LfdM NUD

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
If you read my LfdM build thread I was counting the days until my ukulele was complete, well it is here. I picked it up on Wednesday Aug 12th at Luis's house. Simon (sam13) came along to add to the festivities.

I had detailed the uke through out the last thread so this will be mostly pictorial. Hey, who doesn't like pictures. Luis asks you to name your uke so meet "Sofia". To recap the build details.

Tenor
Sitka spruce top
Amazon Rosewood back and sides
Cutaway
Soundport
Laskin armrest
Radius fretboard
Zero fret
Ebony binding, armrest, fretboard, bridge and headstock overlay
Spalted Maple rosette and bridge accent
Black, White and Red purfing
LR Baggs 5.0 pickup

3 quarter 1.jpg3 quarter 2.jpg3 quarter 3.jpgheadstock 4.jpg

Last edited:
More Pics.Luis surprised me with a crazy detail with some red, white black purfing inside the sound port hole. Matches the purfing on the sound board

Attachments

• soundhole trim 5.jpg
    soundhole trim 5.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 117
  • left binding 6.jpg
    left binding 6.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 90
  • zoom tailend 8.jpg
    zoom tailend 8.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 106
  • tailstock 7.jpg
    tailstock 7.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Again some really nice work

headstock 9.jpgoutside left 10.jpgoutside right 11.jpgoutside face on 12.jpg

Attachments

• 2A036994-DC39-4E8E-ACF3-C361FD6B7C9C.jpg
    2A036994-DC39-4E8E-ACF3-C361FD6B7C9C.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
More fine details that Luis does so well. It sounds and plays even better than it looks. All my other ukes are going to become very bored just sitting in their cases.

front trim a.jpgfront trim b.jpgtrim and Baggs c.jpgsoundboard d.jpg

Last edited:
Gobstopping good! Love the rosette and the side port in particular.

Thanks Jim. I have another uke with a side sound port but it is closer to the waist and smaller in diameter. This one on the LfdM is like having head phones on the sound is directed at you so efficiently.

Opps, almost forgot the mandatory pictures of the back. Luis is big VERY big on Amazon Rosewood stating it is extremely close in tone to Brazilian Rosewood. He believes strongly that the type of wood used on the back does make enough difference in the sound to warrant paying close attention to what is used. Some luthiers say it does not matter but Luis was the guy building this so I listened to him. It is not spectacular looking but "Sofia" sounds amazing so I am happy.

Attachments

• back 1.jpg
    back 1.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 66
  • back 2.jpg
    back 2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 50
  • back 3.jpg
    back 3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 61
It's just beautiful Dave, in every way. Huge congrats mate. Love the three stooges shots too, nice to see what you guys look like. Cheers brother.

Wow mate, congratulations! What a beautiful ukulele. I love everything about this uke, the design features and build quality look totally amazing. Enjoy it my friend. Any chance of a sound sample?

I appreciate the kind words Cambell. I don't do any recording at all, I am a techo dummie. But I have been thinking of it so if and when I do it I will record Sofia. I will let you know when that happens.

Really, really spectacular, Name-Brutha, and Hippie Dribble is correct, it is nice to see what people on the forum look like. Now, you'll just hafta latch on to that open mike some more.

Great lookin' Uke. I hope you get a lotta enjoyment out of it. :eek:ld:

Wow!! It's nice to have the LR Baggs control in the side soundport as it's easier to access without the string getting in the way.

You guys need to visit Hawaii or Cali and get some sun!! :p

Very nice and one of a kind. That is cool. I know that you will enjoy it.

Wow, she's a beauty Dave. I'd love a sound clip or two, she looks like a perfect finger-picking instrument to me. Congratulations man, enjoy her.

I recently had the chance to play a whole bunch of high end ukes, and the one that really stood out was an LfdM. Like I need another dream uke . . .. <g>

Sweet! She's got great looks! The detail by Luis is really clean.

Can't wait to hear it.

Congratulations !

Another child to bring joy to Canada. Congrats on a beautiful future together.

Top Bottom