PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Michigan!

The Duke of Uke
08-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Good evening, fellow enthusiasts! I just got my first ukulele a few weeks ago. It's a Luna Tattoo concert. I know I'm a bit pretentious in calling myself a duke. Really, I'm little better than a baron or earl. But those don't rhyme. :)

The Duke of Uke
08-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Oops, I'm sorry. I meant to post this to the introductions thread. Could one of the mods move it there?

ohmless
08-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Hello there. I live in Michigan also and there are many clubs to learn with around. BTW, many royals are born with their titles so it doesn't have to be earned!

Purdy Bear
08-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Hi Duke, welcome to the forum. I've been playing 4 weeks, and there are a lot of other newbies on here.

PhilUSAFRet
08-18-2015, 01:35 AM
Greetings and welcome. Glad you joined us.

HBolte
08-18-2015, 01:41 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Rllink
08-18-2015, 03:27 AM
Oops, I'm sorry. I meant to post this to the introductions thread. Could one of the mods move it there?
Welcome, and don't worry, most everything gets posted in the Beginners thread, or Uke Talk, so you've hit the ground running.

The Duke of Uke
08-18-2015, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the welcome, everybody!

BTW, many royals are born with their titles so it doesn't have to be earned!

Whew, that's a load off my mind. :D

TexasRon
08-18-2015, 06:52 AM
Greetings Duke. Newbie here too. You are actually a little ahead of me because I am still gathering info so I can make an "educated" purchase with my first uke. I have looked at some of the Luna Tattoos. Very nice looking instruments. How do they sound?

The Duke of Uke
08-18-2015, 07:09 AM
Thanks, TexasRon. To my untrained ear, the Luna Tattoo concert sounds just fine. Though to be honest, this is the only uke I've ever played. It feels good in my hands, and you're right, they do look cool!

ohmless
08-18-2015, 08:51 AM
luna tatoos are just fine to learn on. I learned on a comparable Cordoba that had an edge more resonance, but that could just be due to individual variances. If the tattoo looks cool to you and the instrument wants to be played, then go for that one. It was meant for you. If I were to get a tattooed uke, I would go for the Lanikai Sailor Jerry cause it has the pictures most desirable by ME. never heard one in my life though so your tattoo might be the better instrument to the ear in side by side testing for all I know. Your mileage and tastes may vary. Just get what is you and what will inspire you to play every day.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lanikai-Sailor-Jerry-Mahogany-Concert-Ukulele-110733508-i3936629.gc

when you get the instrument, you want to pluck the string while fingering every note one at a time in the first five frets or so to look for buzzes. If there are any either get a return or a setup IMO. Now keep in mind that you will get plenty of use out of the first six months or so of playing too with just the first five frets.

The Duke of Uke
08-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Thank you for the tip! I haven't heard any buzzing at all from my Luna, for which I'm grateful. I understand that's often a problem with ukes in general.