Anyone remember the "Fun Builds"?

erich@muttcrew.net

Reaction score
A few years ago, we had a project going here on UU that involved different members collaborating to build ukes together for a good cause. The first build was completed successfully and awarded by UU as the prize for a "Best Video" contest.

The second build got off to a good start, but unfortunately there were a couple of pieces that no one volonteered to make - I believe we were short a nut and bridge and maybe also a fretboard. Anyway, time went by, people moved on to do other things.... and the build was never completed.

I had been asked to make the top for the Fun Build 2011 and ended up completing it some time that summer. Brad Donaldson had been collecting all the parts from the various builders and would have been the one to also do the final assembly but, as said, that unfortunately never happened with this build. So last year I talked to Brad and asked him if he might send the top back to me - which he did.

The original plan was for a concert scale pineapple uke according to the Scott Antes plans. I had already made a pinapple based on those plans, so I decided I would make a change and use the top on a boat paddle uke. The original scale length was about 380 mm, which I increased to 410 mm in order to have the neck joint at the 14th fret (boat paddles just have to have long necks).

And here are a few pictures of what came out of it - hope you like it:

P1050300_md.jpg P1050302_md.jpg P1050311_md.jpg P1050319_md.jpg

Top Bottom