Seattle?

dominicfoundthemooon

Reaction score
this is a quick shout out and question to anyone who lives in Seattle.. i might be calling that place home for the summer starting JUNE 1st and have a few questions..

i am looking for an area to live in that has a big ART and MUSIC community. i realize that the city as a whole it all about this stuff.. but i am talking about neighborhoods.

here in KC i live in what is called WESTPORT / PLAZA and that is where all the venues and gallerys are.. not to mention little shops and funky people..

ideas?

d

Lots of places but check out Fremont first.

Listen to the wise Hobbit. Fremont was made for you. There is also Ballard, Capitol Hill, the U-District (as in University of Washington or "you-dub" as they say hereabouts...), Wallingford, and a few dozen others depending on price range and preference.

Fremont/Ballard would be my first pick for you. Fremont also has the best Uke / Acoustic Instrument shop in the state - "Dusty Strings". I'd live there myself if I was renting.

What brings you up this way?

Last edited:
Listen to the wise Hobbit. Fremont was made for you. There is also Ballard, Capitol Hill, the U-District (as in University of Washington or "you-dub" as they say hereabouts...), Wallingford, and a few dozen others depending on price range and preference.

Fremont/Ballard would be my first pick for you. Fremont also has the best Uke / Acoustic Instrument shop in the state - "Dusty Strings". I'd live there myself if I was renting.

What brings you up this way?

thanks... i will take a look around.. so you are both from seattle.. that is cool.. i think i met one other person on here..

well my future wife "might" be working there.. she is a travel nurse.. she moves around the country... and i am going to quit my job.. pack my ukes and head with her! seems like we are looking at seattle as stop number one! we would be there from JAN 1st and about 4 months..

our price range is... well her job pays for the appartment... and she gets to tell them some stuff she wants.. i know when she was in hawaii for the last 8 months they had her in a place that was 2000+ a month for a one bedroom.. i think we are looking at 900 - 1500 price rage.. is that about right?

d

Fremont

I will triple the nomination of the Fremont District as the place to be for what you're looking for. There's a great music store there called the Dusty Strings that has a whole room dedicated to ukuleles.

Seattle

I second Fremont and Ballard, having recently lived in historic Ballard for 3 of my seven years in Seattle.

However, I would seriously consider where your soon to be wife is going to be working when looking for a place to live. Traffic is not fun if you've got to commute anywhere near Northgate, the Renton curves, Mercer exit, West Seattle Bridge, etc... Seattle offers so many awesome places to live. It's a spread out city with a fantastic amount of self-contained communities.

Also, Dusty Strings IS the best in Seattle.

I'm currently living in Ballard.

I think those of you who're raving about Dusty Strings -- a worthy enough store, for certain -- should definitely check out The Trading Musician. Not as broad a selection of new ukulele, but oh goodness do they get some jewels in the used department.

I'm currently living in Ballard.

I think those of you who're raving about Dusty Strings -- a worthy enough store, for certain -- should definitely check out The Trading Musician. Not as broad a selection of new ukulele, but oh goodness do they get some jewels in the used department.

Oh yeah! Up on Roosevelt! Totally forgot those cats - GREAT store, haven't been there in ages. I know where I'm off to on Saturday! Thanks HH.

Been a while since I rented Dom, but 1200-1500 sounds about right. Lots of condos suddenly dropped in price over in Ballard, so renting a bigger place may be doable as well. HH may know the current market better, I've been over on the Eastside of the lake for a few years.

wow... keep the advice coming... now are there any open mics that are not scary... do you guys ever get together?

My advice - come to Portland instead. Better beer.

Alberta Arts District or Mississippi Street areas.

sorry.. HH open MIKE!!! yeah.. like small ones.. sometimes i go to them.. and people are all "I WANT TO BE A STAR" and take themselves very serious.. which is okay for some.. but for me.. i like more laid back open mikes.. like beginner open mikes.. the one i host.. is very supportive.. i love it when people who are new get up on stage!! i always give them time.. and we talk about how to get better.. and stuff like that.. its a community of people.. many have become my main friends!!

Seattle meetups

Personally, I've very new to this forum, so I don't know any of the other guys who contributed to this thread. Wouldn't be opposed to meeting them though! As for open mics, yeah, there's lots.

That's me and Sketch at the Ballard Sunday Market. Mind is a little fuzzy here so I have no idea if I put it online anywhere or not. Where'd you find it?

Top Bottom