PDA

View Full Version : College Football

Down Up Dick
08-15-2015, 04:30 PM
The college football season opens on September 5th I think. I'm really lookin' forward to it. :old:

actadh
08-15-2015, 04:38 PM
My team is West Virginia. What teams do all of you follow through the season?

Down Up Dick
08-15-2015, 07:26 PM
I like Notre Dame and USC the most, but I have other favorites that change from season to season. If none of them are on, I like the West Coast teams.

Ahhh, College Football! I hope we have a winter this year too, or at least that this beastly summer will end. :old:

wickedwahine11
08-16-2015, 01:51 AM
I am a lifelong USC Trojan fan (and alum). I can't wait for the season to start, and hope we will play well this year. At least the sanctions are finally over, the loss of scholarships really crippled us for years. We can actually hopefully start tackling in practice and having depth at postions again.

wayfarer75
08-16-2015, 06:37 AM
I root for Ohio State in college football--I gotta, I'm an alum! (49ers fan for NFL.) VERY excited to see how this year plays out. Last year's championship win had all us fans stunned, I think. So really, whatever happens this year is okay by me. I'm just looking forward to the entertainment.

actadh
08-16-2015, 11:22 AM
I root for Ohio State in college football--I gotta, I'm an alum! (49ers fan for NFL.) VERY excited to see how this year plays out. Last year's championship win had all us fans stunned, I think. So really, whatever happens this year is okay by me. I'm just looking forward to the entertainment.

I am an alum of WV, but this year my cousin's grandson is also on the team.

Many of my colleagues attended local universities, so we have a subtle color coordination that goes on at work during football season - blue and gold for us WV fans, scarlet and gray for OSU, and green for Marshall/Ohio University.

JJFN
08-16-2015, 12:54 PM
Penn State and USC. Although I have lived my entire life on the east coast, I am a Southern Cal fan. Go figure.

wayfarer75
08-16-2015, 04:00 PM
I am an alum of WV, but this year my cousin's grandson is also on the team.

That's really cool--having family on the team would bring an extra level of excitement for game time.

The Ohio State fans in Columbus can get really rabid, it's kind of embarrassing at times how nuts some of them are. :wtf:

Down Up Dick
09-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Well, Fans, tomorrow's the big day! Who ya gonna watch? I hafta find out who plays when, but I wanna see Notre Dame and USC.

Alas, I can't watch all day any more; I get too cranky. Well, maybe two or three games . . . :old:

Down Up Dick
09-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Well, Fans, another mistake! The big day isn't tomorrow. I got my days mixed up; that happens when one retires. But I'm not completely wrong. There are some games on tomorrow night.

Sooo, only one more day until football day! My bad. :old:

Debby
09-03-2015, 03:19 PM
I like Notre Dame and USC the most, but I have other favorites that change from season to season. If none of them are on, I like the West Coast teams.

Ahhh, College Football! I hope we have a winter this year too, or at least that this beastly summer will end. :old:

I live in Purdue country, but Notre Dame is my fave, too.

Debby
09-03-2015, 03:20 PM
I live in Purdue country, but Notre Dame is my fave, too.

I also like IU.

Down Up Dick
09-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Well, lotsa football. Nebraska (my wife's favorite) got beaten in the last seconds of the game--a crushing blow! Notre Dame won big and so did UCLA, so that was satisfying. I never did find out where to watch USC, but they were winning too. I guess it doesn't matter though as I fell asleep on the couch again. Ahhh, well . . .

A very enjoyable opening day to the college football season, but all that running and passing made me tired. :old:

wickedwahine11
09-05-2015, 08:44 PM
It was a great game for my alma mater USC - we won 55-6. Now on to next week. I was really surprised by Stanford and Arizona State though.

Down Up Dick
09-06-2015, 03:02 AM
wickedwahine11, did you WATCH the USC game? Where? I looked for it but couldn't find it. I don't know about the Stanford game.

It was a good football day except for Nebraska. :old:

wickedwahine11
09-06-2015, 04:01 AM
wickedwahine11, did you WATCH the USC game? Where? I looked for it but couldn't find it. I don't know about the Stanford game.

It was a good football day except for Nebraska. :old:

I did, even though it kept my old butt up way too late. It was on the Pac 12 Network - which I don't get on Directv but my mom does on Uverse. Next week the Trojans are on Pac12 again for the Idaho game.

Down Up Dick
09-06-2015, 04:48 AM
Pac12 Network? Well, I guess I'll hafta see if I've got that--thanks. :old:

Down Up Dick
09-12-2015, 03:01 PM
I did, even though it kept my old butt up way too late. It was on the Pac 12 Network - which I don't get on Directv but my mom does on Uverse. Next week the Trojans are on Pac12 again for the Idaho game.

Well, we have it, and we're watching USC vs. Idaho now. Thanks for the info WW11. Did you watch the Notre Dame game today? Great game, but not until the last few minutes.

We're trying to figure out where Nebraska's playin'--anyone know? :old:

wickedwahine11
09-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Well, we have it, and we're watching USC vs. Idaho now. Thanks for the info WW11. Did you watch the Notre Dame game today? Great game, but not until the last few minutes.

We're trying to figure out where Nebraska's playin'--anyone know? :old:

I did watch the USC game (woo hoo!) and parts of Notre Dame's game and Ohio State vs. Hawaii, as well as Oregon v. Michigan State. Of the four games, only one went my way - but at least my beloved Trojans are 2-0. :)

Down Up Dick
09-12-2015, 07:36 PM
We stopped watching the USC game. It was too lopsided. I don't like trouncings. I thought the Oregon game was boring. I just couldn't get into it. I really enjoyed the Notre Dame game--once it was over. Whew!

All in all, a good football day. :old:

Down Up Dick
09-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Well, Air Force lost--too bad. But the Nebraska/Miami game was a humdinger, even though Nebraska lost by an exciting field goal. However my Notre Dame/beat Georga Tech. The USC game was pretty good too, but USC also lost. Ahhh, well . . . :old:

Down Up Dick
09-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Another win for Notre Dame (over UMass). UCLA beat Arizona, and USC was beating the other Arizona when I went to bed.

A good, good day for my teams. :old:

actadh
09-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Good for you, Down Up Dick.

I win either way in the Maryland/WVU matchup as I attended both schools. But, it was nice to see WVU go 3 for 3.

VELARCA
09-29-2015, 06:14 AM
I like the figthing irish, but there are sooooo many teams in college, that it's hard to pick just one, here in good old Mexico we have little league and a mayor league, that it is kind like college football, but not every university have a team, soccer, they definitly do, but not football...:(

Down Up Dick
10-03-2015, 12:03 PM
What happened to USC? Did I miss it or what? :old:

wickedwahine11
10-03-2015, 12:16 PM
What happened to USC? Did I miss it or what? :old:

The Trojans have a bye. The next game is Thursday night on ESPN - I think vs. Washington. By the way, I am curious...you like USC, UCLA and Notre Dame. I went to USC so I love them. But I hate Notre Dame and despise UCLA even more. Isn't it hard to like all three? Like rooting for Red Sox and Yankees or Michigan and Ohuo State.

Down Up Dick
10-03-2015, 12:50 PM
I like Notre Dame because it's Notre Dame! I've been a fan for years. I like UCLA (so so), whenever no one else is on because they're from Cal. I started liking USC because they had a great band--Michigan too. I also like and watch the (Phoenix) Arizona team because I usta be stationed in Arizona. We watch Nebraska because my wife is from there. I have more "likes", but I had to cut back.

I usta watch more teams, but if I do, and they don't do well, I get all cranky. :old:

Down Up Dick
10-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Well, Notre Dame almost did it, but they maybe had too slow a start. It sure did rain. I wish we'd get a little rain here. ASU did well though. I don't know about Nebraska.

An unsatisfactory Saturday this week. Maybe I just missed USC. :old:

wickedwahine11
10-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Well, Notre Dame almost did it, but they maybe had too slow a start. It sure did rain. I wish we'd get a little rain here. ASU did well though. I don't know about Nebraska.

An unsatisfactory Saturday this week. Maybe I just missed USC. :old:

USC bye weeks are a sacrilege! I get why you like all three, I was curious. Sorry about your Bruins, that one really helped the Trojans though - now USC, UCLA and ASU all have a loss in the Pac12 South. We just need Utah to get one now - I am hoping at the hands of the Trojans.

Down Up Dick
10-04-2015, 02:51 AM
USC bye weeks are a sacrilege! I get why you like all three, I was curious. Sorry about your Bruins, that one really helped the Trojans though - now USC, UCLA and ASU all have a loss in the Pac12 South. We just need Utah to get one now - I am hoping at the hands of the Trojans.

I guess I didn't make myself clear: I don't care for UCLA much, and I was pulling for ASU. I only watch UCLA when no other west coast teams are on. I like Oregon too, but I don't always watch 'em.

We usta pull for Texas' "Hook 'Em Horns", but they did poorly yesterday. Penn State, with Joe Paterno, was one of my favorites too, until they had all the sex problems and cover-ups.

I guess all the teams have their ups and downs. :old:

Down Up Dick
10-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Supposed to be USC tonight (Thursday, the 8th). I don't know what channel--Que sera, sera! :old:

wickedwahine11
10-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Supposed to be USC tonight (Thursday, the 8th). I don't know what channel--Que sera, sera! :old:

ESPN. Fight on 'SC!

Down Up Dick
10-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Yeah, right. I just got back from the dentist so I can't post much. :old:

Down Up Dick
10-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Well, USC looked very tired, and Washington simply over powered them. Ahhh, well . . .

You just can't win 'em all, I guess. Ya win some, and ya lose some--again, ahhh well . . . My jaw hurts! :old:

Down Up Dick
10-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Well, Notre Dame sank Navy, but I feel a little bad about it. I like Navy a lot too; I always pick them over Army. And Nebraska managed to lose another very close one. If they didn't have bad luck, they wouldn't have any luck at all.

Watched a little of the Cal/Utah game (but mostly slept on the couch) too. Utah was ahead when I shifted to the bedroom.

Ahhh, another exciting day of football--and couch time! :old:

Down Up Dick
10-11-2015, 02:12 PM
Oh oh, USC's without a (sober) coach! And Notre Dame's comin' up--oh, oh--what to do? Oh my! :old:

Down Up Dick
10-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Well, finally a good game with a great score by Nebraska. Minnesota played hard and well, but no dice--too bad. The USC/Notre Dame was great!-very exciting. I like both teams, but I'm a long time Notre Dame fan. I'm glad they came back from their doldrums mid game.

We watched a little of the Arizona/Utah and Washington/Oregon games before I retired to the couch for a snooze. My wife said Utah was losing when she woke me up, but it was bed time.
:old:

Down Up Dick
10-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Well, another bad day for Nebraska--ahhh, well . . . Notre Dame's got a bye today (I think). I watched a little of the Washington State/Arizona game, but I was bored with it and moved on. But I came back for the USC big win (though I dozed off at the end). Then we had ice cream to celebrate their win-a big night! But wait--it's Stanford vs. Washington for a while . . . :old:

Down Up Dick
10-31-2015, 08:18 AM
Can't get Nebraska this week -- gotta pay-no way! USC and Cal was a good, good game. Maybe USC oughta keep the interim coach as THE coach! Now lookin' forward to Notre Dame. Well, Notre Dame did it again--good game, very exciting. Today was a good football day.

Down Up Dick
11-07-2015, 10:27 AM
Well, we missed the Notre Dame game--errands, shopping and lunch--but they won, so that's good anyway. Nebraska at 1600 though and USC at 1930. So the day isn't a total loss.

So, Nebraska squeaked one out in the last few seconds--a pretty exciting game at the end. But I only saw the first half of USC/Arizona . . . The couch got me again--busy day! I found out later that USC won--go team!

actadh
11-07-2015, 10:59 AM
WVU broke their losing streak today. Was able to watch the game, too.

Down Up Dick
11-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Well, maybe they're on their way now. Keep your fingers crossed. :old:

Down Up Dick
11-14-2015, 12:48 PM
Well, Notre Dame won their "Senior Game" big and are undefeated at home this year. Naturally I thought it was a great game.

I haven't been able to find the Nebraska or USC games. Anybody know why? We'll probably watch the Stanford/Oregon game--I dunno. I like Oregon.

Apparently, I missed the USC game, but they won. Oh, last night (thanks again, ww11).

Wow, Stanford/Oregon was very exciting! I picked an underdog winner! And I stayed awake most of the game! My wife woke me up in time to see the terrific last few minutes.

A very satisfying football day! :old:

wickedwahine11
11-14-2015, 01:48 PM
Well, Notre Dame won their "Senior Game" big and are undefeated at home this year. Naturally I thought it was a good game.

I haven't been able to find the Nebraska or USC games. Anybody know why? We'll probably watch the Stanford/Oregon game--I dunno. I like Oregon.

Apparently, I missed the USC game, but they won. I don't know when it was--Ahhh, well.

Yeah, USC played last night on ESPN2 at Colorado.

Down Up Dick
11-14-2015, 02:39 PM
Okey dokey, ww11, I missed the Notre Dame last week and the USC game this week. Why don't they play on Saturday afternoon like they're supposed to?

We're watching the Oregon/Stanford game. I'm for Oregon. Thanks for the info. :old:

Down Up Dick
11-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Not much football today. First of all it was my wife's 12th Annual Tea Party. So I usually go to my favorite music store for a shop and a chat. Today, I bought a set of Banjo strings and a pick.

Then we went to visit my mother in the hospital.

I watched a little of the Oklahoma game, but I wasn't really interested. I heard that USC lost--too bad, but I also heard that Notre Dame was winning . . . I hope they do. LATER: Yay, they did!

Down Up Dick
11-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Well, we missed Nebraska's loss, and we also missed the USC game, We went to the base for my Meds and a Commissary trip. I'm glad USC stomped UCLA though. I guess I can't see 'em all.

Heck, Notre Dame didn't do it, but it was a good, exciting game. We really enjoyed it, except for the final score--Ahhh, well . . .

The kick-off run back from Notre Dame was spectacular though. I'm glad I didn't miss that! :old:

pritch
11-28-2015, 11:09 PM
Reading your comments made me curious about the college football so I watched the Clemson / S Carolina game. I'd never heard of Clemson so I had to check the maps. The subtleties of the game elude me, but the scores were close enough that there was no temptation to change channel until the end of the game. Might watch another...

wickedwahine11
11-29-2015, 12:09 AM
Despite a disappointing four losses, I am thrilled my Trojans beat their crosstown rival the Bruins. I am nervous about playing Stanford though - even though we only lost by ten points the first time we played them. Still, if you had told me we would be in the Pac12 title game, I never would have believed it.

Speaking of Stanford, that game against Notre Dame was a real nail biter!

Down Up Dick
11-29-2015, 03:07 AM
Yeah, ww11, it was a real heart breaker, but, as I said before, a very good and exciting game. Both teams played well. :old:

bigphil
11-29-2015, 04:29 AM
University of Iowa, 12 - 0 baby! WHOO HOO!

wickedwahine11
11-29-2015, 07:46 AM
University of Iowa, 12 - 0 baby! WHOO HOO!

If you guys beat Michigan State and some miracle occurs allowing us to beat Stanford we have a date in the Rose Bowl my friend!

Down Up Dick
12-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Well, I can't find Notre Dame, so I guess they're done for now--#8. I got stuff to do this aft, so it's USC/Stanford and maybe a little of Air Force/San Diego (my home town).

I hope USC kicks Stanford because Stanford beat my Notre Dame--bah! :old:

wickedwahine11
12-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Well, I can't find Notre Dame, so I guess they're done for now--#8. I got stuff to do this aft, so it's USC/Stanford and maybe a little of Air Force/San Diego (my home town).

I hope USC kicks Stanford because Stanford beat my Notre Dame--bah! :old:

I hope we beat Stanford because then it is Rose Bowl baby! But I am cautious and nervous.

Down Up Dick
12-05-2015, 01:59 PM
It should be an exciting game. I hope USC is far ahead early so I can watch some of the other game.

Well, USC lost, but it was a good game. That McCaffrey is somethin' else--Heisman?

San Diego won too, and it also was a good game. Air Force played well too. I guess both teams that I liked couldn't win.

Well, that's college football . . . :old:

frets alot
12-06-2015, 02:10 AM
Michigan State grad here.....Spartans Big Ten Champions! YEAH BABY!!!

JJFN
12-06-2015, 03:10 AM
Should be an interesting Football Final Four. My guess is:
1 - Clemson
2 - Alabama
3 - Michigan State
4 - Oklahoma

I place Michigan State ahead of OK because of their Big 10 title. We will see, this is just a guess, and I don't have a "horse" in the race.

igorthebarbarian
12-06-2015, 05:51 AM
I'm from Iowa originally. So close. Great hard fought game.

frets alot
12-06-2015, 07:31 AM
I'm from Iowa originally. So close. Great hard fought game.

Yes, Iowa looked great, as did my Spartans. Very evenly matched teams. I was happy with the outcome.

bigphil
12-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Iowa is going to the Rosebowl. Weeee!

Down Up Dick
12-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Watched the Army/Navy game after Christmas shopping. Navy (my pick) won again--go navy! :old:

wickedwahine11
12-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Watched the Army/Navy game after Christmas shopping. Navy (my pick) won again--go navy! :old:

Yup. I am married to a former Navy LCDR, the daughter and daughter-in-law of Marines, and granddaughter of a sailor. Navy is an easy pick for me...though I do feel bad for Army, 14 years is a tough streak.

Down Up Dick
12-12-2015, 03:44 PM
I try to watch the Army/Navy game every year. Surprisingly, I can rarely get interested in the Air Force games, though they did well this year. I think maybe it's the tradition of the Army/Navy game. I feel sorta guilty that I don't care much about Air Force games--Ahhh, well . . .

Down Up Dick
12-19-2015, 11:21 AM
Well, I couldn't find any good college games. I guess I'll have to wait for a bowl game. :old:

Down Up Dick
12-26-2015, 10:08 AM
Well, we watched some of the Washington/So. Miss and Washington State/Miami, but we couldn't "get into" 'em. Now my wife is watching a big baking contest, and I'm gonna banjo a bit.

So . . . both Washington teams won, with pretty good second halves. It snowed like mad in El Paso, Tx of all places.

Later, we'll watch Nebraska/UCLA. (Later). And we did (mostly, I slept some); the part that I saw was very satisfying--a well deserved win for Nebraska.

Down Up Dick
12-29-2015, 07:24 PM
I didn't watch it, but Air Force lost big today--too bad. :old:

Down Up Dick
12-31-2015, 03:08 AM
Well, after the party, we sat down to watch the USC/Wisconsin game, but I got into some serious ZZZs and missed the whole darned game. I don't even know who won. Too much food and merriment for an ol' guy I guess.

Notre Dame plays tomorrow. I'm glad it's during the middle of the day. Maybe I'll see some of it. :old:

wickedwahine11
12-31-2015, 03:38 AM
Well, after the party, we sat down to watch the USC/Wisconsin game, but I got into some serious ZZZs and missed the whole darned game. I don't even know who won. Too much food and merriment for an ol' guy I guess.

Notre Dame plays tomorrow. I'm glad it's during the middle of the day. Maybe I'll see some of it. :old:

Wisconsin won. Sigh. As a Trojan fan, I am trying to forget about football and look forward to baseball's Opening Day. Though as a Red Sox fan, the last few years haven't been very fun. :p

Down Up Dick
12-31-2015, 05:52 AM
Well, I only follow college football (when I'm awake), so I'll soon be done 'til next year. Baseball's much too slow.

Have a Happy New Year full of whatever you like. :old:

Down Up Dick
01-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Well, Notre Dame couldn't do it. They seemed a little slow today, and they kept overthrowing passes. Ohio played very, very well though. We watched a little of the Michigan game too. Michigan played well too. I always like to watch them. They usta have an outstanding band. Well, the Rose Bowl was pretty much a rout from the very beginning. That McCaffrey is really somethin' else.

Well, that pretty much does it for this season, but, that's okay, I've had my fill of football for a while. In the fall, we'll start 'er all over again.

Happy New Year fans! :old:

pritch
01-01-2016, 02:54 PM
It's summer time here and I don't usually turn the TV on until the evening news. If people in North America are watching a match on Friday night it's showing here on Saturday afternoon which is a good time. Specially if the weather is a bit off. I guess if I watch enough I'll get to know some of the finer points. Said he hopefully...

Down Up Dick
01-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Well, I was wrong (again); there is more football. Tonight we're watchin' Oregon/TCU. Oregon looked great the first half, but, wow! what an, ugly, disappointing game they played in the second half.

We missed the beginning of the Arizona State game because of the Oregon/TCU mess. This game was better, but I couldn't stay up to the end.

Well, the season is over now for sure, except for the Champianship game which I probably won't watch. :old:

Down Up Dick
01-11-2016, 06:30 PM
Well, I picked Clemson, and my wife picked Alabama--Ahhh, well . . . :old:

JJFN
01-12-2016, 05:59 AM
Better she won DUD, better she won!

JJFN
01-12-2016, 06:09 AM
No College Football for a while. Bummer!

Down Up Dick
01-12-2016, 09:23 AM
No College Football for a while. Bummer!

Nah! I've had enough for a while. We'll be all the more avid fans next year. :old: