PDA

View Full Version : LfdM NUD

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 10:38 AM
If you read my LfdM build thread I was counting the days until my ukulele was complete, well it is here. I picked it up on Wednesday Aug 12th at Luis's house. Simon (sam13) came along to add to the festivities.

I had detailed the uke through out the last thread so this will be mostly pictorial. Hey, who doesn't like pictures. Luis asks you to name your uke so meet "Sofia". To recap the build details.

Tenor
Sitka spruce top
Amazon Rosewood back and sides
Cutaway
Soundport
Laskin armrest
Radius fretboard
Zero fret
Ebony binding, armrest, fretboard, bridge and headstock overlay
Spalted Maple rosette and bridge accent
Black, White and Red purfing
LR Baggs 5.0 pickup

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 10:44 AM
More Pics.Luis surprised me with a crazy detail with some red, white black purfing inside the sound port hole. Matches the purfing on the sound board

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Again some really nice work

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Pictures....more fun pictures. Mug shots

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 11:12 AM
More fine details that Luis does so well. It sounds and plays even better than it looks. All my other ukes are going to become very bored just sitting in their cases.

Jim Hanks
08-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Gobstopping good! Love the rosette and the side port in particular.

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks Jim. I have another uke with a side sound port but it is closer to the waist and smaller in diameter. This one on the LfdM is like having head phones on the sound is directed at you so efficiently.

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Opps, almost forgot the mandatory pictures of the back. Luis is big VERY big on Amazon Rosewood stating it is extremely close in tone to Brazilian Rosewood. He believes strongly that the type of wood used on the back does make enough difference in the sound to warrant paying close attention to what is used. Some luthiers say it does not matter but Luis was the guy building this so I listened to him. It is not spectacular looking but "Sofia" sounds amazing so I am happy.

Hippie Dribble
08-17-2015, 12:42 PM
It's just beautiful Dave, in every way. Huge congrats mate. Love the three stooges shots too, nice to see what you guys look like. Cheers brother.

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 12:45 PM
Wow mate, congratulations! What a beautiful ukulele. I love everything about this uke, the design features and build quality look totally amazing. Enjoy it my friend. Any chance of a sound sample?

I appreciate the kind words Cambell. I don't do any recording at all, I am a techo dummie. But I have been thinking of it so if and when I do it I will record Sofia. I will let you know when that happens.

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 12:47 PM
It's just beautiful Dave, in every way. Huge congrats mate. Love the three stooges shots too, nice to see what you guys look like. Cheers brother.

I was just waiting for the "Three Stooges" comment, hahahaha, I love it. Thanks Jon :shaka:

Down Up Dick
08-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Really, really spectacular, Name-Brutha, and Hippie Dribble is correct, it is nice to see what people on the forum look like. Now, you'll just hafta latch on to that open mike some more.

Great lookin' Uke. I hope you get a lotta enjoyment out of it. :old:

Dan Uke
08-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Wow!! It's nice to have the LR Baggs control in the side soundport as it's easier to access without the string getting in the way.

You guys need to visit Hawaii or Cali and get some sun!! :p

Rllink
08-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Very nice and one of a kind. That is cool. I know that you will enjoy it.

billten
08-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Wow, she's a beauty Dave. I'd love a sound clip or two, she looks like a perfect finger-picking instrument to me. Congratulations man, enjoy her.

greenie44
08-17-2015, 01:55 PM
I recently had the chance to play a whole bunch of high end ukes, and the one that really stood out was an LfdM. Like I need another dream uke . . .. <g>

wayfarer75
08-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Lovely uke! I'm quite jealous!

lakesideglenn
08-17-2015, 02:11 PM
That's a beauty...let's hear it!

Congrats!

Doc_J
08-17-2015, 02:20 PM
Sweet! She's got great looks! The detail by Luis is really clean.

Can't wait to hear it.

Congratulations !

rappsy
08-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Another child to bring joy to Canada. Congrats on a beautiful future together.

M3Ukulele
08-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Awsome. Congratulations..... You are a very lucky man to have such a wonderful ukulele. Love to hear souns samples and comments on how it stacks up against all you other premium ukuleles. Have fun and enjoy this moment.
Cheers

Nickie
08-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Congratulations! I like it!
Is that made by the company that made guitars for Django Rienhardt? It sure looks like it.

kvehe
08-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Oh my, it is absolutely gorgeous! I am so happy for you! What kind of strings does it have?

mm stan
08-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Congratulations Dave, 8ts a beauty. Whoa happy strummings :)

SoloRule
08-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Your GF are getting prettier and prettier.
Let me know when you have an open house . Would love to meet them all . May be you are ready to put one or two up for adoption ?
Nice pic of you and sam13 too!
Thank you for sharing your excitement with these detail shots! It's a beauty!

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 04:36 PM
@DUD2 - This appears to be the ONE. I will definetly do an open mic with it

@nongdam- Good catch noticing the volume wheel in the sound hole edge, it is very easy to access. You're right us Canadians could use more sun. :cool:

@Rllink- That is the fun thing about having a uke built for you, they are one of a kind and you can put your personal touches on it.

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 04:45 PM
@Bilten- Sure is a fingerpicking machine. Too bad it is not a lefty we could meet up again for another parking lot jam and you could give it a workout. We should do it anyways!!!

@greenie- Thanks much, so glad you were that impressed with LfdM's

@Wayfarer- Thanks for being jealous, I have been jealous of many others ukes

Ukulele Eddie
08-17-2015, 04:51 PM
Very nice! I'm sure that's a keeper!

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 05:01 PM
@Doc J- You certainly know about clean builds and yes this is really nice.

@Lenny- I had it up to a friends cottage on the weekend, so the Canadian country side got some uke music for sure

@M3Ukulele- Thank you I do feel very lucky. To answer your question this beats everything I have. Compass Rose, Mya Moe, Collings, Webber, Pono they are all pale in comparision. Those are all great sounding ukes and I am grateful to own them but the LfdM is in another league.

@Nickie- Luis feu de Mequita is the builder, he also builds jazz, flamingo and spanish guitar. You have a good eye because he designed these after Django Rienhardt's instrument.

I know a number of you have asked about sound samples. Unfortunately I am techo knob and I do not record, sorry about that.

DownUpDave
08-17-2015, 05:12 PM
@Kathryn- I am really happy to own this. The strings are South Coast HML-RW, I have them on two other tenors. I like them a lot.

@Stan- Thanks, I certainly will have "happy strumming"

@Eddie- It is most definitely a keeper, thanks

@ SoloRule- An open house is a good idea. I could have a BBQ, invite other uke players over. Everybody brings three ukes minimum, we could have a uke orgy. Kinda like a swingers club for uke players, we will swap back and forth all night. :o

SoloRule
08-18-2015, 03:06 AM
@Kathryn- I am really happy to own this. The strings are South Coast HML-RW, I have them on two other tenors. I like them a lot.

@Stan- Thanks, I certainly will have "happy strumming"

@Eddie- It is most definitely a keeper, thanks

@ SoloRule- An open house is a good idea. I could have a BBQ, invite other uke players over. Everybody brings three ukes minimum, we could have a uke orgy. Kinda like a swingers club for uke players, we will swap back and forth all night. :o

Don't tempt me until you are absolutely sure about this BBQ. Let's do a pot luck so you don't have to sweat over the stove. I will be back second week of September so don't do it while I am gone.

sam13
08-18-2015, 07:56 AM
Wow ... great comments from everyone and not surprising as this Ukulele is a stunner to look at and even better when played.

I feel a little responsible for the gluttony of quality Ukuleles Dave has accumulated over the last bit ... he was completely satisfied playing his "Dirty Gurdy" Gretsch Laminate Tenor Uke until he grabbed hold of my Pono Pro Classic ETSH5 ... and then it has been quite a ride and collection of excellent Ukes which lead us to Sophia.

I met Hawaii50 on UU and he turned me onto Luis Feu de Mesquita (thank you Len) ... who lives about 10 minutes from my house ... imagine. Someone from Hawaii that leads me, and Dave along with me, to visit one of the Ukulele kingdom's greatest luthiers. Luis is a tremendous gentlemen, thoughtful, wise and patient. If you get a chance to work with him, Luis will create a masterpiece for you.

I had a secret in mind when I took Dave along to visit with Luis, and that was for him to get one as well ... and now, we are just a couple of wild and crazy guys!

Sophia is a stunner ... and Dave gave me a chance to grab hold of her at pickup, give her lots of strumming and the note separation, warmth and sustain are amazing ... so great.

@HippyDribble ... hope you understand that I am the younger one there ... lol.

I am happy for my good friend and if he doesn't want to play something for you, I will if I can pry Sophia from his hands.

Sophia will inspire many more LFdM Ukuleles.

Congrats, buddy.

Rakelele
08-18-2015, 08:11 AM
Welcome to Ukulele Heaven, my friend! I am so happy for you, and it was a joy for me, too, to follow your uke being built and to share your excitement. It turned out very classy looking, and I bet it sounds that way, too. Would love to hear yours and Simon's next to mine, so get over here, you two! :D

SoloRule
08-18-2015, 09:26 AM
Wow ... great comments from everyone and not surprising as this Ukulele is a stunner to look at and even better when played.

I feel a little responsible for the gluttony of quality Ukuleles Dave has accumulated over the last bit ... he was completely satisfied playing his "Dirty Gurdy" Gretsch Laminate Tenor Uke until he grabbed hold of my Pono Pro Classic ETSH5 ... and then it has been quite a ride and collection of excellent Ukes which lead us to Sophia.

I met Hawaii50 on UU and he turned me onto Luis Feu de Mesquita (thank you Len) ... who lives about 10 minutes from my house ... imagine. Someone from Hawaii that leads me, and Dave along with me, to visit one of the Ukulele kingdom's greatest luthiers. Luis is a tremendous gentlemen, thoughtful, wise and patient. If you get a chance to work with him, Luis will create a masterpiece for you.

I had a secret in mind when I took Dave along to visit with Luis, and that was for him to get one as well ... and now, we are just a couple of wild and crazy guys!

Sophia is a stunner ... and Dave gave me a chance to grab hold of her at pickup, give her lots of strumming and the note separation, warmth and sustain are amazing ... so great.

I am happy for my good friend and if he doesn't want to play something for you, I will if I can pry Sophia from his hands.

Congrats, buddy.

Can we have a photo of you with Bella and Dave with Sophia??
We need to compare who is the better looking couple.
BTW Hawaii 50 is a bad influence ! :-)

mds725
08-18-2015, 09:39 AM
Congratulations! That's a beautiful ukulele! I had the chance to play a LfdM recently and was blown away by how warm and resonant it sounded. I hope that playing it brings you lots of joy!

Steveperrywriter
08-18-2015, 12:48 PM
Lovely. Truly.

Hippie Dribble
08-18-2015, 12:55 PM

Didn't doubt it for a second, Simon. I'd pick you in any line-up. :p

guitharsis
08-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Congrats! Beautiful, classy-looking uke. Love the rosette. Great pics of the uke and all of you. Thanks for sharing.

Dancing Seahorse
08-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Wow! There are no words...Sofia is just lovely! Congratulations, Dave.

Thank you for sharing the entire process and photos with us. It was almost, just almost, like we were there with you.:)

DownUpDave
08-18-2015, 02:38 PM

Simon is the young one and I am the good looking one. We all have our pluses. :biglaugh:

Thanks heaps for the nice comments Simon old buddy, they mean a lot. I am glad you admit you're the cause of me have so many nice ukes.....thank you ;) If not for you I would not own this ukulele.

@Raklele, Hey Rainer you're a big part of me having a LfdM. I really respect your high opinion of the one you and your wife own, does she let you play it :p You probably have to sneek it when she is asleep.......they are that nice.

@mds 725- Thanks and I hope you enjoy your new BH tenor as much, I'm sure you will, it is a beauty.

DownUpDave
08-18-2015, 03:13 PM
@steveperrywriter-Coming from the owner of a beautiful BH tenor your comments really mean something

@guitarsis- Much appreciated, so glad I could share the pics. I have always enjoyed other people's NUDs with lots of pictures.

@Dancing Seahorse- We will have to hook up at Corktown and I will bring "Sofia" along for you to fondle and play ;) . I have not told Joyce yet, I'd better hurry or she will kill me.

hawaii 50
08-18-2015, 03:21 PM

Congrats, buddy.

once I met Luis and saw his work...which is getting better and better everyday I decided to order an LFDM...Luis was kind enough to let me send him set of tonewoods(Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce)...that I had bought... his LFDM ukes have nice deep tone and super clean highs....note separation is so good......

but most of all Luis is a wonderful man....he has done a lot for me and I appreciate all he does for others.....knowing builders like Luis makes loving their ukes very easy....and my ears love them too.....Aloha Simon and Dave.......:)

Hippie Dribble
08-18-2015, 03:43 PM
once I met Luis and saw his work...which is getting better and better everyday I decided to order an LFDM...Luis was kind enough to let me send him set of tonewoods(Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce)...that I had bought... his LFDM ukes have nice deep tone and super clean highs....note separation is so good......

but most of all Luis is a wonderful man....he has done a lot for me and I appreciate all he does for others.....knowing builders like Luis makes loving their ukes very easy....and my ears love them too.....Aloha Simon and Dave.......:)
So well said Len. Herein lies the rub about why folks are prepared to pay more for custom instruments.

dalamaricus
08-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Looks amazing! I'd love to hear a sound sample too if you can. Do you know what kind of finish is on it?

DownUpDave
08-18-2015, 11:43 PM
Looks amazing! I'd love to hear a sound sample too if you can. Do you know what kind of finish is on it?

I guess I will have to get off my butt and learn how to record. The finish that Luis uses is a water based lacquer.

hollisdwyer
08-19-2015, 12:40 AM
All the people who I know who own a LFDM consider them to be brilliant instruments. Looking at the detailed photos, I can see why you have fallen in love with your Sofia. Congratulations on a great acquisition.

Beau Hannam Ukuleles
08-19-2015, 11:08 AM
More Pics.Luis surprised me with a crazy detail with some red, white black purfing inside the sound port hole. Matches the purfing on the sound board

nice touch!- i like that red

sam13
08-20-2015, 07:29 AM

Thanks John, your cheque is in the mail ... Dave has recently taken a few vanity shots of Sophia and him together ... he looks much younger in them ... amazing what the right Uke will do for a man or woman! LOL.

sam13
08-20-2015, 07:30 AM
nice touch!- i like that red

Hey Beau, I think you or Moore Bettah Ukes inspired ... I agree nice touch ... your stuff is just fabulous as well.

sam13
08-20-2015, 07:33 AM

I agree with you Len, Luis is a tremendous gentleman who truly cares about his clients and the Ukes he creates. It was very nice to be asked to his place to play a little for his friends and family earlier this month. It is easy to make this kind of referral for the player and the luthier. Cheers!

DownUpDave
08-21-2015, 11:46 PM
There are a few more photos I should show and a couple points I would like to illustrate. I incorporated features from other ukes I own or have played that made a difference. One is a satin finish neck, I have that on my Webber. When discussing this with Luis he basically said there is no down side to a satin neck. If you have not played one the finish stays slick and fast even when your hands are sticky and sweaty.

I decided to not have any fretboard marker so went with larger side dot markers. I have these on another uke, they are 5/32" in diameter and are very visible. This will be my choice for any other customs in the future.

DownUpDave
08-21-2015, 11:58 PM
Another thing that aids in ease of playing for me is a long or gradual headstock taper. I have played other slotheads where my hand felt jammed playing anything like a E7 chord. This is Luis's usual taper at the side but he releaved even more than usual at the back allowing my hand to slide way up with no contact.

Something Luis does to all his instruments is making the fret ends spherical, you will never catch anything on those ends, brilliant. Something else that makes a huge difference is that all edges, including and most importantly the bindings are rounded off. This makes it VERY comfortable to play

DownUpDave
08-22-2015, 12:06 AM
The armrest is the ultimate in playing comfort.

VegasGeorge
08-22-2015, 02:33 AM
"Beautiful" doesn't quite do it justice. "Magnificent" comes closer. Question: What am I looking at in the picture of the bottom cutaway, what is that crinkly looking dark material?

DownUpDave
08-22-2015, 02:53 AM
"Beautiful" doesn't quite do it justice. "Magnificent" comes closer. Question: What am I looking at in the picture of the bottom cutaway, what is that crinkly looking dark material?

Thank you George. I am not sure of the question you are asking. The arm rest is made of ebony, it might appear crinkly looking because of reflections, it is very smooth. If you could give the post # and picture # I might be able to answer your question.

In review it might be the spalted maple accent strip on the bridge.

Dan Uke
08-22-2015, 04:35 AM
Another thing that aids in ease of playing for me is a long or gradual headstock taper. I have played other slotheads where my hand felt jammed playing anything like a E7 chord. This is Luis's usual taper at the side but he releaved even more than usual at the back allowing my hand to slide way up with no contact.

Something Luis does to all his instruments is making the fret ends spherical, you will never catch anything on those ends, brilliant. Something else that makes a huge difference is that all edges, including and most importantly the bindings are rounded off. This makes it VERY comfortable to play

haha. Those are all refinements that he has improved on with experience. His newer ones are better than the earlier ones. He is great in that he is humble and will listen to the client and will try to customize the uke. I've worked with several custom builders and they are not all flexible. Some custom builders are more like production ukes except they are allow you to pick the wood choice and shape. Luis truly wants your uke to be personal and that's why he has such a loyal following.

bonesoup
08-22-2015, 08:12 AM
Dave, are you kidding me?? Something that stunning can't be real! No problem if you don't want to record but maybe you could give Simon a shot at it.. But hey in any case, that is phenomenal. And in addition to the aesthetics Luis seems to be detail-oriented too. How remarkable. Congratulations!

Trader Todd
08-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Beautiful craftsmanship! You are ordered to strum and hum her daily!

brimmer
08-23-2015, 04:12 PM
The red in the purfling is a lovely touch. What a sweet color. A gorgeous instrument all around, congrats!

dalamaricus
08-23-2015, 09:12 PM
That's very thoughtful! I have a non-slothead uke where the tuning pegs get in the way of chords like E7. It's great when you can get seemingly little things like this customized.

VegasGeorge
08-24-2015, 01:43 AM

The third and fourth pics in your 2nd post show it best. It's on the front top side of the lower bout. It looks very pretty, but I don't know what it is.

DownUpDave
08-24-2015, 03:06 AM
The third and fourth pics in your 2nd post show it best. It's on the front top side of the lower bout. It looks very pretty, but I don't know what it is.

If my brain is working and I am reading your question correctly that is an armrest made from black ebony. Hope I got that right.