PDA

View Full Version : Pono Baritone Question

martinfan
08-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Hi all,

I am new to ukulele, and new to this board. It seems like a great place to learn. I was referred here by the acoustic guitar forum, of which I have been a member for a number of years, and have loved it.

I purchased a Pono Tenor from The Ukulele Site (Hawaiian Music Store), the ATD 2, and is a marvelous. My only experience had been a $50 model for my kids. The set up was perfect and the customer service perfect. It was a bit more than budget, but based upon what I have read here, along with their opinions, it was worth the stretch. I had read so many good things about them, here at the UU, that it was not surprising to find such great service.

My next conquest will be a Baritone and I am also looking at Pono, but have considered used. The Mahogany models have caught my eye, as I play a mahogany Martin guitar and love the sound and look.

I have seen a few for sale, almost new, but also read that Pono may have had a run of lesser quality ones.

Is there any way of knowing, perhaps by serial number or age, if the used ones for sale might be part of a less-than-perfect batch?

I do not mind cosmetic issues. In fact, it might allow me to purchase sooner than later, but I don't want to get into issues that impact playability; I am not qualified to do much more than change my own strings and perhaps a slight adjustment to my truss rod, so I cannot buy one with issues.

The alternative is to patiently save up and get from the Hawaiian Music Store but as I am having so much fun with the new uke, and learning...well, I doubt the need to explain 'gas' here.

If the price of near new, plus shipping, is close to new, I will just wait for new, but if there is a significant savings, and the issue is cosmetic, I'd love to grab one now.

I am grateful for any advice. I think it will be fun playing a nice quality baritone, in guitar setting. I do not have local ability to try out any.

Thank you in advance!

Rakelele
08-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Hi and welcome to the Underground. You could contact Kilin Reese who does the repair work for Pono and who is also a member of this forum. He always has some of their ukes for sale, some of them can be found on ebay (paradiseukulele).

PhilUSAFRet
08-15-2015, 12:26 PM
I have a paradise Pono 6 string refurb and it looks flawless to me. Great place to do business.

martinfan
08-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Thank you for your replies.

Also, a belated thank you for being steered to Hawaiian Music---I am so pleased by the Pono ATD 2, but loved the customer service, too, which made an online purchase less stressful.