BBC Magazine video bit on Pete Howlett

That looks super interesting!

Pete Howlett has parkinsons article says, oh no... take care man

The ukulele maker and his race against Parkinson's

17 August 2015 Last updated at 00:01 BST

For many people, the sound of the ukulele transports them to the tropical paradise of Hawaii. More recently it's been popular among hipsters.

Pete Howlett lives 7,000 miles from the islands where the instrument originated, but his ukes are some of the most sought after in the world.

He said that he would only make 1,000 of the instruments, but has recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

In his workshop, in the foothills of Snowdon, he has now gathered the wood for his final few ukuleles.

Pete is an under appreciated treasure. A lot of fads come and go in this forum, but Pete has been making great ukuleles for many years. The Custom Vita uke copy that Pete made for me is one of the very finest ukes I have ever played. He has been very generous in his participation in this forum. Yes, he is sometimes opinionated and sometimes frustrated, but he is the real deal and a truly great builder. I've never met him personally, but we have corresponded. A friend of mine who knows him says he is an incredibly nice person when you meet him. It is very sad that he has Parkinsons. We should give Pete the appreciation he deserves.

My dad had Parkinson's. He was a carpenter and cabinetmaker. He continued to work in his shop for many years after he was diagnosed. There is no cure for Parkinson's, but they can control the shakiness with medication for a long time. I hope that Pete can control his, and continue to be active. One of my dad's responses to people was, "don't count me out yet, I'm still here."

Last edited:
Very cool segment. I wish him all the best.

Love and Light to Pete. I hope I get to play one of his ukes someday....he seems like such a wonderful man, really cares about his craft.

Top Bottom