Tony Graziano Anyone?

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was just web surfing and came across Tony Graziano's website. He is a luthier in the Santa Cruz, CA, area. It caused me to remember something that I had completely forgotten. Back in the late 1980's I bought a beautiful 8 string ukulele from him. It was gorgeous to look at, and sounded as good as it looked. I owned it for a couple of years, but sold it when I bought a Kamaka 8 string simply because I didn't think I needed two 8 strings. Thinking back on it, I believe the only reason was my love for Kamaka. The Graziano was certainly a worthy instrument. I was surprised to see that he is still making ukuleles.

Frankly, I'm thinking about getting one. (OK, OK, I know about my resolution re UAS and all that.) But just "thinking" seems harmless enough, does't it?

I realized when I sat down to write this posting that I haven't seen Tony Graziano mentioned by anyone on the Forum. Perhaps he isn't that well known? So, do any of you guys have one of his ukes? What do you think of it?

I was just web surfing and came across Tony Graziano's website. He is a luthier in the Santa Cruz, CA, area. It caused me to remember something that I had completely forgotten. Back in the late 1980's I bought a beautiful 8 string ukulele from him. It was gorgeous to look at, and sounded as good as it looked. I owned it for a couple of years, but sold it when I bought a Kamaka 8 string simply because I didn't think I needed two 8 strings. Thinking back on it, I believe the only reason was my love for Kamaka. The Graziano was certainly a worthy instrument. I was surprised to see that he is still making ukuleles.

Frankly, I'm thinking about getting one. (OK, OK, I know about my resolution re UAS and all that.) But just "thinking" seems harmless enough, does't it?

I realized when I sat down to write this posting that I haven't seen Tony Graziano mentioned by anyone on the Forum. Perhaps he isn't that well known? So, do any of you guys have one of his ukes? What do you think of it?

Tony does great work!

If I had the need for another Uke a Graziano would definitely be on the radar!

He's one of the best and most experienced uke builders around. He's way past being well known.

Janet Klein plays a Graziano. That's good enough for me.

I've met him at a few local (San Francisco Bay Area; he's in Santa Cruz) festivals and I've had the chance to play some of his ukuleles. They're beautiful and well-built, and the sound great. I never seemed to be in the market for an ukulele when I'd run into him at festivals, but I'd definitely consider one if the timing was right.

Old thread I know but just want to chime in. I had Tony build me a 'flamenco' concert in 1997 and I still love it though it is incredibly bright so sound wise might not be to everyone's taste. I couldn't afford his fancier models at the time so it's very plain but quite beautiful still. My only quibble is the intonation is off (but that has been true of every uke I've owned other than my Ovation Applause tenor). I use pieces from an old saddle and make what amounts to a second, adjustable nut and that sets it nicely. Narrows the first fret but I have skinny fingers so not a problem. I would definitely recommend him to anyone. And if funds ever permit would consider another of his although from what I have heard of them I'm very interested in the Pepe Romero ukes which might be more approachable price wise. Can post pics of my Graziano if anyone wishes.

John

Tony is one under rated and not too known builder, to me his ukes sound good, nice tone play comfortable and look good
In fact i do love mine. His uke is one of my favorites

Graziano has been building for a long time. Good guy, great ukes. Mostly known in Northern California.

A few years ago at the Northern California Ukulele Festival, I asked my wife to go take a look at his booth. He had several instruments and a book with pictures of his work. She was checking out his ukes when a large gust of wind sent a soprano flying off its rack. She caught it in mid-air about a foot from the concrete. She handed it to him and he looked it over, strummed it a few times and declared it unharmed. I told her she should have asked for the "almost scrapwood" discount. :)

Really wish I could remember what book it was in but a couple of years ago I was going thru some library books about setting up a workshop and there was Tony in his little shop, working on a uke. I showed it to my wife and told her he built my ukulele. She was not impressed :(

John

Last edited:

I have beautiful 2018 tony graziano concert electric ukulele. Sounds great, I call it a warm mellow sound.

Top Bottom