request to play a song by anyone pushing puberty. Unfortunately, the only children's songs I know are adult versions that are probably best to reserve for the over 21 crowd. The least offensive children's song I know is a happy little tune about kids who bludgeon, poison, starve, and cook people

Awesome sunset...

We must have more amazing pics, the response is creating a dynamic collection of snapshot stories and this could be extremely useful and motivational to people seeking a new interest and direction.

Can we collectively encourage more people to try the ukelele?

Regards

Uk-Al-lele
Itsybitsyuke@gmail.com
https://youtu.be/JYcG9Cp-Du0

This summer, I've only played at home so far, 30-120 mins per day, every day. Too hot and humid to take the ukes outside the house out and about (and possibly have to leave in the car, not gonna chance it), plus I can't stand the biting insects. Also, for the entire month of May, severe seasonal allergies basically forced me to be a hermit if I wanted to be able to breathe at all.

I am hoping that over Labor Day weekend if I can get out to the NJ Uke Fest in Morristown and attend a few workshops and embarrass myself at the open mic.

At home daily, at the local uke club, at work a few times, where I held a 1-hour elevator music concert at lunch the week of Independence day and where I am coaching a couple newbies, and recently at the Big Meadows Lodge in Shenandoah National Park.

image.jpg

At a park in Karlsplatz, Vienna across from this baroque church.

Top Bottom