Is Brad Donaldson still around?

Preacher

Reaction score
Forgive me for putting this in a thread but I was wondering if Mr. Donaldson was still around here and still making ukes?

His webpage hasn't been touched in a while.

Thanks,
Preacher

I was on his build list and I haven't heard from him. I don't think he is still making them.

I'm on his build list, too.

Since December 2011. But, I'm very patient.

Donaldson is a treasure.

I'm sorry, Brother Preacher, but you'll just have to wait your turn. Lol.

I was third on the waiting list to get on the build list (as of April 2012). As I understood it, he wasn't going to make customs anymore - just occasional ukes for a shop which I think is in Seattle.

I've recently been in contact with Brad; Yes, he has a second home in Kauai, but due to family problems, the loss of his father, and some substantial health problems both he and his wife have had to deal with, he has only made two ukuleles in the past year or two.

If you have his email address or cell phone number, that is the easiest way to contact him. I don't feel comfortable giving them out without express permission, but I believe the email address is on his web site.

-Kurt​

I wondered what happened to Brad. I always enjoyed his posts here on UU, and was on his build list just ahead of Steve, since November 2011. My last email from Brad was in August 2013, I was on the short list for a uke build at that point. It's been 2 years since that last communication, so I figured he quit building. He never took any deposits, and made it clear the customer or builder could back out at any time in the process. I was afraid he might be having health issues.

Last edited:
I got on the list Jan 1 of 2012 and by Jan 26th of 2013 the top wood was picked and it was a go but I haven't heard from him since. I've send emails but gotten no reply. He said he was moving to HI and was having family issues. I also was afraid that perhaps something health wise has prevented him from continuing. I will be very happy if he does continue to build but am understanding if it never happens. I loved his plans for his student ukes and planned on making one but never got the chance. I'm not sure if the plans are still available or not.

I got a uke and was on the waitlist Aug 2011. I know Ksiegel got one after me and since Coolkayaker1 didn't get his being Dec 2011, he's somewhere in between.

I was added to Brad's list in March, 2012, and the ukulele arrived July 15, 2013 - so I've had it for slightly more than 2 years. Brad did tell me that he has only built two ukes since mine was completed.

uke_001.jpg
uke_002.jpg
uke_003.jpg
uke_004.jpg

Last edited:

Interesting, for sure. He was a skilled luthier.

I owned one of his vintage-styled sopranos and it was light as a sweet pea.

I then traded the memorable Donaldson soprano for a tenor that I've long since forgotten.

Merry Xmas Brad wherever you are.... It would be nice to see you back on the forum ..I remember you saying that my dovetail neck joint that I supplied for the "fun ukulele project" was the easiest one you ever put together. :) ( thanks for that)... Hope we hear from you again soon.

The date on my concert pineapple is dated and initialed 7-12-13. Serial #231. it is very curly myrtle strung through the body at the tail and PEGHEDS on the other end. It is trimmed top and bottom with very curly maple

Top Bottom